2/4-2/5 Winter Storm - ice, ice, baby

LVblizzard

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are the ECM updates for 2/5 storm? QPF please

Doesn't look colder as indicated in NYC side on crappy maps i see

Appears to target lehigh valley with heaviest snow

The warm air surges fast at 800 mb, it looks like TTN doesn't even get an inch of snow.   Then lots of sleet and freezing rain.

Ray would you say mostly snow line is I78 or north of there? Looks to be big gradient north burbs down to philly with this one

EC changes ABE over but I could see maybe 3-5" of snow there before then, again this is based solely on 12Z EC. 

The 800mb 0C line makes it up to MPO by 12Z Wednesday so even the Pocs could get sleeted on.

Valentines day 2007 part deuce? 

i remember that one well, 7" of sleet, people stranded on 78..

If that scenario happens, even close to that storm;(my loc.4/6"Snow+6"Sleet+6+"Snow on top) I'd Love it...sooo many newbies have moved in around here and have No idea...that mixture was impossible to plow,even shovel...took a front end loader to get my driveway open,after 3 days shut in...

If that scenario happens, even close to that storm;(my loc.4/6"Snow+6"Sleet+6+"Snow on top) I'd Love it...sooo many newbies have moved in around here and have No idea...that mixture was impossible to plow,even shovel...took a front end loader to get my driveway open,after 3 days shut in...

Yes and I believe we  only had a winter weather advisory 

HWO for Lehigh Valley, Warren, Sussex (NJ), so. Poconos:

THERE IS A HIGH PROBABILITY OF SUBSTANTIAL WINTRY PRECIPITATION,INCLUDING SNOW TO FREEZING RAIN TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

The HWO for this area actually mentions (2) WSW's, one for tomorrow and one for Tuesday night, although the one for Tuesday night does not appear to have been issued(?). Interesting to see for 2 separate dates in the same HWO in this area...

Yah - gotta wait to see the profiles, but it doesn't look pretty.  Thinking, though, based on past experience that with marginal temps and heavier precip, you get a fair amount of melting despite it still technically being freezing rain.

Yeah, best (well, worst) ZR events are slow and steady.  Besides the fact the rain doesn't have time to freeze on trees when its falling really hard, the harder the rain falls means the faster the air warms as all that moisture releases heat into the atmosphere.

I have big concern of the icing that will occur considering the nature of the current heavy wet snow which has adhered to everything, ice on that is going to bring down trees

Possible... though above freezing temperatures may allow snow to melt of the trees tomorrow.

Yeah, best (well, worst) ZR events are slow and steady.  Besides the fact the rain doesn't have time to freeze on trees when its falling really hard, the harder the rain falls means the faster the air warms as all that moisture releases heat into the atmosphere.

Especially when we'll probably be 30-31 when it's raining.    25 degrees and you'll do alot better with ice accretion during

heavy rain.

Archived