• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HalloweenGale

I seem to remember about 15" or so. I remember the snow Depth that year getting pretty deep, I remember inspecting houses and the snow was up to my waist in some yards, I don't  remember if it was that deep right after this storm or later in the season because we did get more storms.

The snow depth peaked in the interior on January 12-13 which dropped about 8-12" of snow....about 6 days later, the parade of cutters started. The snow pack never rebounded to pre-cutter depths despite winter returning in February/March (with a 4-5 day thaw latter Feb)

That storm actually had a nasty dryslot with sun visible over SE MA despite them jacking. Big OES contribution too.

I remember the sun coming out fully, or just barely seeing the disc on Tuesday I believe. Same goes for the 10th Clipper.

I remember how innocently it started. Sunday afternoon looked picturesque with the light flurries, then after dark it ramped up.

Jan 1996 was the snow depth record for BOS (broke 1978) and still is since 2011 I believe never got measured officially as depth is no longer kept.

What do you mean by this?

Back before the FAA contract observers took over, snow depth observations were taken every day at 12Z.  Since the early 90s, though, only a few sites do this.  We worked out agreements with the WCOs at BDL and PVD to do this for us, as they are on site.  The volunteers that measure snow for ORH and BOS not able to do this, since they are not right on site (within 2 miles and 100 feet of the site).

--Turtle   

Back before the FAA contract observers took over, snow depth observations were taken every day at 12Z.  Since the early 90s, though, only a few sites do this.  We worked out agreements with the WCOs at BDL and PVD to do this for us, as they are on site.  The volunteers that measure snow for ORH and BOS not able to do this, since they are not right on site (within 2 miles and 100 feet of the site).

--Turtle   

With ALL the mistakes at airports recently (especially at Baltimore, Hartford and Especially Providence which is always SO damned low) how does one get to do that, cause it seems like pulling teeth for getting people to do it, But someone like me would PAY to do it!  

How does it work?  

- Cory  "The Snowman"   

With ALL the mistakes at airports recently (especially at Baltimore, Hartford and Especially Providence which is always SO damned low) how does one get to do that, cause it seems like pulling teeth for getting people to do it, But someone like me would PAY to do it!  

How does it work?  

- Cory  "The Snowman"   

Hi Cory!

What is low at PVD?  Temp...DP??  Not sure.  That is all done by our dear 'friend,' ASOS.  

The electronics techs have criteria to go out to QC T/Td.  The forecasters and HMTs do QC those as well.  When we see a certain location too high or low as compared to neighboring sites, but only a few degrees either way, we do inquire with the el techs.  However, when we see an obvious discrepancy, we can act upon it ourselves.  This happened at PYM last week during the arctic airmass.  The mid shift noticed the T was much too warm, and called it in to the 24 hour site.  The sensor was shut off until the el techs could get out to fix it.  Unfortunately, even though we are "back in business," so to speak, there are still big budget constraints so have to watch when the el techs travel to fix ASOSs.  If they have to, they will, but for obvious problems. 

When it comes to doing the snow on ground reports at 12Z, the observers do have to be on site AFAIK.  I'm sure you can understand this, as snow on the ground can be vastly different even a few miles apart depending upon temps, melt rates and so forth.  I realize this is frustrating.  Wish I could offer more.

BTW, when PVD first converted from NWS to contractors in 1994 (as I recall), my hub was a part of the first team.  There was a BIG outrage when NO snow measurements were taken during that first winter.  When the second winter came around, NWS agreed to pay the contractors $1 per snow OB that winter.  Yes, the 1995-96 winter!  The hub got a BIG paycheck that winter!!!   ;)  Needless to say, that doesn't happen now the way budgets are.

--Turtle   

wife and I were vacationing in St John when I was watching all the news reports of the epic storm. Needless to say,we were supposed to head home on the 14th our flight out of St Thomas to San Juan was fine. Once we got to San Juan all bets were off. We were stranded so we took a taxi 15miles from the airport to get a hotel room at triple the cost. Next day we lucked out and grabbed a flight to JFK we got bumped to first class because we were on standby. From JFK, our friend who lived in the city was kind enough to drive us home 4.5hr drive. Got home to 5' snow banks at the end of the driveway. 

I was a skywarn spotter in Jaffrey New Hampshire at the time and we had more then a foot of snow there..great storm...for the 1995-96 season we ended up with 168" of snow and was verified by the National Weather Service of Taunton. We had two back to back storms of 30" during that season. Biggest winter of all for me,other then the Bliz of 78 where i lived in Maine at the time.

I was a skywarn spotter in Jaffrey New Hampshire at the time and we had more then a foot of snow there..great storm...for the 1995-96 season we ended up with 168" of snow and was verified by the National Weather Service of Taunton. We had two back to back storms of 30" during that season. Biggest winter of all for me,other then the Bliz of 78 where i lived in Maine at the time.

what were the back to back storms up there in 95-96?

what were the back to back storms up there in 95-96?

I remember two 30" storms in Jaffrey in 2001...2/5/01 and 3/4-6/01 gave them 30". I do not recall any storm giving them that much in 1996. The coop site had their largest storm that winter on 4/10 with 21 inches. They also had 18.5" in the storm this thread is talking about 1/7-8/96.

Hi Cory!

What is low at PVD?  Temp...DP??  Not sure.  That is all done by our dear 'friend,' ASOS.  

The electronics techs have criteria to go out to QC T/Td.  The forecasters and HMTs do QC those as well.  When we see a certain location too high or low as compared to neighboring sites, but only a few degrees either way, we do inquire with the el techs.  However, when we see an obvious discrepancy, we can act upon it ourselves.  This happened at PYM last week during the arctic airmass.  The mid shift noticed the T was much too warm, and called it in to the 24 hour site.  The sensor was shut off until the el techs could get out to fix it.  Unfortunately, even though we are "back in business," so to speak, there are still big budget constraints so have to watch when the el techs travel to fix ASOSs.  If they have to, they will, but for obvious problems. 

When it comes to doing the snow on ground reports at 12Z, the observers do have to be on site AFAIK.  I'm sure you can understand this, as snow on the ground can be vastly different even a few miles apart depending upon temps, melt rates and so forth.  I realize this is frustrating.  Wish I could offer more.

BTW, when PVD first converted from NWS to contractors in 1994 (as I recall), my hub was a part of the first team.  There was a BIG outrage when NO snow measurements were taken during that first winter.  When the second winter came around, NWS agreed to pay the contractors $1 per snow OB that winter.  Yes, the 1995-96 winter!  The hub got a BIG paycheck that winter!!!   ;)  Needless to say, that doesn't happen now the way budgets are.

--Turtle   

Ya my complaint was the PVD Snow amounts in storms are always too low.  Someone doesn't give a rats behind about the totals.  And I'd pay $1 Easily to be the official guy to go down there and measure.  I routinely get 2X to 3X the amount of snow at PVD and people have 30% more than there all the time in the neighboring towns.  It's beyond frustrating at every storm.  I rarely Ever have a complaint at Boston or Worcester.  

From Adams St. in Arlington area, Key Bridge and Georgetown area (M St./Wisconsin Ave).

Yeah, not New England photos, but that's where I was living at the time.  Plus I'd rather not venture into the MA forum to post.

Oh wow-- those are spectacular pics for anywhere inside DC proper. Please do post them in the MA forum-- I'll start a thread about comparing the Blizzard of '96 to 2/5-6/10. 

Ya my complaint was the PVD Snow amounts in storms are always too low.  Someone doesn't give a rats behind about the totals.  And I'd pay $1 Easily to be the official guy to go down there and measure.  I routinely get 2X to 3X the amount of snow at PVD and people have 30% more than there all the time in the neighboring towns.  It's beyond frustrating at every storm.  I rarely Ever have a complaint at Boston or Worcester.  

Huh? They are really low lately.

BOS and PVD are both in probably the least snowiest parts of town...they are going to be lower than the rest of the city. ORH airport (or when I've helped out with measurements on winter hill) are all over 900 feet. BDL is north of Hartford.

BOS can be tough when they are using Winthrop coop...because there is no guarantee you get the measurements before it settles. It always depends on when the observer measures...and if they are doing 6 hour or not.

BOS and PVD are both in probably the least snowiest parts of town...they are going to be lower than the rest of the city. ORH airport (or when I've helped out with measurements on winter hill) are all over 900 feet. BDL is north of Hartford.

BOS can be tough when they are using Winthrop coop...because there is no guarantee you get the measurements before it settles. It always depends on when the observer measures...and if they are doing 6 hour or not.

Or how they measure. He has to be careful with windy events...those totals stick out like a sore thumb.

Or how they measure. He has to be careful with windy events...those totals stick out like a sore thumb.

It's tough at BOS being right on the Harbor there.  The Winthrop report is only about 2 miles as the crow flies from Logan, and the same elevation (not much!).  BOS will almost always have lower amounts than other parts of the city.  Winthrop has been reporting to us for years now, and we have also spoken with him.  He's very careful about his measurements, and does as good a job as he can.  

You are also correct about PVD, Will.  They are not far away from the Bay, and they are in Warwick, NOT downtown Providence.  This is about 8 miles S of the city, so not representative there.  We do have an occasional observer that calls us from Federal Hill, and does a pretty good job.  One of our forecasters also lives near Federal Hill, as well as another on the East Side.

--Turtle

Archived