• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Top 5 Weather Events in 2013

metalicwx366

Everyone should post their favorite weather events this year that happened in their backyard or area.

1. 6/25/13 Thunderstorm. Insane severe storm that produced 5.93 inches of rain which was a monthly record and the highest total ever in one day.

2. 9/2/13 Thunderstorm. Highest wind gusts I have ever seen reaching 65mph. Had some trees down around the area and power outages.

3. 3/2/13 Snow. A trace of snow fell in my backyard during the day time in March which is very rare.

4 . December 2013 Heatwave. We had reached 86 degrees 3 different times during the month. The previous all time record high was 84. Also we had a night where the low was only 70.

5. March 2013. The month of March was very cold and ended the month with a departure of -8. The first 6 days of the month had a departure of -15 which was almost as impressive as the December 2013 Heatwave. We set a record low maximum the same day my area picked up a trace of snow.

1. January 17th-18th, 2013 Snowstorm: I received 3.5" of wet snow IMBY.  It accumulated rapidly as it snowed heavily from around 6:30 PM until 11:30 PM.  The ground was saturated and soil temperatures were warm.  In addition, temperatures were above freezing for the duration of the storm (33-34F).  Yet, in a classic case of snowfall rates easily surpassing warm BL temps, soil temps, etc., it accumulated rapidly.  Nevertheless, given the QPF we received, it could have really been special if temperatures were a tad colder and we didn't receive 1-2" of rainfall during the preceding day, but you take what you can get.  A negative was that the heavy, wet snow, caused power outages in my area, including my own house.  This dialed down my enjoyment a bit as all the lights went out, which made the snow hard to see given that it was after dark.  On the negative, because soil temperatures were high and temperatures made it into the mid-40s the next day, it melted pretty quickly.

This storm was a bust for many, but the Greensboro/High Point and northward lucked out and saw its Winter Storm Warnings verify:

accum.20130117.gif

I have a few pictures of this one, but not on the laptop and I don't feel like going over and uploading them at the moment.

2. April 3rd-4th, 2013 Sleet/Snow "Event": It snowed during the day in April.  Enough said.  It was brief (though the period of sleet was longer), but it was pretty cool.  Obviously, there were no accumulations and temperatures never feel below 34 or 35 degrees.  Areas of SW VA actually saw significant accumulations out of this one.  I was just glad to see wintry precipitation in April for the first time in my life (March 30, 2003 was close, though, and that accumulated a little bit).

3. January 25th, 2013 Winter Storm: I received ~0.25" of ZR/IP, but temperatures were in the low to mid 20s and road conditions were a disaster.  It was a classic case of a "minor" event causing significant impacts.  In fact, given that it also hit just before rush hour on a Friday, I'd say it had significantly more impact than the 1/17-1/18 storm.

4. February 16th, 2013 Heavy Snow Shower: During the afternoon, an isolated heavy snow shower made its way over my area and dumped a quick 3/4" of snow in less than 30 minutes.  Rates were insane and, despite temperatures well above freezing and the February sun angle, it piled up quickly.  Unfortunately, it stopped soon (it was a very small shower) and the sun came out, melting a lot of the snow by the end of the day.

This was taken during the middle of it:

You can actually see where the snow shower hit by the 0.5" and 1" SN reports in Guilford County while all areas around there saw little/nothing as far as accumulations.

accum.20130216.gif

5. March 2013: There wasn't a lot of wintry precipitation besides some flurries during the afternoon on March 26th and March 27th (with temperatures well above freezing), but it was a very cold month, the coldest March I can ever remember.  If we could have just received a winter storm with it, it would have been much more epic.

1. Seeing over 4" of rain in an hour in Columbus and coming within 0.01" of breaking a record 24 hour total on August 14th.

2. The 12.47" of rain we saw during February that caused the Riverwalk here to go underwater for a few days.

3. The record "cold" we experienced after the August 14th rain event. We topped out in the low-mid 70s during the day, which is near our average low temperatures than high.

4. The sleet event the morning before Thanksgiving.

5. Avoiding 100°+ heat this summer. :lol:

#5 June - rain ------------------> #2 Mid September (The Rain. All of it.)

#1 February 16th convective snow with thunder. Just under 3 inches in 2 1/2 hours. It finished with a measure between 3" and 3.25".

Taken just over an hour into the event:

Holy **** it was coming down hard. That happened in Lyman?

#1. Too lazy to look up the date, but we had one day where it pretty much sleeted all day. The temp was in the 20s and the roads got icy. It was the first true winter weather day I've had in a long time.

#2-#5. Like Bevo, I'll go with the rain. Tons of rain this year. At one point, there were literally rivers of rushing water, flowing through my neighborhood. Very cool.

Goodness superjames. What kind of elevation are you at ? Impressive to see so many wintry events in what for most people was a boring year for winter weather.

900 ft. It was just a lucky winter for my area. Still, we barely made half of our average snowfall (9"), but considering the fail that surrounded the area in almost all directions, I feel okay about it. The January 17-18 storm busted for just about everyone but here. It was raining nearly in all directions with that one, but snowing in the Greensboro area.

1. Insane Rain on July 27

I received 4.88 inches of rain on July 27, which was the heaviest rain I received through the year. The storm produced 2.5 inches of rain in one hour. It then stalled over Catawba County and produced very heavy rain there. Ten to twelve inches were common and resulted in the worst flood this area has seen in a long time.

2. December 28-29 Rain

Why? Because this put me over 70 inches of rain for the year. We only received 3/4 of an inch of rain from this event; however, it lifted me to the wettest year I have ever seen in the foothills of North Carolina.

3. February 16 Snow

Yes, this was a crazy event. Snow was falling at 1-2 inches an hour. It only lasted fifteen to twenty minutes and coated the ground; however, it was some of the heaviest rates I have seen.

4. The Bust of January 16-17

This is what prompted my friends at home and at UNC-Asheville to ask if I was majoring in professional lying. Even though most areas did see a dusting of snow, it was much less than the forecasted 3-5 inches of snow I told them. I would prefer to never bust like that again, but I am sure it will happen at some point...

5. The Wet Summer

This is probably the wettest summer I have ever seen in the foothills of NC. The grass never turned brown because of showers and storms nearly every day. I think it rained every week in the summer, which helped propel me to over 30 inches of rain along in the summer months. Unprecedented for sure.

#5 - March snow showers/April cold snap - There was a miserable rain/windstorm that occurred the first week of April (Thursday I think) that taunts me because if only it had of been at least 10 degrees colder... :lol:

#4 - Thanksgiving Eve snow - what a great late birthday present, I was pleasantly surprised at the dusting I got and the fact that the airport accumulated more than I did. That doesn't happen often.

#3 - August Cold Snap - When you have to wear a jacket in the middle of August in the South, you know the weather is messed up.

#2 - RAIN, More RAIN - This pretty much sums up all of Spring and Summer.

#1 - Did I mention all the flooding and all the RAIN? - I mean it is the 5th wettest year on record. :flood:

Honorable Mention - If I'm not mistaken there were a couple of days in May that had highs in the 50s here which is extremely unusual to see. 

900 ft. It was just a lucky winter for my area. Still, we barely made half of our average snowfall (9"), but considering the fail that surrounded the area in almost all directions, I feel okay about it. The January 17-18 storm busted for just about everyone but here. It was raining nearly in all directions with that one, but snowing in the Greensboro area.

Just goes to show you how different viewpoints can be when looking at basically the same thing.  I'm just down the road from you and I thought it was a terrible winter.  One event that melted the next day.  I don't count flurries, sleet that doesn't accumulate and varous other things I see people going cray about.  For instance I have had zero events this winter.  Yeah it "snowed" twice in Nov., but zero accumulation puts it in the curiosity column for me.  

Just goes to show you how different viewpoints can be when looking at basically the same thing.  I'm just down the road from you and I thought it was a terrible winter.  One event that melted the next day.  I don't count flurries, sleet that doesn't accumulate and varous other things I see people going cray about.  For instance I have had zero events this winter.  Yeah it "snowed" twice in Nov., but zero accumulation puts it in the curiosity column for me.  

Well, I wouldn't say it was a good winter, either.  However, it was better than 2011-2012 (total disaster besides the February 19th minor event) and, considering the level of fail that most places in the Southeast received, I could stomach it.  I'd still give it a below average rating and if we get another similar winter this year, I won't be too happy.

The rain stands out the most since we're somewhere around 75" for the year. Having three or four days with highs in the low to mid 60s in August was a pretty big deal too. Here also was the four minor snow events in March after crap all winter. I think we also had a light frost in May for the second time the last few years.

5) Cold March

4) Late November light IP (and possibly flurries) event in Dunwoody though I slept through it falling.

3) incredibly heavy rain in Atlanta and Savannah, especially this early to mid summer.

2) Incredible Dec. warmth in Sav., including warmest winter low since 1874!!

1) Savannah fall webworm infestation. It isn't wx, but it was caused by wx: very wet 6/1-8/15 made them more plentiful and very dry 8/15-early Oct. allowed tree webs to not be disturbed. So, this was sort of a "perfect storm" for webworms.

Archived