Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/4-2/5 Winter Storm - ice, ice, baby

LVblizzard

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been the opposite of consistent though. 00z and 6z had a coastal storm. The Euro has also been wildly changing from run to run which is very uncharacteristic of it. Like everyone else has been saying, just ride the ensembles for now.

Exactly. Only 12z has "consistently" been showing the cutter. But even this run forms a secondary, albeit too late, still better than a true cutter.

Sent from my HTC ONE

6z GFS output or ECM control, about the best fantasy snow map since 2010

0z ECM ensembles support a big winter storm should be a fun ride

Thanks, I just googled it.  Seems to be the ECM Ensemble control run.  I did not know the control run had an ensemble package.

Someone care to point out all the organizations which are sharing the EPS Control Run snowfall map from WxBell showing 30+ inches on Facebook?  They all need a double facepalm from me ;)
I've already had the store manager at work show me this map in a panic and ask if it was true....

Why have I never seen a "control run" map until today? What is the control run anyway, and how does it relate to the operational/ensembles?

It seems most of the operational models are hanging a bit further north.  This will greatly affect my travel plans so let's go models, get with the program.

Why have I never seen a "control run" map until today? What is the control run anyway, and how does it relate to the operational/ensembles?

It seems most of the operational models are hanging a bit further north.  This will greatly affect my travel plans so let's go models, get with the program.

Its basically a lower resolution version of the European operational.  So not as good as the Euro op.

In more detail:

EPS is Ensemble Prediction System.  Ensembles are lower resolution simulations which are created by slightly altering the initial data fed into them, on the assumption that not all that data may actually be quite correct or that certain details may have been missed from the observations.  The Control Run is an ensemble simulation which is fed data without any changes. 

Archived