Newest Member
    joxey
Post your favorite tornado videos here

Hoosier

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite this video being online for 6 years, somehow hadn't seen it until now.  Darlington, IN on June 2, 1990.  Nice touch with the rainbow next to the tornado

http://youtu.be/7Bd3bESVkaM

I think Skilling showed that vid on one of his tornado shows back in the 90s.  Used it to illustrate how quickly a tornado can damage a house and move on IIRC.

Those tornadoes on 6/2/90 were really racing for a June day, although makes sense given the unseasonably strong trough that produced the outbreak.

Based on Storm Data path lengths and start/end times, storm motions were in excess of 45-50 mph.  I only did some quick checking though so it's possible there were some faster ones.

6/5/2010 had some fairly quick storm motions too IIRC, so I wonder how unusual it is.  In some ways, early June is more like days earlier in spring vs the heart of summer imo.

700 mb flow that day was 45-50+ kts so that makes sense. There quite the upper jet driving it too.

250_100606_00.gif

Despite this video being online for 6 years, somehow hadn't seen it until now.  Darlington, IN on June 2, 1990.  Nice touch with the rainbow next to the tornado

http://youtu.be/7Bd3bESVkaM

Besides the more white look to it, it looks almost identical to the Yates City/Elmwood, IL tornado on 6/5/10 both size/structure and how it moved. 

700 mb flow that day was 45-50+ kts so that makes sense. There quite the upper jet driving it too.

250_100606_00.gif

Yeah we made one little wrong road decision before the supercell produced its tornadoes and we ended up looking E and ESE at them most of the time instead of being a little closer and looking north if we would of taken the better road option, tough day to chase given the speeds but still managed to be fairly close. 

Speaking of ripping storm motions, two events with some seriously swift moving storms have happened in this region in the last three years (3/2/12 and 11/17/13 of course). I'd have to think these two are among the all-timers in terms of severe wx events regarding mid level wind strength.

http://youtu.be/BPh3IRQGsAI

**Caution for the language**

Even though it's short, the motion on this beast is incredible. Our incident command was actually not far from this guy's location. The tree that fell gave it away for me. I think I passed that thing more times than I can remember. In a way, I wish he would have kept going with the recording. After the tornado passed, another storm came through (I think produced a small EF-1) but the baseball sized hail was unreal. There were holes in the ground, windows everywhere were shattered, and on some of the homes that were still standing, it looked like someone hit baseballs into the sides at a high rate of speed. I am rambling now, but this video is always one of my favorites.

Do you guys ever go back and re-read old threads? In the past couple of days I have read through the Joplin thread (for the hundredth time and every time Jomo's words still gives me chills), Henryville, and the Moore, Oklahoma thread.

Do you guys ever go back and re-read old threads? In the past couple of days I have read through the Joplin thread (for the hundredth time and every time Jomo's words still gives me chills), Henryville, and the Moore, Oklahoma thread.

Absolutely. Slow time at work for me, so I am actually sitting in the cube going back through the GHD thread.

I have read the Washington 11/17 thread multiple times, as I had a good buddy get nailed by it; and I was boots on the ground in Washington for work the following day.

Yes, at least once or twice right before spring I usually go through and read the big events, April 2011, OKC 2011, Joplin, Mar 2012, and the OKC tornadoes 2013. Usually helps pass the time at work on a boring shift and gets me into the severe weather mode.

The 2010 Billings Montana tornado video is one of my favorites, the thing was nearly stationary for a whole minute while somebody recorded it ripping up an arena or something from a way too close position, crazy watching the debris fly.

2010 Billings Montana tornado

Wow

Always amazes me how people drive by as if nothing is happening.  :lol:

The 2010 Billings Montana tornado video is one of my favorites, the thing was nearly stationary for a whole minute while somebody recorded it ripping up an arena or something from a way too close position, crazy watching the debris fly.

2010 Billings Montana tornado

What amazes me in this video is just how many people are driving right by the tornado as if nothing is going on. People sometimes are their own worst enemy.

Came across these maps of tornado touchdowns by latitude and longitude that were put together by a met from NWS El Paso.  Kinda cool.

attachicon.gifAllTorsByLat2.png

attachicon.gifAllTorsByLon.png

He also broke them down by F scale category:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+TimBrice/albums/6020811260619629025

jarrell & joplin latitude mins are interesting. 

This video still amazes me, it is from the April 27th 2011 tornado outbreak. It is the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado, at this point it was in eastern Limestone County east of I-65. Just the sheer size of the tornado is amazing to me, at this point it was a mile wide.

jarrell & joplin latitude mins are interesting. 

They both make sense though, Jarrell you tend to not get enough shear that far south plus less land areas compared to the North and the Joplin latitude is muddied by the Ozarks  and Kentucky. Although I would say there probably are some tornadoes that just aren't seen in both areas, within the Joplin latitude, due to terrain/road network.

sad day....crazy video....if this guy new any better, he prolly would have needed a change of pants....that being said, I'm sure his options were limited....not much to see after 1:30....

Can really see the rapid change in wind direction as the tornado goes by. 

This video still amazes me, it is from the April 27th 2011 tornado outbreak. It is the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado, at this point it was in eastern Limestone County east of I-65. Just the sheer size of the tornado is amazing to me, at this point it was a mile wide.

I've never seen this video before. Absolutely incredible.

Archived