joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 Obs

tnweathernut

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, I wanted chaos and I got it.  I barely got my kids and made it home.  I drove in HEAVY snow with huge flakes, roads are terribad.  Lots of cars not making it up hills.  Minimal brine on roads from what I can tell, especially once you get off the main veins. 

At the moment the flakes are finer but still falling moderately.  I have an inch on my deck.  It'll be interesting to see if the returns match what the RAP was showing.  Radar seems to show some expansion over the plateau.  Hopefully we can keep the fun going into the afternoon!  Congrats to all getting snow!

All major roads in JC are snow covered and slick. I'm inside Target, but at last check moderate snow was falling. Kevin, I made it to campus just as ETSU cancelled. Figures, haha. Campus is incredibly slick as ETSU does very little to prepare for or remove snow. Hope she made it out safely!

Dang Blue Ridge, sorry you had such bad timing! Hope the trip home was uneventful! Thankfully my daughter lives next to campus, so she had no problems making it home. If she would have had to drive I-26 between JC and Kpt, it would have been bad! That road with it's useless super-elevations, is awful in the snow/ice...which I'm sure you know well!

edit: Just saw that you were posting from Target, so I guess I should say have a safe trip home! ;)

I don't understand Knox County's decision. The WWA was a part of the 3am package....my daughter, 16, barely made it home...She drove 25mph and said every a-hole on the planet was beeping at her...She also saw two 360s on Middlebrook Pike...On another note...here is downtown Chatty where Jeff and I are working....

post-1670-0-44299100-1390930452_thumb.jp

I honestly think if they would just have left the stupid roads alone it would be better than what is occurring now.  They are melting the POWDERY snow so that it can refreeze as ICE.  I agree Mr. Bob, the decision to put school in session today with the modeling and information available today was something that shouldn't have happened.  Seems like they (MRX) has been terrible this year with their WWA's and it's putting peoples lives in danger.  I'd rather you call for something, show the data, and then eat crow later than call for minimal issues and have teenage drivers trying to get home in this type of weather.  Pretty stupid and irresponsible if you ask me.

Mr. Bob, the superintendent is from New Hampshire. My step-daughter is through with Knox Co schools now, but it's happened here before. I don't think he realizes that it's not NE down here. After she was old enough to drive, we went to get her several times and one of us drove her car home, which she didn't like, but we saw the same 360s.

My wife was just in a multi-car wreck and is stranded with a bunch of people.  Bluegrass Rd and Ebenezer.  This is right in front of Bluegrass school where everybody is picking up their kids.  No sign of road treatments at all.  The hill is impassable....

I hope she's okay, Stove! My wife is currently trying to get from Henley St to Halls. I'm afraid she'll never make it up Black Oak Ridge in Fountain City!

Nut, I agree about Knox County Schools! Kingsport City did the exact same thing. With this forecast, what were they thinking. MRX at least had the WWA in their forecast early this AM. I think it's probably the school officials saying "well they have missed so many times before" and being bitten in the backside because of it...

Dang Stovepipe. Just the aggravation of getting a car fixed is a pain. I was shocked when I read earlier they didn't close school. Can you imagine the more hilly side of the county? I heard on the radio the roads are a mess and my brother just left to go to the drug store to get some medication he has to have today. He has to go up the hill by Walgreens at Lovell.

I'm glad it's just a fender bender, but there's no reason that had to happen. I'm so sorry.

Dang Stovepipe. Just the aggravation of getting a car fixed is a pain. I was shocked when I read earlier they didn't close school. Can you imagine the more hilly side of the county? I heard on the radio the roads are a mess and my brother just left to go to the drug store to get some medication he has to have today. He has to go up the hill by Walgreens at Lovell.

I'm glad it's just a fender bender, but there's no reason that had to happen. I'm so sorry.

She is fine, just waiting for some assistance to arrive although there doesn't appear to be any police on the way.  I don't care about the van, that's fixable, but it's pretty ridiculous that schools were open.  I'm just a hobbyist weather watcher, not even a particularly good one, and I could have told you at noon yesterday that schools should have been closed today.  By last night there was near 100% certainty we'd get an inch.

Mr. Bob, the superintendent is from New Hampshire. My step-daughter is through with Knox Co schools now, but it's happened here before. I don't think he realizes that it's not NE down here. After she was old enough to drive, we went to get her several times and one of us drove her car home, which she didn't like, but we saw the same 360s.

Hamilton County did the same thing. They got burned after all the misses this winter...Chattanooga is total gridlock right now...I released some of my folks to go home and they are getting about a two to three miles in an hour.

Attached is my back porch in West Hills just a few minutes ago...my daughter sent it to me...I hate to be missing it.

post-1670-0-68903100-1390931884_thumb.jp

Archived