gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter 2014-2015 Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of all the things to panic about you choose the cfs.... how about the fact that we have a strongly negative QBO and a solar max and a faltering nino....

actually, I was bustin' WinterWxLuvr's chops because he always busts mine for using the CFS

since it's showing warm, I intended to suggest he couldn't blame me if we go warm   :)

actually, I was bustin' WinterWxLuvr's chops because he always busts mine for using the CFS

since it's showing warm, I intended to suggest he couldn't blame me if we go warm   :)

I might get scared if it showed big warm anomalies in the east and big cold anomalies in the west or some other big signal for a -PNA or +AO but it just splashes red paint all over the map like some colorblind toddler.

I might get scared if it showed big warm anomalies in the east and big cold anomalies in the west or some other big signal for a -PNA or +AO but it just splashes red paint all over the map like some colorblind toddler.

I have my fingers crossed it's wrong, but miss the pretty dark blues over us       :( 

It did have its stretches of cold....especially around the time of the two very big storms. mid-late December through the last week of January was boring. And winter was essentially over after the last of the big storms. 

On the means it wasn't that cold... neither was last winter. 

Even with the quick ending and boring stretches, I can't imagine anyone on this subforum would be unhappy with a redux.

nah, I just knew we'd be paying a price for what we got, and quite a price it was (winters of 10/11 & 11/12)

If your theory is right that doesn't bode well...

Anyways, 10/11 wasn't that bad. 1/26/11 was a really fun storm and there were a couple of other nice ones. I just remember 1/26/11 was the first storm I followed as a weenie so its special in a way. Anyway, I probably blocked from my memory all the pain of watching 40 north score storm after storm which is why I'm so nostalgic.

If your theory is right that doesn't bode well...

Anyways, 10/11 wasn't that bad. 1/26/11 was a really fun storm and there were a couple of other nice ones. I just remember 1/26/11 was the first storm I followed as a weenie so its special in a way. Anyway, I probably blocked from my memory all the pain of watching 40 north score storm after storm which is why I'm so nostalgic.

1/26/11 never really thrilled me that much

it was so marginal imby, with temps 33ish at the coldest during the meat of the event

by the time you were up in Bel Air or Mapgirl's current location (I think she was in Odenton back then), it was a great storm with a foot or more

If by historic you mean 12" at DCA then I agree...

Here is a list of 25" winters at DCA that had a positive neutral or weak nino:

yeah, but there were no winters before 95/96 with a -.9C ENSO that had anything close to what we had that year

64/65 was just about a perfect match ENSO-wise and it only had (DCA stats) 17.1" vs. the 46" in 95/96, so everything remains on the table

he!!, last year at this time looked like carp too

we're just going to have to hope/count on something other than ENSO to save the day for us

yeah, but there were no winters before 95/96 with a -.9C ENSO that had anything close to what it had that year

64/65 was just about a perfect match ENSO-wise and it only had (DCA stats) 17.1" vs. the 46" in 95/96, so everything remains on the table

he!!, last year at this time looked like carp too

we're just going to have to hope/count on something other than ENSO to save the day for us

I want to at least try to get close to moderate...There is no magic cutoff or formula...but we know our chances are better if Nino is stronger....

LOL. Truth hurtz

I'm just relieved that no diaster signals are showing. No reason to doubt periods of op. Capitalizing is best left to med-short lead disco.

It is easy to get caught up in "we"....we're going to see the words "we" and "us" a lot this fall coming from people who live in other regions...They mean well, but they don't realize how much we suck at winter...

It did have its stretches of cold....especially around the time of the two very big storms. mid-late December through the last week of January was boring. And winter was essentially over after the last of the big storms. 

That's one of the reasons why it was so great.  Coldest period of the year wasn't that cold (with a sweet warmup leading into our crushing Jan 30-Feb 10 period), and the bookends were fantastic.

It is easy to get caught up in "we"....we're going to see the words "we" and "us" a lot this fall coming from people who live in other regions...They mean well, but they don't realize how much we suck at winter...

Big difference too between DCA (and very close-by regions) and areas like Winchester, VA and interior northern MD which all post in this subforum. Some of those outlying areas have pretty respectable stats in weaker Ninos while DCA stuggles.

Big difference too between DCA (and very close-by regions) and areas like Winchester, VA and interior northern MD which all post in this subforum. Some of those outlying areas have pretty respectable stats in weaker Ninos while DCA stuggles.

yeah, 69/70 and 77/78 were not bad at all around here outside of DCA

however, both of those weak NINOs followed weak or moderate NINO

winter of 53/54 seems to be the only weak NINO that followed neutral ENSO and DCA had 18" and BWI had 22.1"

problem this year remains no perfect ENSO analogs (as usual), so something other than ENSO will need to lead us to nirvana if we're going to get there this winter

frankly, I think a decently -AO could be just what the doctor ordered when coupled with a frail NINO

Archived