Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 3rd event

Brian5671

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 0z NAM is flatter at H5, with increased separation between northern and southern waves, and further south with its precip shield.  Its extension, the DGEX had about 1" liquid at NYC.  The 0z NAM by comparison looks like a scraper.  But as modeled, there would probably be an area of SNJ, maybe up to CNJ that would get light to possibly moderate precip (probably snow).  But this was a clear step toward the model consensus of a scraper or a miss south, and a less significant storm overall.

The 0z NAM is flatter at H5, with increased separation between northern and southern waves, and further south with its precip shield.  Its extension, the DGEX had about 1" liquid at NYC.  The 0z NAM by comparison looks like a scraper.  But as modeled, there would probably be an area of SNJ, maybe up to CNJ that would get light to possibly moderate precip (probably snow).  But this was a clear step toward the model consensus of a scraper or a miss south, and a less significant storm overall.

Pretty sure this is more than light to moderate precip:

nam_namer_084_sim_radar.gif

Not sure what you guys are seeing on the NAM unless you are well south of NYC metro.  The wave is dampening as it approaches and the SLP is well south of the region.  The 700mb chart shows best lift and saturation to the south.  This is a skimmer. 

Yeah assuming its NW bias at this range that has to be shoved 100 miles SE, its likely a hit though for C S NJ to some extent.

No one has said this is wide spread ,

But out of dust this is DCA  to Philly to CNJ ,  out of what a day ago was PC skies .

Now either you can see a possible N  trend developing over the last 18 hours  or not . You`re choice .

Don't the Philly people have their own forum?

I guess the NYC forum is more active.  The more the better.  I preferred the old days when there were no subforums anyway.  But what's good for one city might be bad for another... so it does make model analysis a little more confusing. 

Don't the Philly people have their own forum?

I guess the NYC forum is more active.  The more the better.  I preferred the old days when there were no subforums anyway.  But what's good for one city might be bad for another... so it does make model analysis a little more confusing. 

I`m in Colts Neck  that kool with you ?

Yeah assuming its NW bias at this range that has to be shoved 100 miles SE, its likely a hit though for C S NJ to some extent.

Agreed.  But even discounting the fact that it will likely verify too far NW, I thought it was a bad step from 18z.  I didn't realize so many people in this NYC metro subforum lived in SNJ.

Agreed.  But even discounting the fact that it will likely verify too far NW, I thought it was a bad step from 18z.  I didn't realize so many people in this NYC metro subforum lived in SNJ.

Nam was way south with the southern storm this week at this time frame

Wait...youre complaining about philly posters and youre in the wrong forum too?

I'm not complaining.  I was responding to several posters who thought the 0z NAM looked good... when I thought it looked not so good.  The confusion was that I was referring to the immediate NYC metro area, and other people were referring to Philly or SNJ.  I don't mind where posters are from.  We just have to be clear when analyzing models, which areas we are referring to.

Look at 500mb and 700mb.  It's a miss NW of Trenton.

The NAM has not had much of a NW bias this year except in the extreme short term with he precip field.

This was the 84 hour NAM with the southern storm and then this was 12 hours out.

So making an exact forecast right now of a hit or miss is not prudent

This clearly still has a chance to produce something. The 12z Euro and to a lesser extend CMC got measurable precip pretty far north.  But it was a bummer to have the NAM make a sizable shift south.  You want your NW outlier to be NW of your desired solution... not THE ideal solution.

Archived