joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12 -14 Potential Storm

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know... this run is better than the 18z and 12z GFS for the metro area snowfall wise but I am a bit concerned that it significantly weakend compared to its 18z run... Would like to see a big storm rain or snow from this... But I guess I shouldn't get too caught up in GFS runs 120+ hours out... (or 72+ hours out for that matter)

I dont know... this run is better than the 18z and 12z GFS for the metro area snowfall wise but I am a bit concerned that it significantly weakend compared to its 18z run... Would like to see a big storm rain or snow from this... But I guess I shouldn't get too caught up in GFS runs 120+ hours out... (or 72+ hours out for that matter)

If you want to see snow you don't want to see an early big wound up system ala euro , you would rain.

The GFS would be the best case scenario from Philly to nyc.

6 days out , will take some time. For me is I like the look of the euro when I see what's at 500 MB

I would like to ask the pro mets if it's worth to even care about what the gfs shows at the moment since last storm it busted big time. The Canadian and even the nam had a better handling of last storm compared to global models. What are your thoughts?

If you want to see snow you don't want to see an early big wound up system ala euro , you would rain.

The GFS would be the best case scenario from Philly to nyc.

6 days out , will take some time. For me is I like the look of the euro when I see what's at 500 MB

It isn't impossible to get a big storm scenario for that the area can benefit with big snows... 

I dont think the 00z GFS is our "best case scenario" for snow, not even close IMO. Its a good scenario though...

But yeah, several days out.. Just hope this doesn't weaken to the point where we see no system other than snow showers at all though... Again, I'd rather just see a huge storm with driving rain compared to a 3-6" snow storm... But thats just me. lol

Huge storm on this run.  At 162, 988 low just east of LI. Heavy snow everywhere, including the coast. Inland areas do really well. The coast gets in on the fun at 162 hours when the low bombs out. Before this ,it's slop for the coast. Inland areas, including the coast stays below freezing throughout the event on the Euro. This run was really close to a HECS.

00 Z ECM Data & Summary 

126 Hrs One low over W Alabama and One low over OK .. Warm from PA south -no precipitation in the area 

132 Hrs 991 MB low over N Arkansas 1000 low over E KY and 1007 Mb low south of the FL panhandle still no precipitation in the area. Temperatures starting to cool off from N PA south...
138 hrs 990 low over W VA and 1006 low off Haterras and 992 low over W TN ..Light QPF knocking on the door

144 hrs 991 MB low over E KY with moderate to heavy QPF in Western PA and light to moderate eastern PA and NJ 
Temperatures warm upper 30s to lower 40s
150 Heavy QPF across E PA and Northern NJ including NYC ..989 mb low over W VA Temps low 30s inland and along the coast ..long island mid 30s 

156 NYC dry slotted ..Heavy QPF in Western PA Lighter QPF E PA .. 985 MB low just W Of DE..Temperatures lower 30s 

162 hrs Very heavy QPF SE PA Heavy QPF E PA and all of NJ Including NYC ..983 MB east of NJ 
Temperatures 20s inland to around 30 along the coast..

168 hrs 980 E of Cape Cod

Snow maps show :
12 + NE PA and 10-12 around E C PA to NE NJ and NYC and 12 + NW NJ ..12 + South Central NY state

Temperatures used are the 6 hr MAX temps off the High Res ECM 

00 Z ECM Data & Summary 

126 Hrs One low over W Alabama and One low over OK .. Warm from PA south -no precipitation in the area 

132 Hrs 991 MB low over N Arkansas 1000 low over E KY and 1007 Mb low south of the FL panhandle still no precipitation in the area. Temperatures starting to cool off from N PA south...

138 hrs 990 low over W VA and 1006 low off Haterras and 992 low over W TN ..Light QPF knocking on the door

144 hrs 991 MB low over E KY with moderate to heavy QPF in Western PA and light to moderate eastern PA and NJ 

Temperatures warm upper 30s to lower 40s

150 Heavy QPF across E PA and Northern NJ including NYC ..989 mb low over W VA Temps low 30s inland and along the coast ..long island mid 30s 

156 NYC dry slotted ..Heavy QPF in Western PA Lighter QPF E PA .. 985 MB low just W Of DE..Temperatures lower 30s 

162 hrs Very heavy QPF SE PA Heavy QPF E PA and all of NJ Including NYC ..983 MB east of NJ 

Temperatures 20s inland to around 30 along the coast..

168 hrs 980 E of Cape Cod

Snow maps show :

12 + NE PA and 10-12 around E C PA to NE NJ and NYC and 12 + NW NJ ..12 + South Central NY state

Temperatures used are the 6 hr MAX temps off the High Res ECM 

thanks

Im starting to like this threat too.. It interesting before Mid Fed there was a NW trend all winter, since then there as been a SE trend. I think this will end up pretty nice for the coast for a March storm at least. Still way out there though...need another 2 days at least to make sure this storm even exists

Im starting to like this threat too.. It interesting before Mid Fed there was a NW trend all winter, since then there as been a SE trend. I think this will end up pretty nice for the coast for a March storm at least. Still way out there though...need another 2 days at least to make sure this storm even exists

I liked the last threat to until we were between 48-72 hrs out so a lot can change. 

I liked the last threat to until we were between 48-72 hrs out so a lot can change. 

After last "threat" I will surprisingly wait for the NAM before I go out to buy some bread and milk.

I never liked it I knew there was going to be a problem with the PV. It was funny when people were saying it was going north.

Lol yea the NAM has been pretty decent this winter I have to say. Besides a few terrible runs I think it has been one of there better models for most of the storms...go figure

The GFS pattern and blending the ECMWF, support a 16-22 inch snowfall potential for Long Island.  This may be the best threat of the winter for HECS.  Looks like the winter pattern and snow threat is alive through the first week of April based on MJO alone.  Does it go through 8-1 and then circle of death the last week of March ?  I think we are on track for a very chilly spring and a very cool summer, which could potentially be even cooler than a blend of 2009/2000/1992.  Emerging NINO puts a win in that column for cool.  Could do without high heat.  If we get 65-70 highs this summer with full sun and NW winds sign me up.  If it is 50's and NE winds all summer, don't sign me up.  I fear the latter for most of mid-late spring and a good portion of the summer with the frigid water temps being a big force to think about.... I think later May and June will be big fog, zero visibility at times. 

Meh. They are on the extreme side of the envelope at this time. They are not the vaunted forecasting tool they used to be, that's for sure.

I wouldn't toss them like you weenies are. They are the best skilled guidance this far out. It's something to keep in mind that's all.

I wouldn't toss them like you weenies are. They are the best skilled guidance this far out. It's something to keep in mind that's all.

True cutter and full ne torch or coastal hugger with inland snows? Climatology hints at a coastal huger as this is the best part of the snow season for places like the northern greens.

Not tossing them. There is a small window of opportunity where they blow up a ridge out ahead of the storm which we don't quite recover from until it's too late. Meanwhile, the OP is a masterpiece for snow lovers.

True cutter and full ne torch or coastal hugger with inland snows? Climatology hints at a coastal huger as this is the best part of the snow season for places like the northern greens.

It's an inland runner. Never gets off the coast. It's looks warm pretty far inland as well.

dolw78.jpg

2eydedy.jpg

Archived