• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 10-12th Snow/Sleet/Freezing Rain/Rain event

RyanDe680

I'd recommend going out to clear the drains if you can.  I walked down to the corner of my street earlier and found 8-12 inches of standing water there.  All it took was a few scoops of the shovel and it quickly drained.

I tried, but it is currently buried under about 3 feet of street plowed crust....our street width has decreased about 4 feet from what it normally is due to the snow piles lining the streets...I may try and go out there with an ice breaker later....but i'm also wondering if it might not be better to leave all the water as it can serve as some traction vs. the sheet of ice under the standing water....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOT issued freezing rain advisory until midnight due to the slick spots.  Temp at 39F but the streets are a complete mess. 

Really amazing to see how bad the conditions are.  I've seen cases of icing with 2m temps of like 34-35 but not sure I recall one with temps this warm.

Really amazing to see how bad the conditions are.  I've seen cases of icing with 2m temps of like 34-35 but not sure I recall one with temps this warm.

It really is amazing, and it's certainly catching people off guard. All we keep hearing about is temps near 40 and a soaking rain, so not many people thinking about ice. I can't make it up my driveway right now, and the incline isn't that steep. It's a good thing the rain will have a chance to drain away before it drops below freezing again. I can't even imagine the chaos if all this rain and melted snowpack refroze. 

I tried, but it is currently buried under about 3 feet of street plowed crust....our street width has decreased about 4 feet from what it normally is due to the snow piles lining the streets...I may try and go out there with an ice breaker later....but i'm also wondering if it might not be better to leave all the water as it can serve as some traction vs. the sheet of ice under the standing water....

I'm not sure that the standing water will provide any traction, and will just make it that much harder for our wheels to move across the ice.  Mine drain was pretty easily accessible, at least once I remembered exactly where it was.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

642 PM CST FRI JAN 10 2014  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0637 PM FREEZING RAIN OREGON 42.01N 89.34W  

01/10/2014 U0.00 INCH OGLE IL BROADCAST MEDIA  

HIGHWAYS IL2, IL72 AND IL64 SHUT DOWN IN PARTS OF OGLE  

COUNTY DUE TO ICE. RELAYED BY WREX  

I'm not sure that the standing water will provide any traction, and will just make it that much harder for our wheels to move across the ice.  Mine drain was pretty easily accessible, at least once I remembered exactly where it was.

True, but hopefully the standing water at least slows people down a bit in the first place....although, we don't have nearly as much standing water as you do/did .... maybe only an inch or so here at the moment

dang...as I type I just watched another car slide down our street and go up on someone's lawn....I would ask for the temp to keep going up...but it doesn't seem like that will be quite enough tonight...

yeah, I can't really remember off the top of my head similar situations to what is unfolding this evening.  I mean, nearing 40 and having ice not melt off...snow is one thing, but accrued ice on pavement?  pretty amazing indeed

It is horrible here in RFD, flooding from snow-melt/heavy rain, no where for water to go because of frozen ground. Plus, the Ground Flux from Frozen Soil is making it's presence known on all the roads around here. Crazy, "hundreds of car accidents" said the State Police...

Same here. It is torching at 38° here, but I can't recall a time when my driveway was more icy!

All I hear outside is running water. Snow depth down ~3".

A mess here in Bull Valley despite 38F. Heavy salt-loaded Village snow plow spun out coming over a hill. He didn't roll but is sitting with tail end well into the ditch and blade out on the centerline perpendicular to travel. Ain't going anywhere. Cars all backed up unable to make it up hill. Not enough cops to close road so they keep coming/getting stuck/turning around. Second plow just showed up and started salting the hell out of it. Then he thinks he is going to pull the other one out. Yeah right...

Same here. It is torching at 38° here, but I can't recall a time when my driveway was more icy!

All I hear outside is running water. Snow depth down ~3".

It's a good 36 here and just about every road or sidewalk has a good tenth of an inch or two of icing on it. Could be worse though, at least there's no ice building up on trees and power lines, else we could be looking at some major power outage concerns.

man, stockton is 50 miles west of nowhere.

Lol....they retired to a 26 acre farm out there....but the family is actually from westmont. Their place is about a mile from Apple Canyon Lake....so we frequent that quite a bit spring through fall. Kids love it out there...i really like the drive too....once I get past Aurora, I just set the cruise control and I'm good to go....very little in the way of weekend traffic....exception being the longer fall weekends when everyone is headed to the area to look at the leaves

For days the models had decent to good precip across eastern Iowa from this storm, but all we have received is drizzle that has iced up parts of the driveway and patio.

I saw reports of highways being closed around your area a bit earlier today. Looks like they made it sound a lot worse than it actually was... or have people in Iowa still not figured out how to drive in wintry conditions either?  I say that because some people in Wisconsin still drive like idiots when roads are in bad shape  :stun:

Archived