HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
1129 AM EST WED FEB 19 2014

...LIGHT SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING...

CTZ002-003-MAZ002-003-008>011-200030-
/O.EXB.KBOX.WW.Y.0009.140219T1629Z-140220T0100Z/
HARTFORD CT-TOLLAND CT-WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-EASTERN FRANKLIN MA-
WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-
EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...UNION...
VERNON...CHARLEMONT...GREENFIELD...ORANGE...CHESTERFIELD...
BLANDFORD...AMHERST...NORTHAMPTON...SPRINGFIELD
1129 AM EST WED FEB 19 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EST THIS
EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
UNTIL 8 PM EST THIS EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND NORTH CENTRAL CONNECTICUT

* HAZARD TYPES...A MIX OF LIGHT SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF UP TO A COATING TO 3 INCHES
IN SPOTS...ALONG WITH A TRACE TO A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...A WINTRY MIX WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS.

BOX has a ballsy forecast considering no verbatim model guidance was spitting out advisory snow for N ORH county, but their reasoning is solid...high omega in snowgrowth region usually produces latent cooling that models under estimate, so I could see it. Still, not sure I would have the cajones to go advisory snows...but we'll see if that works out. It just might if upstream obs are any indication. A quick 3" plasturing could def happen...I'm just worried that it would start as an hour or 90 minutes of parachutes and then flip.

Will ... though your points are salient, there's more to this.  We got a problem up this way with narrowed roads.  Our side streets are virtually down to a lane and 1/2, such that you got to kind of scooch by the on-coming car with tlc.  Also, banks are penetrating out into the thoroughfares far enough to be a real hinderance to pulling out and so forth.  

Any additional snow, even 2 inches is going to cause an enhanced impact.  Whether KTAN mentions this or not in the AFD, they are definitely making the right call there for these reasons alone. 

Will ... though your points are salient, there's more to this.  We got a problem up this way with narrowed roads.  Our side streets are virtually down to a lane and 1/2, such that you got to kind of scooch by the on-coming car with tlc.  Also, banks are penetrating out into the thoroughfares far enough to be a real hinderance to pulling out and so forth.  

Any additional snow, even 2 inches is going to cause an enhanced impact.  Whether KTAN mentions this or not in the AFD, they are definitely making the right call there for these reasons alone. 

That's half the roads up here when there's no snow on the ground.  :)

Snow's just started here as I type.

Narrow roads is a problem and stated numerous times. Nobody reads my posts? Add limited visibility on the line of site combined with just about every drain catch blocked, huge puddles, even .25-.50" liquid will be 10X those amounts that harmlessly just drain away. Huge urban flooding with major impacts. Not a word to be found...umm     

Archived