Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 20-22 Winter Weather Threat

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going with 1.2" snow here today, 1.2" DTW...very common amounts of 1-2" it appears. With the snow and rain, we have had 0.59" liquid fall at DTW thru 5pm, and thus far, the snowpack seems to be about exactly where it was this morning. Perhaps VERY negligible shrinkage. I suspect we will lose some tonight as temps briefly spike up, but hopefully not too much. To make it through the daylight hours losing essentially no snowpack is a definite bonus.

Saw numerous vids on facebook of the thundersnow from this morning, but I like these 3 the best.

somewhere in MICHIGAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvrPeN-9c3M

DETROIT

ANN ARBOR

Going with 1.2" snow here today, 1.2" DTW...very common amounts of 1-2" it appears. With the snow and rain, we have had 0.59" liquid fall at DTW thru 5pm, and thus far, the snowpack seems to be about exactly where it was this morning. Perhaps VERY negligible shrinkage. I suspect we will lose some tonight as temps briefly spike up, but hopefully not too much. To make it through the daylight hours losing essentially no snowpack is a definite bonus.

Saw numerous vids on facebook of the thundersnow from this morning, but I like these 3 the best.

Wow they had 1.2" from 0.27 QPF ... nasty ratio there.

Measuring was very time dependent even up here.  I check just as it was changing to sleet & the monster flakes looked done there was about 3" and then 20 mins into sleet fest (sleet was mixed with rain) it was down to a heavy 2".

My driveway as of 6 PM has ~1" left of solid mass from this mornings snow/sleet/rain.

Once we go below freezing this snow pack is going to be a massive glacier!! 

Wow they had 1.2" from 0.27 QPF ... nasty ratio there.

Measuring was very time dependent even up here. I check just as it was changing to sleet & the monster flakes looked done there was about 3" and then 20 mins into sleet fest (sleet was mixed with rain) it was down to a heavy 2".

My driveway as of 6 PM has ~1" left of solid mass from this mornings snow/sleet/rain.

Once we go below freezing this snow pack is going to be a massive glacier!!

Yeah the water content of our remaining snowpack is gonna be stupid high.

Yeah the water content of our remaining snowpack is gonna be stupid high.

I will take a core sample tomorrow. There is always a bit of runoff. As a theoretical example...say you had 10" of snow depth with 2.0" of water in it, you get 0.40" of 33-34F rain, and your snow depth remains at 10". You would assume it now has a water content of 2.4", but you take a core sample and its actually only 2.2". But its all picking and prodding at this point, the water content already is stupid high regardless lol.

I will take a core sample tomorrow. There is always a bit of runoff. As a theoretical example...say you had 10" of snow depth with 2.0" of water in it, you get 0.40" of 33-34F rain, and your snow depth remains at 10". You would assume it now has a water content of 2.4", but you take a core sample and its actually only 2.2". But its all picking and prodding at this point, the water content already is stupid high regardless lol.

You are going to need a hole saw on a drill to get through the bottom layer of glacier ice on the snow.... I have been noticing the snow is melting down but the ice pack on the bottom is growing in thickness. Even more true in any area where water will stand and puddles form, this snow which survives will be comparable to the top layer of lake ice. Winter 2014 madness continues and is approaching the Principals list in grade scores.

Sorry I messed this one up.....

Barely any melting out there compared to what I had expected. We have a legit shot now of smashing the snow depth record for length.

That's the real goal. With the deep freeze next week I think it's going to be pretty easy just to get to the record. If we get a decent snowstorm in early March then you could add 10+ days to it which would pretty much put it out of the reach of any future winter.

Archived