Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 3rd event

Brian5671

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM has not had a NW bias this year except in the extreme short term with he precip field.

This was the 84 hour NAM with the southern storm and then this was 12 hours out.

So making an exact forecast right now of a hit or miss is not prudent

Personally I think weather models are far too complex to make simplified descriptions of their biases.  A limitation of the programming, algorithms, schemes, or boundary conditions might result in a NW error in one case, and a SE error in another... at least that's how I see it.  The problem with the NAM is that it verifies much worse than the global models towards the end of its range.   Its solutions at this range are often way out of line with other guidance, only to shift significantly towards the shorter range.

The 0z NAM is flatter at H5, with increased separation between northern and southern waves, and further south with its precip shield. Its extension, the DGEX had about 1" liquid at NYC. The 0z NAM by comparison looks like a scraper. But as modeled, there would probably be an area of SNJ, maybe up to CNJ that would get light to possibly moderate precip (probably snow). But this was a clear step toward the model consensus of a scraper or a miss south, and a less significant storm overall.

As Wes mentioned in the ma thread, check out the 250-300mb jet structure ;-)

It`s not a direct massive hit , the point is over the last 24 hours this has popped up on the NAM EURO and Canadian .

If at 0z the SLP ticked 50 miles S,  i`m still inclined to think its not likely to be P/C on Monday and should be watched .

This has  sharpened  up in the last 24 hours and its not impossible it continues over the  next 24 to 48 hours considering we just saw this happen .

The pulsing of the SE ridge and the PV have probably  yet to be solved .

So to me the precip is aimed  NE  , if the fringe  is CNJ ,   NYC or N . its not far off . Seen by more than 1 model .

I`m in Colts Neck  that kool with you ?

I'm in Albany, that cool with you?

My only request is it would be nice if you guys would put your locations in your profiles.  Wintersgrasp, too.  It makes for much better discussion and obs threads to know where people are posting from.  Thanks.  Carry on. 

As Wes mentioned in the ma thread, check out the 250-300mb jet structure ;-)

It's nice.  18z had a great structure too.  Just a little stronger and further north.  The GFS doesn't have it.  I think the MA crew is excited about seeing a big blob of blue on the QPF chart.  I would be too.  I hope it's real and that the mid-levels align to allow this thing to track NE instead of E to get more people in the game.  I'm glad the Euro was so far north earlier today.

yea, I would really like to have seen the gfs pick this up already

I actually like it right where it's at. Just about every SWFE and overrunning event we've seen this season four to six days out, the GFS has shifted the precip field a few hundred miles north. Specifically in December as well as the Jan 2nd event. It would not surprise me to see this move north in the coming days. Not etched in stone but I can see moving more north for sure.

The NAM doesn't go out to 108 hours.

THANKS ,

Talking about the GFS Euro and Canadian , a day ago , they were S with the precip , today they came N

Not sure who`s on the wrong  side of the envelope the NAM or the GFS , im sure you saw VV

that's what I saw when I said it was aimed NE

0z GGEM says the GFS is on crack for Monday. This looks great for Philly southward. Congrats NJ once again.

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_096.jpg

I still think this is something to be watched. As progressive as this winter has been, it also hasn't been about suppression. This could also be a last minute north-trender.

I still think this is something to be watched. As progressive as this winter has been, it also hasn't been about suppression. This could also be a last minute north-trender.

Without a doubt. If GFS had the wave as depicted with NAM and GGEM, she'd have gone north with less confluence over northern Maine. Where as the models with the wave have a little more.

I think this is going to be a nice event. Strongly feel the gfs starts trending as we get closer. Remember it shifted hundreds of miles west with the last system under like 36-48 hrs or so. Good to know there's a peaceful thread among the chaos in the other threads. 

I'll laugh if this event that most are overlooking produces significant snows. The Nam looked good even though it's the Nam.

Archived