wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noaa put out a power point about the storm with a graphic of most of Orange County in 24-36" but it's not updated on the forcast website

The label on that map says "worst case". That is only going to confuse the public since they will see it as Uptons forecast, which it could wind up being at some point I suppose

Blizzard Warning issued here! I'm surprised but obviously in a great way!

Yup I'm surprised too!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

319 PM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

...CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE AREA

FROM LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY...

NJZ002-NYZ067-068-260430-

/O.UPG.KOKX.WS.A.0002.150126T1800Z-150128T0500Z/

/O.NEW.KOKX.BZ.W.0001.150126T1800Z-150128T0500Z/

WESTERN PASSAIC-ORANGE-PUTNAM-

319 PM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST

TUESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST

TUESDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN PASSAIC COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...AND

ORANGE COUNTY NEW YORK.

Not surprised to see the blizzard warnings expanded north. I thought that might happen.

The Euro ensembles look good. Most members are actually at or west of the mean. In fact, a handful actually take the storm inland at one point over SE Mass/RI. QPF of 1-1.5" on the mean.

15Z SREF looks good as well with a mean of 22" here. There were several members that had little if any snow at KPOU, and now all but one have more than 10".

18z NAM looks pretty similar, the precipitation shield shrank ever so slightly to the east, but probably model noise at this point. Totals of 12"+ for most of the region.

As far as predictions go, I'm not sure I buy into the widespread 2-3 feet totals, I think 14-20" (with lollis to 30) is where I'd start and then adjust from there as the next few model runs come in. I hope I'm wrong, but I think some of us in this forum might be on the wrong side of things. Hopefully the cutoff is farther west than it's being depicted in some of these runs.

So basically we have the Euro and to some extent the SREF's in the 2 ft camp, the GFS/RGEM in the 6-12" camp, and the NAM/GEM somewhere in between. An uneasy forecast for sure, especially with these lofty totals being thrown out there. I see that Albany based their forecast off the WPC, which if you read the WPC discussion was based off a blend of mostly the NAM and Euro with some weight added to the GFS.

They def blended models cause the euro gave me close 25-30". My P/C forecast is 13-23"

I guess I'm more referring to the areas where Upton is forecasting widespread 24-36". It just seems high to me based off what I'm seeing. But it will be a dynamic storm, no doubt, and I suspect they are forecasting off of the dynamics and not just the modeled QPF. 

Btw, Albany going with 14:1 or 15:1 snow ratios. 

Archived