joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely another shadow bust here. I kind of figured it would be.

Ehh its nothing impressive yet on Mansfield...maybe a 1/4" dusting.  I wouldn't sweat it, we'll see what happens, this was always going to be south and east of us with the best lift.

This is the winter of the NW New England general shadow... though the valleys aren't too far off normal (as J.Spin pointed out), the mountains certainly are a bit...but generally speaking I don't think there's any doubt NW New England is taking one for the team this season judging by some of the totals in that PHL-HFD-CON-PWM axis.  When nzucker at Dobbs Ferry, NY down by NYC has the same seasonal snowfall as we do in Stowe (and only like 18" less than J.Spin's magical zone), that pretty much sums it up, lol. 

But hey, we've got snow on the ground, the flakes are still flying, and its winter.  Seasons in seasons.

Ehh its nothing impressive yet on Mansfield...maybe a 1/4" dusting.  I wouldn't sweat it, we'll see what happens, this was always going to be south and east of us with the best lift.

This is the winter of the NW New England general shadow... though the valleys aren't too far off normal (as J.Spin pointed out), the mountains certainly are a bit...but generally speaking I don't think there's any doubt NW New England is taking one for the team this season judging by some of the totals in that PHL-HFD-CON-PWM axis.  When nzucker at Dobbs Ferry, NY down by NYC has the same seasonal snowfall as we do in Stowe (and only like 18" less than J.Spin's magical zone), that pretty much sums it up, lol. 

But hey, we've got snow on the ground, the flakes are still flying, and its winter.  Seasons in seasons.

Yeah for sure we will see what happens after the warm up as we head closer to March.

I love NWS and all that they do but I have to say I have not been impressed with BTV's snowfall forecasting accuracy thus far. They seem to struggle with it, I am guessing because of so much terrain and small scale factors. Revise that forecast to a dusting for today.

11-12 (or was it 10-11?) was bad with the blocking sending everything OTS, but this year it seems we arent getting any upslope snows.  That is what usually sets the northern greens apart even in a season dominated by coastals.  Did someone forget to turn the uplsope machine switch on? 

anyway, it was a great weekend.  hoping beyond hope that what comes friday isnt too bad.

eyewall, March is a definite winter month up here in NNE.  It maybe 50F and sunny one day and snowy the next.  Even the first 10 days of April can be quite wintry.  Leaf out is not until May.  April can be frustrating as its a spring month further south and by then Im done with winter but still have to wait.

April is the hardest month for me.  10 years in Maine after 25 years in PA.  Just can't seem to get my head wrapped around the fact that April is not a spring month.

Was out doing the bi-weekly snow survey... I love the formations that start to show up as the snowpack hits 50" and above. 

I found 11.25" of liquid in 50" of snow in several cores at 3,000ft.

The bottom part of the pack is all made up of this like rock solid granular stuff that does not want to break apart easily.  Clogs the snow tube easily, too.  Probably holds a heck of a lot of water.

Down at 1,550ft I found 25-27" containing 6.0" of water weight.  The ratio from 1.5kft to 3.0kft is pretty similar... snow depth doubles from bottom to upper mtn, and liquid also almost doubles.

I love NWS and all that they do but I have to say I have not been impressed with BTV's snowfall forecasting accuracy thus far. They seem to struggle with it, I am guessing because of so much terrain and small scale factors. Revise that forecast to a dusting for today.

Finally it looks like a decent burst coming in. Some steady light snow now.

Some better bursts now occurring. Squeaking out an inch is possible, maybe 2 in some spots it keeps up.

Nice and yeah we are in a moderate burst now with good efficient accumulating flakes (better dendritic growth than the nor'easter LOL)

Lol how quick you are to judge!

Hahah I knew that would come back to bite me but overall they have been off quite a bit. Rates are decresing again and we are probably not yet at an inch. We will see what the evening brings.

There's no one else I'd listen to in VT, haha.

You have to realize this is not forecasting on like the coastal plain...the terrain plays with every storm, big and small.

There's no one else I'd listen to in VT, haha.

You have to realize this is not forecasting on like the coastal plain...the terrain plays with every storm, big and small.

Yeah it is a difficult position for sure. I realize there is alot of terrain and small scale factors to try and sort out. Shadowing seems to be one of the tougher elements to consider. It caused us in 2 of the storms to go under the forecast range (especially that first one), but for the SWFE we were on the high side in the end.

It's really nice out there.  gonna take a break from work and go for an XC ski while the big flakes fly.  at ~1" here of fluff. The wind was really blasting earlier today, have some pretty wind-packed drifts on the walkway now.

It's really nice out there.  gonna take a break from work and go for an XC ski while the big flakes fly.  at ~1" here of fluff. The wind was really blasting earlier today, have some pretty wind-packed drifts on the walkway now.

I know Bolton had all but a couple of lifts on wind hold today.

Archived