• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pile update:

6' glacier yesterday

6' + dusting glacier today.

Still 11" snowpack that doesn't seem to want to leave anytime soon

St Patty's in sight!

Not there yet (St. Patty's Day) but I think you can coast from here....when we first talked about this I had no idea the weather and snow would be as supportive (i.e. awesome) as it has.

Last year we had a lot of hickory nuts and black walnuts (I mean a boatload), as well as woolly bear caterpillars, so you could say the NI (Nut Index) and the WBI (Woolly Bear Index) indicated a good winter. 

I enjoy winter so much that I take pretty much any indicator (or forecast for a "rough winter") with a grain of salt so as not to set my expectations too high. This winter has been beyond special.

Here in NW Chesco - still a general 4" to 9" across flat terrain on my property with 100% coverage. On exposed south facing hills about 60% coverage with 0 to 7" across that area

Will call snow cover at 5.0" with this being our 44th straight day with snow. Still a ways to go to the all-time record length of consecutive snow cover which is the 63 days from December 9th thru February 9th 1996.

In Spring Mount, I still have complete snow cover in my backyard, but those few small areas of grass on my front lawn late last week have grown to overtake nearly 1/3 of my front yard.  When I can see that much lawn, it's tough to call it a snow pack.  But I'll say my backyard snow pack is still a solid 5 to 6 inches deep.

Here in NW Chesco - still a general 4" to 9" across flat terrain on my property with 100% coverage. On exposed south facing hills about 60% coverage with 0 to 7" across that area

Will call snow cover at 5.0" with this being our 44th straight day with snow. Still a ways to go to the all-time record length of consecutive snow cover which is the 63 days from December 9th thru February 9th 1996.

We didn't have continous snow cover nearly that long in 95/96. 77/78 is the only comparable winter here and even that will be eclipsed soon.

Tried this method you speak of, and snow melted quickly in contact with the measuring device... Like a leaf or stick melts snow under quicker.

Yes, it would do that, but from the pictures, you can't actually see the snow in contact with the ruler, so that may be the case here.

10-11" on front lawn . Longest ever deep snow depth for mby

Nice! I don't have imby records of snowpack durations, I took this picture Wednesday am before the latest round of melt off began, and it marked the beginning of the 7th week straight of snow cover here. Not sure where that ranks historically, but I'm impressed. It's certainly rare here. Not sure if we'll get an extension next week or not, I'm in a place now where I'm still marveling at this winter and having had the run we've had since Jan. 21st. I also wouldn't mind at all getting a nice "wrap-up" event.

At the same time, while today I have about 70% coverage, it will likely be reduced to 25% to 50% by midweek, the signs of spring are all around, and while I love the winter and snow, spring is probably my favorite season. So right now I'm doing yard cleanup where the grass is exposed, and enjoying the snowpack where it remains. A nice place to be in March.

post-9898-0-58408200-1394258943_thumb.jp

In Metuchen, today might be the day I'd have to say that, on average, less than 50% of the properties and open spaces are snow covered.  However, my house, which is relatively shady, still has 2-4" of dense snow/ice nearly everywhere, except at the base of any trees and places where my footprints were - and the small park across the street is still 90% snow-covered, but our soccer field was 80% bare yesterday, marking the first day we've played soccer on Sunday since 1/19 (only explanation is it's a bit shadier across the street).  Great run - my house will reach 7 weeks tomorrow. 

Was pretty confident we'd last a lot longer than some were saying, given the incredible amount of liquid equivalent that was originally in this snowpack (4-5" LE estimated at its height, compressed into maybe 15" of snowpack when the melt began).  That kind of mass simply doesn't melt quickly and any rain that falls on it just gets absorbed and adds to the LE when the temps go back below freezing.

Lot's of melting here the last few days too - overnight temps above freezing don't help. The snowpack here went to about 25% between Saturday night and yesterday, so that probably means technically that there is no snow cover here. Still got some nice patches though, plenty of legacy reminders of the awesome winter we've had, especially considering the mild temperatures and relative lack of snow recently. As has been mentioned it is (was) quite a dense snowpack. I'm calling it a 7 week run of snow cover for here for conversational purposes although technically it probably came up a day or so short.

The snowpile is till over 5 feet high, the south side is a little more gnarly looking than what you can see here on the north side. Although I am confident of it being there on St. Paddy's Day, I probably won't dye it green.

One good thing about the gradual melt off and lack of heavy rains recently has been the absence of major flooding. Not sure about up north, hopefully it will be the same up your way.

post-9898-0-91917200-1394543854_thumb.jp

Lot's of melting here the last few days too - overnight temps above freezing don't help. The snowpack here went to about 25% between Saturday night and yesterday, so that probably means technically that there is no snow cover here.

Less than 50% coverage is counted as a trace.

Even after yesterdays 56 and dbf's 46 this solid snowpack has been incredibly resilient,but,after today;actually next 12 hrs or so we'll see...mby has a 3/5",it's not a big area and surrounded by firs and spuces,not good...Other mainly wooded areas seem to be holding 5/8" something on that order...Took a short ride last night just to get,maybe;that last feel of it...  

Given that the requirement is at least 50% coverage to consider a lawn having snow pack, I made it to Sunday the 9th.  Since mid-day Sunday, I have had less than 50% snow coverage on my lawn (down to about 25% as of 8 AM today).  So the snow pack on my lawn lasted from mid-day January 21 to mid-day March 9...which is 47 days total.  Not too shabby.

Archived