joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-27 2014 potential storm...

famartin

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snippet from the model diagnosis posted on the NY forum.

WITH THE
DETERMINISTIC ECMWF APPEARING TOO SLOW AND PROBABLY TOO FAR
SOUTHEAST OFF THE EAST COAST ON TUES. THE 12Z GEFS MEAN FAVORS THE
MORE PROGRESSIVE CAMP GFS-LED CAMP. THEREFORE...BASED ON THE
LATEST TRENDS AND MODEL CLUSTERING...WILL PREFER A BLEND OF THE
12Z GFS/12Z GEM GLOBAL AND 00Z ECENS MEAN...HOWEVER CONFIDENCE
WILL REMAIN LIMITED.

Sounds like this thing is still up for grabs.

For our area, writing is just about on the wall. Come tonight we might need to rely on a Boxing Day miracle shift....However, coastal NE still looks like they're in good shape & I'm considering traveling for this one. 

I really think they (coastal NE) are going to get clobbered so may be worth the trip.   I'm not sure I would be comfortable writing it off for us until tomorrow just because this storm is a beast.

I am shocked at the almost complete lack of chatter about this event. Yeah, I get it.... it's been a long winter with lots and lots of snow and it is now late March and model consensus is pushing it out to sea.... blah... blah... blah. The fact remains that, worst case, there is going to be an intense storm just off the east coast with plenty of cold air nearby. Next year, we are all going to be praying for this scenario to happen, and, if we're lucky, it might happen once... and if we're unlucky, it might be years before this happens again.

Enjoy it now, brothers, because we don't know when mother nature will see fit to do this again.... nor, for that matter, do any of us know how many winters we have left, which is all the more reason to grab every single snow threat with both hands and not let go until the last flake has fallen or it has officially passed us by... regardless of whether it is November or March.

I am shocked at the almost complete lack of chatter about this event. Yeah, I get it.... it's been a long winter with lots and lots of snow and it is now late March and model consensus is pushing it out to sea.... blah... blah... blah. The fact remains that, worst case, there is going to be an intense storm just off the east coast with plenty of cold air nearby. Next year, we are all going to be praying for this scenario to happen, and, if we're lucky, it might happen once... and if we're unlucky, it might be years before this happens again.

Enjoy it now, brothers, because we don't know when mother nature will see fit to do this again.... nor, for that matter, do any of us know how many winters we have left, which is all the more reason to grab every single snow threat with both hands and not let go until the last flake has fallen or it has officially passed us by... regardless of whether it is November or March.

Everyone migrated elsewhere in the forums.  Most here are visiting the NYC forums.  I'm actually also stopping by DC. 

AMEN!!!

Sadly Ray is correct about this forums continental drift per se

I jump around the forums a lot but in the end you get as much information in one page here as you do in 10 pages in the NYC forum without the bickering.

Exactly.

It's funny, I read the comments in this forum and 3 posts in I know what is going on. The other forum I use for entertainment, and 30 pages in I leave more confused than ever.

I am shocked at the almost complete lack of chatter about this event. Yeah, I get it.... it's been a long winter with lots and lots of snow and it is now late March and model consensus is pushing it out to sea.... blah... blah... blah.

there haven't been any big hits on the models yet...for the immediate area.

thus, the lack of insanity.

But a couple of good trends the last few hours.  Euro ENS...

and....

the model nobody talks about, but me.

even though it's just the NAM it tracked dramatically more inland at 18z...compared to 12z.

lets see if GFS follows.

there haven't been any big hits on the models yet...for the immediate area.

thus, the lack of insanity.

But a couple of good trends the last few hours.  Euro ENS...

and....

the model nobody talks about, but me.

even though it's just the NAM it tracked dramatically more inland at 18z...compared to 12z.

lets see if GFS follows.

0 Z runs tonight will be telling.

Still have some opportunity for jump west.

Up where I live, I need more than just a tick west with the current models.

If i lived in coastal DE/NJ or Long Island odds favor some snow.

Best.

0 Z runs tonight will be telling.

Still have some opportunity for jump west.

Up where I live, I need more than just a tick west with the current models.

If i lived in coastal DE/NJ or Long Island odds favor some snow.

Best.

I'm not as far north as you but enough west that I need a pretty good shift west.  As it is we will get some snow, and even if light will be a nice end to a good winter.  I think the 12Z runs tomorrow will be very important.  I have a strong feeling there will be a significant west shift.

Exactly.

It's funny, I read the comments in this forum and 3 posts in I know what is going on. The other forum I use for entertainment, and 30 pages in I leave more confused than ever.

I traveled a lot between NJ and MD the last three years and would frequent the mid Atlantic thread - no knock on them but snow is very special and shear volume of posts made it difficult to figure out what I really needed to know - NY is out of my range here in NJ - Philly forum was always the best fit - and although posters are down it is still the most relevant weather info needed.

As for the upcoming storm - concerns along the coast with wind and wet ground - there have been some trees uprooted from the recent storms in my area (in more wooded areas) - I am old enough to remember Nor'easter's in March (April) in NJ with plenty of snow - this one has a cold source that I have not previously seen that it can tap into and if the dynamics play right...

Will go back to watching and reading and see what Sunday model runs bring....

Need to see some improvements from the 0z runs.

Ray, was Sandy the lowest pressure reading in the NW part of the Alantic? I would think if the current modeled pressure readings verified in the gulf of maine, it would have to be among not to many storms. Correct me if I am wrong.

Pretty sure there was something lower.  Just a hunch, really.

Archived