joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 Obs

tnweathernut

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prelim reports from MRX show Bristol with 4" and Kingsport with 3.5". No way. Just look at the radar returns from yesterday. Substantially more snow here. WJHL and WCYB reported this at 11:00 PM last night. We easily had 4" last night on the west end, may have been more. Great example of how southern stream systems usually produce more in Kingsport because we are further from the Apps and don't get the rain shadow from the Apps with that type of flow. Now, northwest flow is a rain shadow due to the Plateau. Brings us to 6" for the season. Should have been another record low set this AM. Makes three for the month. So, roughly 10% of the record lows for all of Jan at KTRI were set this month and year.

Prelim reports from MRX show Bristol with 4" and Kingsport with 3.5". No way. Just look at the radar returns from yesterday. Substantially more snow here. WJHL and WCYB reported this at 11:00 PM last night. We easily had 4" last night on the west end, may have been more. Great example of how southern stream systems usually produce more in Kingsport because we are further from the Apps and don't get the rain shadow from the Apps with that type of flow. Now, northwest flow is a rain shadow due to the Plateau. Brings us to 6" for the season. Should have been another record low set this AM. Makes three for the month. So, roughly 10% of the record lows for all of Jan at KTRI were set this month and year.

Agreed Carvers. I'm near Church Hill and we have every bit of 4 inches on the ground, minimum. Three record lows in January alone? That's an amazing stat. It's great to have such an active winter after the last few we've had! It must be because we got our own subforum! ;)  

And I agree with everyone who has spoken highly of Robert's work! I have always enjoyed reading his stuff in the past and he NAILED this one for the TN Valley!

Is Alabama part of the Tenn Valley? I always thought it was because of TVA. Look at this mess in B'ham

TVA only incorporates Huntsville and the rest of the northern quarter of Alabama but we would certainly be happy having Alabama posters join in...

There are a few of us here in north Alabama; I am just outside of Huntsville, but tend to keep quiet because I am not an amateur meteorologist.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

About 3 inches here in Greeneville. Over 4 inches in western part of Greene County. My Davis vantage pro 2 weather station recorded a low of -1 degrees this morning. Great storm and hopeful for more to come going into February. This subforum is fantastic...enjoy reading everyone's comments!

There are a few of us here in north Alabama; I am just outside of Huntsville, but tend to keep quiet because I am not an amateur meteorologist.

Sent from my KFTT HD

Excellent quote.  I may use that some day, Zippity.  Glad northern Alabama is part of our region.  Looks like we may have to wait a week or so before tracking a new threat. 

Currently -2, may shave off 1 or two more degrees.

What a frigid month. I have managed -2 on the 6th, -8 on the 7th, 6  on the 8th, 2 on the 22nd, 1 on the 23rd, -4 on the 24th, 0 on the 28th, -5 on the 29th, and as mentioned, -2 so far today, the 30th. On 8 days the high was sub-freezing, three of them featured highs in the teens. Snow fell from the sky on 11 of the 30 days and accumulated to a total of 11.5 inches the 11 days, the maximum of which was 3 inches on January 3rd. 

Sent from my KFTT HD

I just want to say that I hope this isn't how a lot of you feel.  We all bring something to the table here and all discussion is welcome and appreciated.  Doesn't matter if it's obs, general comments, history, jokes, analysis, data, whatever.  People may have formed an impression based on other sub-forums but I really hope going forward that everyone is comfortable chiming in here.

The lowest temp I saw this morning at my house was 4 degrees.

Sent from my KFTT HD

I just want to say that I hope this isn't how a lot of you feel.  We all bring something to the table here and all discussion is welcome and appreciated.  Doesn't matter if it's obs, general comments, history, jokes, analysis, data, whatever.  People may have formed an impression based on other sub-forums but I really hope going forward that everyone is comfortable chiming in here.

The lowest temp I saw this morning at my house was 4 degrees.

My apologies, I intended that statement to show respect towards the people here who have put in a lot of time and effort studying a complex subject, but instead it may have come across as grumbling or snarky. Everyone on this sub forum has been kind and welcoming, and I have enjoyed hanging out here. I just don't have a lot to add to the conversation besides, "gee, that's a nice storm," so I kind of keep quiet.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Back on Jan 28 I recorded about an inch and a third of snow, in between the official CHA total and what dwagner measured. Chattownsnow I hope you will post more too. Sorry I'm late with the obs after a crazy week at work and home. After gridlock city, our toddler got to play in snow for the first time!

Thank you for positive feedback on my forecasts. I will share when I can. Today I'm ignoring Sunday night. I'm still in recovery from the week at work but may have more to say this weekend.

Finally, I think we all welcome Alabama to our subform. North Alabama is right in the Tennessee River Valley. Mississippi is welcome too. North Mississippi is the Mid South which I include along TVA lines. Also parts of Georgia, esp northwest, follow the west of the Apps pattern. Cheers!

Archived