joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That northern stream energy near superior is coming in stronger compared to 6z. Trough axis a little sharper/further west as well. Hopefully the start of a trend.

Yeah, it's definitely improved. We've gone from whiff to graze job. The question is is there future further upside? I'd say probably not.

edit: meh...better than a graze job. Probably a good 0.25" QPF. Still a real thread the needle if there ever was one.

0z Euro pretty much the pinnacle run for here. No where to go but down now, haha.

Other than a few blips, Euro and its ensembles have been insistent on this storm being a bigger deal for the region. Have to like that idea. Finer details and who gets hit is still very much TBD. 

IND saying no big deal...going with the old warm ground defense. Oy vey. 

I'm more concerned with the phasing/system evolution/track than warm ground. 

Yeah, it's definitely improved. We've gone from whiff to graze job. The question is is there future further upside? I'd say probably not.

I would agree that it doesn't have much further NW to budge. The ridge axis is looking way east of where we typically want it along the west coast. The good thing is that the AO/NAO are positive and we have a weakening sfc high moving in from the plains.

I would agree that it doesn't have much further NW to budge. The ridge axis is looking way east of where we typically want it along the west coast. The good thing is that the AO/NAO are positive and we have a weakening sfc high moving in from the plains.

I'd take the 12z NAM/0z EURO. Enough to snow to get to 100 consecutive days of snowcover and burying the old record.

Best snow just north of LAF on the 12z NAM but we're in flux anyway.

Yep, not concerned with the 12z NAM output. Gimme that track and QPF, and we'll do well enough.

Don't forget that models will be coming out an hour later.  It got me as I had a moment where I was wondering why the GFS wasn't coming out yet. 

lol, me too. Hate this time of year for looking at the models. 0z Euro is a complete non-starter for me now. Unless a big big dog is on the way. 

It's the NAM, but it looks pretty good for Detroit from what I can tell. 

Oh, and lol @ extreme gradient over DVN cwa again.

NAM_221_2014030912_F84_PCPIN_60_HR.png

Tight gradient though. Goes from nothing where dmc76 is to a michsnowfreak bullseye.

And it is the NAM.

Given the seasonal trends for these waves to remain open/progressive, yet somehow still produce modestly for Detroit (see the strung out POS last weekend the models also struggled with where it picked up 3-5"), I feel pretty confident in my call.

Archived