joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its just been a "meh" start to the winter in northern VT... funny though the different opinions even within this thread with some of the NH/ME crowd having a fantastic start to the winter.  November was my favorite month so far, haha.

Yeah, "meh" is a good way to describe it...snowfall-wise, I mean. Temps have certainly been cold enough.  I've certainly seen worse, though, that's for sure...and I've only been up here since '98.

I love snowy/cold Novembers.  Much more than, say, snowy Marches.  I think what I need to do is get on the ball and sell this house...it's much too big for my needs now.  What are 2 bedroom condos at Stowe going for these days, PF?  :D.    I think I'd like a place closer to your area, say somewhere between the spine and the Worcester range around 1500' or higher.  I'd like to get into a more favorable upslope area.

3.25" here imby as of 9:45pm.

yeah con seems low, a bit over 6" here 2.5mi away from it

yeah don't see how that's possible. up to 7" here now. Has been micro flakes since the first batch this morning, probably will stay that way. Kind of a boring way to get to the 8-12 inch range. been almost a constant .2" to .3" an hour snow all day as I had 4 inches around 11AM

I guess they tossed the Van Buren -47F

000NOUS41 KCAR 030342 CCBPNSCARPUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...CORRECTED FOR MASARDIS AND CONNOR TWPNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME1040 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014...LATEST LOW TEMPERATURE REPORTS FOR JANUARY 2ND 2014...LOCATION                       TEMP      TIME/DATE       LAT/LON...MAINE......AROOSTOOK...BIG BLACK RIVER                -42       0630 AM 01/02   46.89N/69.75WMASARDIS                       -42       0700 AM 01/02NINE-MILE BRIDGE               -40       0600 AM 01/02   46.70N/69.72WDICKEY                         -39       0500 AM 01/02   47.11N/69.09WLIMESTONE                      -36       0630 AM 01/02   46.55N/67.49WLILLE                          -35       0700 AM 01/02   47.28N/68.11W1 SW FORT KENT                 -34       0703 AM 01/02   47.24N/68.61W5 SE GRAND ISLE                -31       0631 AM 01/02   47.24N/68.10WLILLE                          -31       0700 AM 01/021 SSE FORT KENT                -31       0632 AM 01/02   47.25N/68.58W

Pushing 7" further southeast. An overperformer in my generally pessimistic mind. Allenson must have similar totals.

Very cool. I am hoping for one big ticket storm this season at some point. This snow has been painfully light.

Its just been a "meh" start to the winter in northern VT... funny though the different opinions even within this thread with some of the NH/ME crowd having a fantastic start to the winter.  November was my favorite month so far, haha.

Yeah, “meh” is what you have to go with when December, a key snow month, comes in down near half of normal snowfall.  We’ve certainly had worse (two in my records: 2006 with 20.2” and 2011 with 24.7”), but with just 26.2” this one was right down there in that company.  Indeed November was good, but unfortunately even a strong November can’t carry the first third of the season on its own.

It should be interesting to see what this next storm does as well, we can often do well with these systems that head over us or to the west, but people really seem to have a very negative view of them.

Event totals: 2.9” Snow/0.30” L.E.

The overnight snow was very similar to what came yesterday, just a touch drier, but the storm is hovering around that synoptic 10% H2O range as indicated by the event totals.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.9

Snow Density: 9.2% H2O

Temperature: -6.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

Yeah, “meh” is what you have to go with when December, a key snow month, comes in down near half of normal snowfall. We’ve certainly had worse (two in my records: 2006 with 20.2” and 2011 with 24.7”), but with just 26.2” this one was right down there in that company. Indeed November was good, but unfortunately even a strong November can’t carry the first third of the season on its own.

[/size]

Yeah aside from November, this winter has been less than stellar so far haha. Not a fan of cutters/rain, then arctic cold, then cutters, with 50% of normal snowfall.

I see we are right with 2006-2007 so far which was an epic start to the winter, lol.

I'm sure the NH/ME crowd and southern VT would beg to differ though.

Man that's nuts with the ratios.

I think we've had less than 10:1. This stuff is so dense...like 2.5" on nearly 0.3" liquid.

We have half the liquid you got but 1/5th the snow.

Yeah it was sugar all day long. Our cover looks nice as we have the fresh 2" on top of the old frozen pack, but it was definitely far from the epic depths I was hoping for when the models began on this system and had us getting nailed. Anyway there has been no removal from the streets so they are solid white as well.

Not buying the 7.8" at CON unless they never cleared the board the entire storm. Even then we have a little under 10" in the uncleared spots of the driveway. The ASOS has 0.61" of liquid so far, I have 0.63" from cores, and the Salisbury antifreeze weighing gauge has 0.66".

-16.5F now at 1500ft, snowmaking control station. It is still snowing lightly...coldest temp I've ever seen snow fall from the sky.

Inverted with -6F at summit and -15F at 2,600ft...and -16.5 at 1500ft.

Yeah for me -11F to -12F is a personal record for seeing that (Last night). We may be getting nickled and dimed to death but Sunday will mark 3 weeks straight with a snow cover (which is probably pretty good for the CPV)

Finished up at 8.0" with 0.39" of liquid therein.

20:1 stuff here.

Thought we'd end up around 6", so a bit of an overperformer imho.   :snowing:

8" here too.  Like I said in a earlier post, yesterday's stuff was a different consistency than the stuff that fell last night. The last 4 or 5 inches was vey fluffy.

8" here too.  Like I said in a earlier post, yesterday's stuff was a different consistency than the stuff that fell last night. The last 4 or 5 inches was vey fluffy.

Yeah, same here pretty much.  Started grainy but the afternoon/evening stuff was stacking right up.

Deep deep winter out there.  Bet the trails will be in good shape this weekend.

Not looking good with the models all going west with the cutter of death next week:

HIS WESTERN TRACK NOW FAVORED BY ALL MODELS...AND SEEMS
REASONABLE GIVEN THE POSITION OF THE LARGE UPPER LOW/TROUGH ALONG
WITH INDICATIONS THAT THE UPPER TROUGH WILL TAKE ON A NEGATIVE
TILT FOR A TIME SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING. GIVEN THE
PROJECTED LOW TRACK AND DEEP SOUTHERLY FLOW ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA
SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING...LOOK FOR PRECIPITATION TYPE TO BE
AN ISSUE WITH THIS STORM. TEMP PROFILES SUGGEST A PROLONGED PERIOD
OF MIXED PRECIPITATION...TRANSITIONING IN MOST OF THE AREA FROM
SNOW/SLEET TO RAIN...WITH A PERIOD FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE. AS LOW
LIFTS OUT TO OUR NORTH-NORTHEAST DURING MONDAY...PRECIPITATION
CHANGES BACK TO SNOW BEFORE TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS.

It doesn't sound like any back end snows will be all that helpful on the back of this thing.

Archived