joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13/2014 Major Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray - obviously, the snow will compress quickly after a changeover to rain.  I assume it's kosher to get one's measurement right at the start of the rain, correct?  On the other hand, if someone is only measuring every X hours, I assume there's a major risk of underreporting the snow.  Still ripping snow in the Edison area (no sleet yet). 

Ray - obviously, the snow will compress quickly after a changeover to rain.  I assume it's kosher to get one's measurement right at the start of the rain, correct?  On the other hand, if someone is only measuring every X hours, I assume there's a major risk of underreporting the snow.  Still ripping snow in the Edison area (no sleet yet). 

There's a nice can of worms if ever there was one.  According to the "new" procedure, you measure as needed but report max depth as your snowfall.  Remember, the "new" procedure forbids the 6-hour clearing of the board unless you specifically are told to do so by the NWS.

why do we never get the real heavy 2"+snow everybody in chester and brookhaven to the south gets every storm i never should have moved up here lol

If the current radar signature doesn't deliver in the next hour it's never happening

Look outside now.  I've never seen snow this heavy. 

And BTW, the new NAM looks decent for the Deform/CCB later tonight. 

Brief period of sleet around 7am then went back to snow, now light snow.  Was watching channel 6 double scan radar is fascinating that you can see where it's sleeting and where it's still snowing while temps hovering from freezing to just above. 

Reporting from Kennett Square, Chesco.  Not looking forward to shoveling.

Just amazing snow rates right now here in NW Chesco - I thought we would have changed over by now -still no pings at all--- the bad news is it was too much for my snowblower I barely finished half my driveway and it clogged tried clearing it 5 times but no luck - any ideas how to keep the blades clear - Thanks!

Temp up to 28.4 will do a measure at the top of the hour

wd40 on the blades worked for me last week

Pennsburg, NW montco

temp still dropping now 24.7f/dp22

Winds shifted N, some NNW

here's hoping we stay snow and are nicely located for pm banding

Temp up to 21.7 here, snow ripping! (haven't measured yet but easily 6+ on the ground, it is drifting badly already though so I'm only going to be good for an estimate :(  ) I'm hoping the same thing, stay snow plus be far enough NW to avoid being in the dry slot for too long, or is that possible?  (to not get dry slotted) 

Warrington, Bucks County PA.   Light snow/sleet.  Wind shifted to the North NorthWest.   It had gusted out of the ENE for a while, then shifted.   I know....because I was out cleaning up this.    Precip type is wavering.   

In the hour I was outside, it went from heavy snow, to a 50/50 mix, to 5 minutes of 100% sleet, now back to 90/10 snow/sleet.

I see the change line wavering just W of the river.     Is resistance futile?

6.9" (that's an average of areas that were 6.6 to 7.5).

EDIT.....Temp is 29.2....sorry for the omission.

Archived