• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2/4-2/5 Winter Storm - ice, ice, baby

LVblizzard

Yes, I know it's over a week away, but there's a strong signal on the models for some type of significant event in the middle of next week. The GFS and Euro both show major snowstorms for I-95 N&W, while the CMC shows significant snow before a changeover to ice and rain.

The problem with this is that there's very little to no blocking, so this could cut into the lakes just as easily as it could become a snowstorm for most of us. But I feel like the threat is still worth discussing, especially considering our next possible snow event looks like nothing more than another 2-4" deal.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a classic gradient pattern. The PV to the north is providing the blocking a long with the ridge over the southeast. Storms will ride a long the boundary and produce big snows to the north and east of the track. It all comes down to the exact orientation of the gradient, however the GFS has been locked in since day 15 (pretty damn impressive) and the ensembles have looked great since too. The ECMWF latched on yesterday at 12z. We have remarkable model agreement for a day 8+ event and excellent ensemble support from the GEFS and Euro ensembles. Heck even the crappy DGEX has the storm.

This particular gradient looks to setup somewhere over the mid-atlantic so northern areas would have the best shot with higher ratios of seeing a major snowfall. The 00z ECMWF was widespread 12"+ with pockets of over 2 feet.

Keep us posted ;)

Ensemble mean is well south of the op.  EPS never gets the 850 0c above a line from about Hagerstown MD to Lancaster to Trenton around 180 then sinks back south to right through Philly during the height of the "storm".  SLP takes a much weaker low off to the south.  Ensemble mean actually if anything ticked south a bit from 0z. 

I have no scientific expertise to add, but I do want to point out how, in those rare years where it just likes to snow in a particular area (and it has definitely been one of them so far for the immediate I-95 corridor), mother nature tends to keep on finding a way to deliver something.  On Saturday, everything pointed toward heavier, steadier snow being well to the north, but most of the area managed to squeeze out 2+".  Even tonight, a storm that everybody fully expected to be way out to sea is now looking like it will find a way to deliver an inch or two in the I-95 corridor.  I am not saying a cutter is off the table for 2/4-6 for this reason, but, personally, I see this storm somehow, some way delivering for the Philly area again.  

Enjoy it while you can... this kind of year will almost certainly not repeat again for a while and, if recent history is any indicator, we could easily be in for a couple of <10" seasons as a payback after this one.         

Archived