Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/27 Forecast Threats

am19psu

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my weenie thoughts atm ...

Over the weekend when the GFS consistently showed hit after hit, I thought at some point (it's infamous 4-7 day period) it would start to show a more OTS solution. Is that what we're seeing now?

OTOH ... what the current 12Z GFS is depicting looks a little like what just occurred this weekend. This is a Nina winter and we maybe looking at some sort of pattern persistence here.

I'm not drawling any conclusion; just throwing out some random thoughts. On to the 12Z Euro ...

Well he among others after busting badly with this weekend storm desperately need this to happen.

For those that enjoy his input...JB just updated after the 12z runs

He sees a nice 6-12 inch snow from Denver to Dulles (75 mi either side of that line) with the axis turning Northeast for NE and getting the big I-95 cities. Thinks the 12z run looks "feedbackish with it jumping a max out", but overall sees a big winter event just before and during

Christmas and puts a "star on top of the Christmas tree of his white Christmas idea" forecast

the pattern lately is for a storm to miss us to the south...Gun to my head first guess is for it to miss us to the south...

which is why im not a fan of the s/w dropping that far southeast. Just give me the bowling west to east. In la nina its hard as heck to get a storm coming up the coast with the fast flow as we have seen countless times so far this season when models have tried to.

I agree 100%. The NOGAPS having that solution is just unreal.

I think the Nogaps SE bias is slightly overstated. It exists to be sure, but not so much that you want to see it consistently showing a track well offshore. I prefer when it matches or lies just inside the GFS ensemble mean in the mid-range.

Just my weenie thoughts atm ...

Over the weekend when the GFS consistently showed hit after hit, I thought at some point (it's infamous 4-7 day period) it would start to show a more OTS solution. Is that what we're seeing now?

OTOH ... what the current 12Z GFS is depicting looks a little like what just occurred this weekend. This is a Nina winter and we maybe looking at some sort of pattern persistence here.

I'm not drawling any conclusion; just throwing out some random thoughts. On to the 12Z Euro ...

If the pattern persists and some sort of suppressive out to sea solution verifies, then all we have done is kick the pattern changing storm (that was what it was on the 00z euro) can down the street. Eventually when the pattern changes (and it will), there will come an opportunity. Not a guarantee, but an opportunity.

We have also not gained much forecast time today vs yesterday as the gfs/can ggem have slowed the arrival time of the low, so we have nearly as much of a gap between initialization and event time as we did yesterday. Nina deadline (for me) is within 96 hours (seems when these phased systems start getting unraveled), so we may have to wait til the 12z run on Wednesday for a clearer picture.

I think the Nogaps SE bias is slightly overstated. It exists to be sure, but not so much that you want to see it consistently showing a track well offshore. I prefer when it matches or lies just inside the GFS ensemble mean in the mid-range.

but in this case its well nw of the gfs ens mean and ggem, which draws a red flag.

heres the gfs indiv ens run at hr 138

I'm not in love with those.

We're following a similar pattern where the trof is modeled broader with successive model runs, and eventually the surface low takes a wide path through the SE and then threatens eastern NE as it matures and finally gains latitude.

If I had to guess I would say this recovers a bit over the next few days and we get a surface low tracking slightly further north towards the Tenn. valley. But ultimately I think we'll have to wait on the second push of s/w energy to sharpen and negatively tilt our trof.

Which it does.

tony, whats causing this bowling ball now to track this far south?

These models slowing it down and the 24hr gaps I have from home make it hard, it looks like the 50/50 low doesn't get out of the way and the ridging out west is not as strong.

Add this one to your arsenal: http://www.meteo.gc.ca/ensemble/naefs/cartes_e.html

Walt Drag looks at this all of the time. You may not like what you see as of today, there are more ncep members in here than in e-wall, but its still too far away to make a decision.

These models slowing it down and the 24hr gaps I have from home make it hard, it looks like the 50/50 low doesn't get out of the way and the ridging out west is not as strong.

Add this one to your arsenal: http://www.meteo.gc....s/cartes_e.html

Walt Drag looks at this all of the time. You may not like what you see as of today, there are more ncep members in here than in e-wall, but its still too far away to make a decision.

eeeeekkk, the 12z run hasn't come out yet on that one correct?

Add this one to your arsenal: http://www.meteo.gc....s/cartes_e.html

Ouch that's ugly. Hard to even pick out favorable individual members.

Archived