joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm more referring to the areas where Upton is forecasting widespread 24-36". It just seems high to me based off what I'm seeing. But it will be a dynamic storm, no doubt, and I suspect they are forecasting off of the dynamics and not just the modeled QPF.

Btw, Albany going with 14:1 or 15:1 snow ratios.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of us up here, especially higher elevations, saw 20:1 in the overnight Monday and early morning Tuesday hours

When was the last time there was a blizzard here? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious..
I know it doesn't snow in feet here very often, I'd like to hear some history, your stories, etc..
Last year was my first winter in Rockland and this is my first blizzard here (I was in Massachusetts for the 2013 blizzard.)
If this is the wrong thread for this, I apologize.. and thanks in advance

Who mods this page?

I've been dropping by here this evening....is there something I can help you with? 

When was the last time there was a blizzard here? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious..

I know it doesn't snow in feet here very often, I'd like to hear some history, your stories, etc..

Last year was my first winter in Rockland and this is my first blizzard here (I was in Massachusetts for the 2013 blizzard.)

Enjoy your blizzard Aimz  :wub:   I'm sooooo jealous   :P    

It's ok.. No need to apologize. Actually the lower to mid Hudson valley recieves storms that deliver 1-2' quite often. Within the last 15 yrs we have averaged 1-2 a yr. not sure if you know but areas just to your north in the Hudson highlands average 50-55" a season.

I've been dropping by here this evening....is there something I can help you with? 

Enjoy your blizzard Aimz   :wub:   I'm sooooo jealous   :P    

Thanks, Shellz! Sorry you couldn't be here, but maybe next time around I'll have sleeping quarters set up and ready! 

It's ok.. No need to apologize. Actually the lower to mid Hudson valley recieves storms that deliver 1-2' quite often. Within the last 15 yrs we have averaged 1-2 a yr. not sure if you know but areas just to your north in the Hudson highlands average 50-55" a season.

Ok, so this is not as rare as I thought! The way folks around here are talking is like this happens once every 50 years or something!

I knew Rockland averaged 30-35" a season. Last year we had quite a bit of snow, and I think once storm I measured 15" (I don't remember, just know if was in February.)

I knew north of here got lots of snow.. I wasn't sure how often it happened down this way. 

This is cool though, it's definitely a treat to have two blizzards in 2 years time.. I was way too young to remember and appreciate 1978 (was about 1.5 years old then) and really remember 2013 well. 

Thank you much! I appreciate this!

Those comment threads on the "Hudson Valley Weather" page on facebook are unreadable... scores of people moaning and complaining about the snow. I'll never understand how someone can live at 40N their whole life and still b**ch about winter weather every single year!

Hudson valley weather has been very accurate and down to earth with this forcast however, informing people of the "potential" as soon as it became obvious, instead of downplaying till its was lock like the rest of the mediologist..(misspell intended) :)

Thanks, Shellz! Sorry you couldn't be here, but maybe next time around I'll have sleeping quarters set up and ready!

Ok, so this is not as rare as I thought! The way folks around here are talking is like this happens once every 50 years or something!

I knew Rockland averaged 30-35" a season. Last year we had quite a bit of snow, and I think once storm I measured 15" (I don't remember, just know if was in February.)

I knew north of here got lots of snow.. I wasn't sure how often it happened down this way.

This is cool though, it's definitely a treat to have two blizzards in 2 years time.. I was way too young to remember and appreciate 1978 (was about 1.5 years old then) and really remember 2013 well.

Thank you much! I appreciate this!

Well a storm of this magnitude is rare period but we do cash in on 12"+ storms quite often. There are a few towns located in SE Orange County that we consider the snow belt of the tri-state. Elevation as well as proximity tend to favor that area trenendously. We have plenty of ppl in this sub forum who are knowledgeable with our local climate. Don't be afraid to ask! :)

My call for 5 specific locations...

MGJ-- 19"

SWF-- 21"

POU-- 22"

FWN--18"

HPN-- 25"

My location -- 18"

White Plains over to Danbury always seems to do well in these setups. Probably a good call for a local jackpot zone.

SREF mean came down to earth some on this run. 1.2" for Poughkeepsie (from 1.6"). A little bit less consensus too. I think we are going to see the Euro follow suit and shift a bit east tonight. 

I wish the storm would just start, this model watching stresses me out!

Well a storm of this magnitude is rare period but we do cash in on 12"+ storms quite often. There are a few towns located in SE Orange County that we consider the snow belt of the tri-state. Elevation as well as proximity tend to favor that area trenendously. We have plenty of ppl in this sub forum who are knowledgeable with our local climate. Don't be afraid to ask! :)

my in-laws were talking about 287 Friday night and how one side was dry and the other was completely snow covered.. they said it seemed that the highway was a dividing line.. They are from the city and moved to Spring Valley in the late 60's.. it was cool hearing them talk about snow and weather and getting their perspective, though they were pretty short on details!

From what I'm gathering is Orange County is like the Worcester hills.. no matter how much we all got, Worcester cashes in a little more! 

I want to camp out on the ridge overlooking woodbury commons for this storm. Lol

:lol: 

Archived