joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 17-19th Potential Storm.

Heisy

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS was deceiving, after ejecting an initial slug of precipitation northeast and looking good the storm itself is still well south and exits off the carolinas. 

Nothing like the old ggem

To be fair, the initial slug of precip is good for about 5-6 inches of snow in PHL, so it isn't insignificant

12z GFS was deceiving, after ejecting an initial slug of precipitation northeast and looking good the storm itself is still well south and exits off the carolinas. 

Nothing like the old ggem

lol, it changed dramatically at h5 from 0 and 6Z. i don't  think many models are going to be close to the HECS that the gem was showing. Everything would have to phase and eject for that scenario to unfold.

It looks like things are headed to where the main shortwave gets buried (as expected, the 00z GGEM was insane), but the initial slug of moisture could still be really good for our area, if you forget the 00z EURO existed we'd be looking at a 4-8" event with a chance for more. 

But it really sucks to know what could have been if the main shortwave came out like the GGEM had...that would have been my dream storm. 

It looks like things are headed to where the main shortwave gets buried (as expected, the 00z GGEM was insane), but the initial slug of moisture could still be really good for our area, if you forget the 00z EURO existed we'd be looking at a 4-8" event with a chance for more.

But it really sucks to know what could have been if the main shortwave came out like the GGEM had...that would have been my dream storm.

Couldn't this GGEM run be correct though Highz? Show quite a bit of snow for Philly metro no?

If the PV weakens at all, the main pulse of the storm could still easily make it up here. Fluctuations with the PV will determine as much as anything what impacts make it this far north.

Yes, the GFS/NAM look fairly similar to it for that initial burst...but as a weather weenie, it is really frustrating to see how close we are to a HECS lol.

Thanks! You've been on this for at least a week now. Could still work out to a HECS, but a SECS would be very good for mid March

Thanks! You've been on this for at least a week now. Could still work out to a HECS, but a SECS would be very good for mid March

Thanks man, I only post about threats in the 8-10 day range that I believe could produce snow for our area, once we get close 4-5 days I back off, the storm yesterday I backed off once we got to 4-5 days...This storm I haven't. Don't get me wrong with my last post, I'd still be extremely happy if we could pull off 6-8" in late March. 

GGEM shifted a good 100 miles south from 0z, pummels DC and more like the GFS in SEPA. Will south trend continue next runs and take us out of the game like the early march system or hold this course stay tuned...

ggem only model to go south no? Everything else so far came north...awaiting the European

ggem only model to go south no? Everything else so far came north...awaiting the European

To be fair, the GGEM was the only model which brought the entire shortwave out of the south, so it was to be expected that it would likely come south, taken at face value the GGEM is still a MECS, and a 1-10+ year event for this time of year if it happened for Philly S NJ. 

I have a flight out of Philly on tuesday the 18th at 8am do you think it will be clear to fly out. Feel free to delete or move this post. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archived