Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
February 4th-6th Overunning & Possible Coastal Threat

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is colder?  Stunning...

There's probably 4-6" everywhere on this run before anyone changes over. And then it never gets most of NYC above freezing, so there would likely be a nasty ice region perhaps even in NYC.

GFS is almost all frozen for the coast. We warm a bit between 12z and 15z, but winds are ENE-NNE throughout the entire storm. Snow maps have at lease 5" out here. More for the city and west.

Absolutely surreal. Snowing heavily right now and now this has trended back to our favor. And more this weekend.. Crazy exciting week! 

have to go with the colder solutions right now anyone north of a Trenton Through Perth Amboy - through Staten Island and points northeast line of their will remain mostly frozen - probably at least several inches of snow with an ice mix just north of that line and all snow north of I -78

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014020312/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us.html

GFS is almost all frozen for the coast. We warm a bit between 12z and 15z, but winds are ENE-NNE throughout the entire storm. Snow maps have at least 5" out here. More for the city and west. GFS underpredicts the low level cold so wouldn't be surprised if it's colder.

The city proper is 5" + on this run.  It's colder.  Euro is winning.

All in all, however, if we look back at about 150 hrs or so in, this storm was REMARKABLY well modeled versus many of its predecessors.  Easier set up, I presume, for the models to handle (except for the temp/precip type nuances).

NOW, let's hope that this holds true for Snomageddon this weekend... :weenie:

I agree just wondering if we end up with mostly snow or mostly ice.

I think we flip to IP/ZR anywhere south of the NY/NJ border.  925 is trying to find it's way in and i think we get a GENEROUS front end dump and then IP/ZR N of 78.  I THINK we may dodge a serious ice storm bullet N of 80 if it can stay snow.

I'm praying.  I have a huge client meeting on Thurs.

The city proper is 5" + on this run.  It's colder.  Euro is winning.

All in all, however, if we look back at about 150 hrs or so in, this storm was REMARKABLY well modeled versus many of its predecessors.  Easier set up, I presume, for the models to handle (except for the temp/precip type nuances).

NOW, let's hope that this holds true for Snomageddon this weekend... :weenie:

I think we get it lol. GFS has trended SE but even so, I still think it's BL temps are too warm (for here on the island at least), the low resolution makes it see Long Island as water. And when the models begin to pick up on the thick snow pack here, they may even get colder.

I lived in Delaware County in 2010 for the back to back storms that brought 50" in my town (Media PA). 

THIS week is as, if not more, exciting than that was.  I know a lot of folks up here missed out on that I'm hoping that this week is some sweet redemptoin for a tough February not too long ago.

This stuff is way too fun.  And I WISH i had a forum like this when I was younger and just getting into the weather!

I think we get it lol. GFS has trended SE but even so, I still think it's BL temps are too warm (for here on the island at least), the low resolution makes it see Long Island as water.

No need to make fun.  I'm an excited weenie.  You're right overdone.  If you can't make fun of yourself... 

It's kind of crazy that the gfs is not too far off from mostly snow around here, which is a lot better than ice and I'm sure we'll all take another 6-10" over a quarter to a half inch of ice. The Euro has been doing well again so we'll see where it goes.Chances of it even going to rain though are decreasing.

Am I way off stating that the QPF has come down some. Looks like .75-1 north west of the city.

I thought I remember seeing a lot more?

Not sure , but this has is def  colder than 48 hours ago , so focusing on the trasnsfer and CAD 

Archived