• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2014 Snowpack Depths

KamuSnow

Same as what I reported yesterday, 9 1/2" in shaded areas, 8" in fairly flat sunny areas, with some grassy spots here and there.

The snowpile took a hit, 7 1/2 feet down to 5 feet, and while it was a better "snow look" last Tuesday, I'm impressed with what's left after 6 days of high temps ranging from the mid 40's to upper 50's along with a couple of thundershowers!

post-9898-0-38036800-1393257347_thumb.jp

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still 15" in the yard here in NW Chesco.  My son took a picture but didn't mail it to me to upload.

You always have much better snow cover then I ever record....you must get limited sun exposure. The back of my property is still 100% covered with an average of 9" of snow the front on a south facing hill is 75% covered with an average of 4". Will call snow cover at 6"

You always have much better snow cover then I ever record....you must get limited sun exposure. The back of my property is still 100% covered with an average of 9" of snow the front on a south facing hill is 75% covered with an average of 4". Will call snow cover at 6"

My yard is about a 1/2 acre and has a pretty uniform 15", the south facing hill away from the house is getting some bare spots.

Most wooded areas away from the sun are running around a foot or a little more.   But yes, I get no sun in the yard in December

and still pretty indirect even now.   I'm in the valley rt. 100 runs through just up from Fairview Rd.

The snowpack is good overall, especially with the colder weather. Feels and looks like winter still. One thing that's going on and this is definitely an end of  February thing, is that the grass spots are getting bigger. Still plenty of snow out in the middle of the larger areas. Kind of a cool look.

The cold was slow to set in on sunday  my pack is at 10" going from 8" sunniest spots to 12" shade. I have one yard long open lawn spot under a lone pine in the most sun. I have thought about filling that spot in B)

One interesting observation is I cannot walk on my snow yet was hiking nockamixon park today and noticed most areas i could walk on the snow

In a transition zone at the southern edge of snowcover with bare spots in sunny areas.but fairly deep snow in sheltered areas.There is almost no snow SE of the fall line in N De and NE Md which is as close as 6 miles from here. 

My yard slopes E and is snowier than most. Have roughly 20% bare, 30% with 2-4 and 50% with 6-11. So 4 is rough avg. 

As of yesterday late afternoon, my lawn in Spring Mount, PA still had a decent snowpack ranging from as low as an inch in the warmest/sunniest areas to about 8 or 9 inches in the cooler/shadier areas.  Overall, it averages out to 4 to 5 inches.  Today is the 37th straight day of at least 1" of snowpack.

Nice snowscape! Looks like you netted at least an inch out of this morning's snow.

Hey, is that a homemade measuring device? Hmmm.....lol, j/k

My stick is photogenic -- don't have an old school yardstick, only a 12" ruler and that doesn't get it done right now.

I made the stick from a tape measure. so close enough for 'gubmint work...

I know Ray would not approve...

Should be interesting to see if the snow packs hold out to see any of next week's potential events! Don't mean to jinx it but we could set some new records for snow pack duration if it turns out right. 

First time poster? Welcome if so!

I think the snowpack will be fine with the forecast temps, the bigger question is will it be added to/how much next week. Like Ray and a few of us mentioned the other day, most of the snowpack attack is coming from the expanding grassy/non snow areas as opposed to from the top down. Today was classic late February and March snowpack behavior. In the shade, even in the sun, we added an inch or more to the existing snowpack, while where there was grass before today there is for the most part grass again "at the end of the day".

Yes this is my first time posting but I have been reading these forum's for sometime. Admittedly I don't know much about weather modeling, but have a good underlying knowledge about how they are generated and how the data is collected (I'm a student of mechanical engineering). Is there a place I could learn about the more customary approaches to weather prediction?

Yes this is my first time posting but I have been reading these forum's for sometime. Admittedly I don't know much about weather modeling, but have a good underlying knowledge about how they are generated and how the data is collected (I'm a student of mechanical engineering). Is there a place I could learn about the more customary approaches to weather prediction?

My technical knowledge is limited also, but there are many in here (Ray among others) who could point you in the right direction. There has always been a piece of weather forecasting that has a lot to do with data collection (at different levels of the atmosphere) and processing. Computers/models assimilate a lot more data at a much faster speed and do some "what if" scenarios along the way. Past history is an important piece also (analogs), as in what has happened in the past, in a similar setup.

I listed these elements because in my amateur mind they are some of the basics, and my relative ignorance is on display here, but I'm sure plenty of folks in here would be happy to help you. You asked your question in the right place!

I guess what the biggest question is evaluating whether or whether not a model run is a quality representation. Another big question for me is what the data each model, be it Canadian, Euro, NAM, or GFS, factors and how it manipulates that into a "prediction." Obviously there using computers to evaluate some type of flux integral, but I would just like to know more about the details, so to speak. 

Under the tree on my front lawn are a couple patches (each about a foot or so in diameter) of grass now, which had a snow depth of about an inch a few days ago.  This is an area that gets a lot of sun when there are no leaves on the tree.  Otherwise, the snow pack is still good and solid everywhere else (and is about 8" deep in my backyard where my south-facing house shades it most of the day).  Not sure of those two patches are enough to say I don't have a full snowpack on my lawn.  If not, I'm at 38 consecutive days and counting.  Otherwise, I only made it to 37 days.

yeah i haven't cleared our walkway thinking it would melt off but it hasn't.

I live on a corner lot and the part of the sidewalk in front of my house has no snow or ice.  Along the side of my house, it doesn't get as much sun and that part of the sidewalk has about 1/2 inch of snow and ice on it (since I didn't shovel after the 1.1" on Wednesday morning).

Okay, time for a snowpack report, fwiw. The big story here is that the snowpack, where it still exists, has not lost much depth since the beginning of the week. Measured close to 10" in the shade, and 8" in a large snow covered (normally sunny) area. The other major news is that it continues to be eroded from the sides by expanding bald areas. IMBY there is still probably about 75% coverage, but even on the coldest days this week, that March sun was doing it's thing and expanding the grass areas. I've been doing some yard cleanup in the grassy areas since it's March.

post-9898-0-36594500-1393791492_thumb.jp

Archived