• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 17-19th Potential Storm.

Heisy

Let's get some good mojo going. THIS is the storm that could deliver for our area before winter is over. 

00z EURO absolutely buries Philly to NYC with 10-20" of snow. The 00z GFS was close, but closed off the ULL too fast.

The amount of ensemble support on the GFS for some kind of storm in this range is absolutely astonishing for this range;

The GFS has had this storm for 3-4 runs now, CMC had it at 12z FYI. 

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get some good mojo going. THIS is the storm that could deliver for our area before winter is over.

00z EURO absolutely buries Philly to NYC with 10-20" of snow. The 00z GFS was close, but closed off the ULL too fast.

The amount of ensemble support on the GFS for some kind of storm in this range is absolutely astonishing for this range;

The GFS has had this storm for 3-4 runs now, CMC had it at 12z FYI.

I thought u were done for the season?

Most likely this is the last threat for the winter, might as well start a thread, what harm can it cause? 

This started showing up on the EURO the night before last....We're obviously a long way out, but lets keep this thread positive! 

Yes Ralph, I was done until I started seeing model support for this event yesterday. Even the 6z GFS which had a weaker wave was still able to get snow into our area. 

We have better cold air to work with based on the pattern, and a lovely PNA ridge. 

+10000

each subforum has a thread for this potential event, its the last chance for snow in the city and is showing up on all data...yeah its obviously far out but the overall pattern is much more conducive for snow than the one this week. Well still need good timing etc, but I dont understand the big deal with a thread.

each subforum has a thread for this potential event, its the last chance for snow in the city and is showing up on all data...yeah its obviously far out but the overall pattern is much more conducive for snow than the one this week. Well still need good timing etc, but I dont understand the big deal with a thread.

Remember once upon a time where the one this coming week looked like "a much more conducive pattern"?  Yeah, maybe it'll still end up snowing some...

Also, its not the last threat, just the latest one we know about. 

I don't support threat threads any further out than 1 week.  We're not quite there with this one. 

We're still far better than the NYC forums 1200 posts for a threat still several days away that looks like mostly rain.

Remember once upon a time where the one this coming week looked like "a much more conducive pattern"?  Yeah, maybe it'll still end up snowing some...

Also, its not the last threat, just the latest one we know about. 

I don't support threat threads any further out than 1 week.  We're not quite there with this one. 

We're still far better than the NYC forums 1200 posts for a threat still several days away that looks like mostly rain.

This forum is almost dead as it is, I don't think it is a big deal if people want to post about something that is a long-shot or down the road.  If someone finds this too speculative to be worthwhile, just don't read it and/or don't post in the thread.  

Except, inexplicably, NYC! Granted, I hesitate to call that a win, for the same reasons Ray outlined.

PA/NY doesn't either...then again, we just need one thread for all our regions. :lol:

This forum is almost dead as it is, I don't think it is a big deal if people want to post about something that is a long-shot or down the road.  If someone finds this too speculative to be worthwhile, just don't read it and/or don't post in the thread.  

We do have something called a "medium range" thread.  Though it seems to hardly get used.

0Z Euro is suppressed way south and east.  Manages to put down an inch or so but the low track is way southeast of the benchmark.

At 168 it split off some of the energy, if it would of rounded the base of the trough it would of been really good...threat still very much alive. 

At 168 it split off some of the energy, if it would of rounded the base of the trough it would of been really good...threat still very much alive.

hmmm, where have we heard this before? Not trying to be negative but it seems this late winter has featured more of these waves splitting as we near the event. As u said this can and will change countless times

Idk why the poof? EURO dumps on us, the GFS is supressed as expected, the GGEM is real close...EURO is like 8+ for the city. 

Because I am going to side with climo.  Not saying no storm but no snow atm.  Also you are still 7 days out which is borderline fantasy even in the dead of winter let alone March 10th.  

Happens every time a day 8+ threat thread is started. Maybe it will return in the short-medium range?

To be fair, and I know we all know this, but the weather will do what it will do. We can't chase it away or make it happen with a thread. At long leads it's not uncommon for models to lose a storm and bring it back, which is what may happen here.

I am generally in favor of waiting until a threat looks more likely than not before making a thread, but at the same time, even within a week, it's difficult to know whether something will actually pan out. Given that it's March, we are getting fewer threats, and the pattern has seemed to support a potential big snow event, I was fine and am fine with this thread. It's too early to write it off, based on a couple of model runs. If it doesn't come back, it was nice to look at for a couple of days!

Archived