• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 17-19th Potential Storm.

Heisy

All I remember is during the last major storm the EURO/GFS continually caved toward the GGEM run after run as we got closer to the event. The GGEM is been fairly consistent here, so this will be a good test for it. NAM is most likely out to lunch with its way North solution, I imagine it'll come south at 12z. 

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's deceiving... its strung out like the Euro, with rather light precip during the day which probably would have difficulty accumulating.

Yeah, While it was strung out, I think overall it did try to bring all the energy out to create one main low it just struggled in the process...but its the 6z GFS and the 12z will likely change it completely. That being said a 6z GFS type solution would not be good for the city, we'd def have accumulation issues. 

SECS looks likely for us.

Im all-in for a MECS on this one...forget the SECS :-)

The NAM is likely too far North and/or amped up (I dont trust it past 36 hrs anymore anyway). The GFS is likely a closer solution but too dry and the ULL looks to just skirt us. I am siding with the GGEM for now as it has been most consistent and has a hot hand. Perhaps a Euro/GGEM blend is in order?

The GGEM has really impressed me of late. Even with the storm 2 days ago it never showed a snow solution like the GFS had a few days before. Idk if its the type of pattern or if the GGEM was recently upgraded, but it has been good. 

GGEM had a major upgrade last year from what I can recall and was supposed to (apparently did) make it comparable to the Euro. Its no wonder they both lead the pack right now in verification scores. 

The GFS has been out to lunch with this storm since day 1 so I am not buying into it right now. That darn model was the reason I called this threat dead 3-4 days ago....excels in the medium range my arse. Now i'm eating crow. Gonna ride the hot hand!

This seems insane to me.  How many times has PHL gotten 8-14" in March going back on the record books?  Maybe a handful of times over the past 100 years.  Its possible but highly highly unlikely.  Even 4-8" is a major stretch IMO.  You have to give climo serious consideration when making these proclamations.  I'd go more with:

15% - greater than 4"

25% - 2-4"

60% - less than 2"

SREFs still damn good hit here. 

Right now I'd say for Philly...(my personal feeling)

15%: 8-14"

60%: 4-8"

25%: 1-4"

I feel like the snow will have little trouble accumulating since it's supposed to start at night. By Monday afternoon, snow will just be accumulating on top of the snow that has already fallen, and not the "warm" ground.

The snow will start falling on unfrozen March ground, so the chance of melting from underneath is fairly high.

Archived