joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 Obs

tnweathernut

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Stove! Just for my clarification (I know this is a dumb question) is that the forecasted reflectivity for midnight? Sorry, just learning about models!

No problem Vol, that is the modeled radar reflectivity for 0z or 7pm (I think or is it 8pm?) tonight.  It completely peters out about 3 hours after that.

In the meantime, it looks like the radar is filling in a bit and snow has started back again here. 

The band that is over John now should start to pivot eastward over the next few hours and fill in. This is not over with yet for at least another 5 hours. I could see another 1-2 inches falling from the Plateau eastward to the mountains.

It has snowed here lightly non stop since 8 and I've got 1 and a half inches so far.

Stovepipe, it ended up being 20 school buses they are saying & they are going to get the last load of kids now. The sheriff's office is taking all those kids home and as of 3:45 they had one left. So nearly five hours to get some kids home. Stupid.

I think what caught everybody off guard was that the roads weren't brined (of course) and that once the air got saturated it piled up in a hurry. Virga was technically falling from about 8AM this morning but the air didn't get saturated until 11AM. So, maybe the NWS knew what was going on but the officials didn't?

Dang Blue Ridge, sorry you had such bad timing! Hope the trip home was uneventful! Thankfully my daughter lives next to campus, so she had no problems making it home. If she would have had to drive I-26 between JC and Kpt, it would have been bad! That road with it's useless super-elevations, is awful in the snow/ice...which I'm sure you know well!

edit: Just saw that you were posting from Target, so I guess I should say have a safe trip home! ;)

Thanks, Kevin! Good to hear she's safe. Traffic is moving well in JC, but the primary roads vary from slushy to covered. 26 is an absolute mess in places, particularly between exit 24 (Elizabethon) and exit 27 (Okolona). The first mile or two in Unicoi County is okay, but conditions deteriorate quickly when cresting Unicoi Hill and descending toward Erwin. A friend from JC who works in Kingsport says his commute was awful.

I honestly think if they would just have left the stupid roads alone it would be better than what is occurring now.  They are melting the POWDERY snow so that it can refreeze as ICE.  I agree Mr. Bob, the decision to put school in session today with the modeling and information available today was something that shouldn't have happened.  Seems like they (MRX) has been terrible this year with their WWA's and it's putting peoples lives in danger.  I'd rather you call for something, show the data, and then eat crow later than call for minimal issues and have teenage drivers trying to get home in this type of weather.  Pretty stupid and irresponsible if you ask me.

I have a story I'll share later regarding MRX and Saturday's storm.

They could have done much better today than issuing an advisory at 3:30 am for a storm that began in some spots at 7:00 am.

She is fine, just waiting for some assistance to arrive although there doesn't appear to be any police on the way.  I don't care about the van, that's fixable, but it's pretty ridiculous that schools were open.  I'm just a hobbyist weather watcher, not even a particularly good one, and I could have told you at noon yesterday that schools should have been closed today.  By last night there was near 100% certainty we'd get an inch.

I hate to hear she was involved in an accident. Good to know she is unharmed.

Even in the Tri-Cities, several school districts made the decision to hold classes this morning. There is never any reason to risk the lives of children. When snow is 100% without-a-doubt going to fall and temperatures are in the upper teens, there should be no question to call off school. None.

Stovepipe, it ended up being 20 school buses they are saying & they are going to get the last load of kids now. The sheriff's office is taking all those kids home and as of 3:45 they had one left. So nearly five hours to get some kids home. Stupid.

Stupid, disgraceful, irresponsible.

I'm off my soapbox. Back in Erwin, I have a little over an inch with light snow falling.

Crazy!

My wife and son made it home about 2 hours after the bumper cars incident. They finally brined the hill and she was able to drive the crashed van almost to our neighborhood until, I kid you not, a school bus was crossways in a ditch blocking the road. She parked the van and they just walked the rest of the way home. Wild day!

I think what caught everybody off guard was that the roads weren't brined (of course) and that once the air got saturated it piled up in a hurry. Virga was technically falling from about 8AM this morning but the air didn't get saturated until 11AM. So, maybe the NWS knew what was going on but the officials didn't?

They must not have known. My street was covered at 10:15. Even if they salt the roads, they still have roads the buses can't reach on the other side of the county. I remember quite a few snow days for school when we got nearly nothing in West Knox. Wild.

Archived