Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 20-22 Winter Weather Threat

snowstormcanuck

0z NAM take the low over green bay

The track from ARX to Green Bay is normally golden at this time of year for go saints, DDL and me.  What concerns me however is the heavy snow pack over you guys. I'm beginning to wonder how much convective precip will fall very near the eastern edge of the surface low track, if convective precip should occur, that will pump more moisture into the cold sector and give us our biggest snowfall of the year.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although.... wrap around moisture and overall conditions are very favorable for LE here. The ice has shifted quit a bit and a good portion of northern L MI ice is rather thin now. If good wind over the lager portion of the open lake can generate decent waves and mixing of the water, could see a good breakup and melting of some ice... thus making LE interesting.

nothing like the W UP will see but a few inches of snow and wind would be fun to just hang in the 'hood. I'd say even w/o LE, a few inches wrap around is a good bet.... a heavy dose of winter after a dampening of the snow pack!

@ Bo. I noticed patches of open water off Racine this morning. Winds yesterday definitely had an effect.

A good north fetch would be able to produce a nice plume... I would think.

A visible sat tells the ice story better than that graphic too. lot's of open water, and with 40's down that way and rain, along with southerly winds, should completely give the lake ice a new face. westerly winds behind the departing storm tho, but future N flow events could be back in play, even as LE season wanes anyway.

Isn't the big story that all of Ontario Canada is getting 20 inches?

NWS here going 3 to 8 inches... 

March mostly looks below normal, the Great Lakes are icy/cold and there is a massive snow pack in ON Canada does not bode well for a warm spring. 

Only thing that could change that is if there is a major overwhelming warm pattern in April (aka March 2012 type pattern).

New NAM run rolling out arguably has a stronger dynamic cooling signal than the 18z run over northern IL.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Indeed it does...pretty much keeps that initial slug of precip all frozen.

6" lolli over far SE WI...would like to see some more support from other models though.

Usually front end snow ahead of intense WAA doesn't work out too well. Right now I'll have to lol at it.

1-2" is probably the most I've ever seen in these situations before change over.

Lol

The best TSSN I've ever seen was in a setup like this with intense advection precip that stayed snow for a few hours. No headlines out, warnings all north and west with strong low passing to NW.

Lol

The best TSSN I've ever seen was in a setup like this with intense advection precip that stayed snow for a few hours. No headlines out, warnings all north and west with strong low passing to NW.

At least I can't remember any situation where I got a thump of snow like that. Not saying it hasn't happened in my lifetime or anything.

If it happened, wouldn't even touch a shovel!

Archived