• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014

PennMan

Temperature better start falling fast. Rain falling right now. I don't see the morning commute around 7 am being bad at all. Ground is wet already, temperature is supposed to be 33 or 32 by then with snow falling. It's just such a marginal situation and living here my whole life, york does not do well in marginal situations. Hope everything works out though, could be the deepest snow all winter. Sunrise will hurt accumulations also "canderson". WOW THIS HAS BUST WRITTEN ALL OVER IT for Adams,york,lancaster counties. 1-3 inches. 39 degrees raining at 2 am.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why the north folks are crying? 2 more chances for them.

Keyword, bolded here. No guarantees. I think if folks missing out to the North on this one were guaranteed 6-8 on Wednesday everyone would be holding hands singing kumbaya. Sharp cutoffs are pretty frustrating for those on the outside looking in, but at one time or another we have all been there, getting ponded, or missing out so it all evens out over time.

Temperature better start falling fast. Rain falling right now. I don't see the morning commute around 7 am being bad at all. Ground is wet already, temperature is supposed to be 33 or 32 by then with snow falling. It's just such a marginal situation and living here my whole life, york does not do well in marginal situations.

This is not marginal up here for the early am as you describe. If you were near BWI I would agree.

Temperature better start falling fast. Rain falling right now. I don't see the morning commute around 7 am being bad at all. Ground is wet already, temperature is supposed to be 33 or 32 by then with snow falling. It's just such a marginal situation and living here my whole life, york does not do well in marginal situations. Hope everything works out though, could be the deepest snow all winter.

Sunrise in York will hurt snow accumulations, it's February so yeah.

Compared to the 18z GFS, slightly stronger, slightly colder, more precip. So all good.

This is the warmest 850s get on the 00z GFS:

post-300-0-03766300-1391399746_thumb.png

Maybe there's a warmer layer at another level (though based on soundings I had seen a couple days ago, it looked like the warmest level was around 800-850mb)? But given that 850s are at or below 0C for all but one 3-hourly frame, I (again) don't see what the pessimism is about. Looks like mostly snow with maybe some sleet up here in "true central" PA.

EDIT: Just looked at twisterdata soundings for State College from the 18z GFS, and indeed the warmest level is around 800-850mb. Even on the 18z GFS that was around 1°C. Taken verbatim, I'd guess that would just mean a snow/sleet mix (maybe mostly sleet for a brief 1-3 hour window). Since the 00z GFS is ever-so-slightly cooler, and the GFS is one of the warmer of the believable models, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess just pessimism.

This is the warmest 850s get on the 00z GFS:

attachicon.gif850s.png

Maybe there's a warmer layer at another level (though based on soundings I had seen a couple days ago, it looked like the warmest level was around 800-850mb)? But given that 850s are at or below 0C for all but one 3-hourly frame, I (again) don't see what the pessimism is about. Looks like mostly snow with maybe some sleet up here in "true central" PA.

We've got to get that H85 low south of us.

I thought you want the low south of you, otherwise the door is open to warm air to flood in.

You definitely want the surface low south of you (and that seems to be likely at this point), but I've always been told you want the 850 low to track right over you (best lift and all that jazz).

Archived