• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2014 Snowpack Depths

KamuSnow

Thought it would be interesting to have this in a thread.

Report your average snowpack depth (not the highest value you can find, and no drifts or snowpiles please :lol:).
Feel free to edit/update your depth if it changes between now and Tuesday afternoon.

Also, for fun, provide a prediction for what it will be after the predicted warmup ends (looking like
around the 24th or 25th of February, or provide your own date).

I measured in a few places, the depth here ranges from around 16" in shaded areas,
to 12" on some sunny south facing slopes. In sunny areas that are fairly flat, the depth was
pretty consistent at 14". That's my basis for reporting a 14" average snowpack depth.

I'm hoping my prediction of 5" for the ~24th is low, but it could also be high depending on how much warm rain we get between now and then. 

For Concord Township, PA:
Feb. 18th 2014 Average snowpack depth = 16"
Predicted average depth at end of next warmup period (around Feb. 24th) = 5"

- Edited with update for 2.4" of new snow on Feb. 18th (was 14" on Feb. 16th)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's impressive! Inspiring too, lol. We could almost have a snow pile thread.

Just shovelled off some of my roof yesterday and now have some impressive glaciers around the house which

will likely survive until early April making 4 months of continuous visible snow due to very little sun exposure.

I did a Redsky style analysis of the snowpack yesterday when I was cutting "core samples" with a snow shovel. There's a 2" and a 3" layer of brick snow in there that would be suitable for igloo making.

I want to put solar lighting in my igloo prepper shelter i am constructing but there is a problem, I have to go out on digs to find the solar lights 

I am getting real concerned with the snow depth. We will have 30+ on the ground after tomorrows storm. The water equivalent will be getting near 6"  in the snow pack. And now the models and even HPC are calling for thunderstorms and possibly heavy rain on Friday. The rain will melt little of the snow and most of it will absorbed into the current snow pack. Then more snowstorms?  the roofs cannot take much more weight and a two inch  rainstorm will create historic flooding. This is a pretty dam serious condition and I am sure FEMA and PEMA officials are really concerned  (another 96 redux) ATM

I am getting real concerned with the snow depth. We will have 30+ on the ground after tomorrows storm. The water equivalent will be getting near 6"  in the snow pack. And now the models and even HPC are calling for thunderstorms and possibly heavy rain on Friday. The rain will melt little of the snow and most of it will absorbed into the current snow pack. Then more snowstorms?  the roofs cannot take much more weight and a two inch  rainstorm will create historic flooding. This is a pretty dam serious condition and I am sure FEMA and PEMA officials are really concerned  (another 96 redux) ATM

Dew points are the big factor regarding snow melt, in 1996 we had temps in the upper 50's w/DP's in the lower 50's & that alone with not much rain devoured a deep snow pack in a matter of hrs.

Would assume we'll get those juicy pre-frontal DP's down here in metro Philly however Lehigh Valley it remains to be seen

It'll take weeks to melt all this....but yea, could most certainly be a flood concern in the long term.      

4" to 6" inch water equivalents seem common throughout the area. 

Could be some roof collapses the next couple weeks...the snowpack will first absorb most of the rain.   Especially if gutters clogged / blocked...even from ice. 

People always overestimate how long snow cover will last. I have no idea how much we have but probably 12-14". My bet is that most of lower Chester, delco and northern NCC will have little left a week from now. Rain and fog will eat it up rapidly and the sun is getting stronger by the day.

I agree, especially in late February.  Not only will we have a few moderately warm days leading up until Friday, but 50 and rain usually does a number on snow.....but here's the kicker.  The next day over 40 with some sun.  Whatever is getting hit by that sun, with all of that available water also eating away at the same time, is going to shrivel up fast.  I still think most of us have a solid snowcover left, but it will be drastically lower.  I think I might even have some bare spots because I drift so bad up on this ridge.  That's why I haven't put a depth in here........I'd have to measure like 20 spots all over my yard and don't feel like wading into waste high or higher drifts. 

Archived