• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

850s are colder with the early next week shot of arctic air but I'm wondering if today actually ends up colder at the surface. W/WNW winds look like the dominant flow and they are heavily moderated by the Lakes for Toronto. In contrast, today's N/NNE winds are prime cold air drainers.

Totally agree. I think that daytime high temperatures next Tuesday will struggle to go above 0F, despite having a "warmer" morning low temperature than today.

-8F currently in downtown Toronto.

I bottomed out at -24.8 Celsius this morning, the second coldest reading I've ever had at my place in Toronto, after the -26 Celsius I recorded on the morning of January 14, 1999.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-10F at YYZ this morning. Coldest temp in a decade (since the January 2004 cold snap).

YYZ actually hit -11F at the 8:00am reading. Went out to shoot photos last night and nearly had frostbite on my hand, it was painful for a few minutes after I jumped back in my car.

Agree that this morning may be colder than the Monday-Tuesday scenario given the flow direction, but we'll see if the skies clear up earlier in the evening (didn't clear fully until after midnight last night). Wind also took quite a while to die down last night. Possible the models are underdoing the cold again. Fresh dumping of snow may help as well. Only one way to find out. Either way I'm enjoying this bitter cold, love extremes! 

Had fun with the kids this morning doing some science with the cold.  I tossed a cup of boiling water in the air and created our own cloud. 

I'm an 'adult' and I still do that for fun during these cold outbreaks!

Wonderful science in that.  Will be doing the same with my physical science students today

That's awesome. Great way to take advantage of the weather and make class more fun taboot!

Wonderful science in that.  Will be doing the same with my physical science students today

I love to throw the cup and try to get it so not even a drop of water hits the ground easier to do the colder it is.  Plus I love the sound it make once it is that cold too.

Back at Mich Tech in the 1994 cold it was near -40 and we did it with large soup pan of boiling water.  We created one heck of a cloud.

YYZ actually hit -11F at the 8:00am reading. Went out to shoot photos last night and nearly had frostbite on my hand, it was painful for a few minutes after I jumped back in my car.

Agree that this morning may be colder than the Monday-Tuesday scenario given the flow direction, but we'll see if the skies clear up earlier in the evening (didn't clear fully until after midnight last night). Wind also took quite a while to die down last night. Possible the models are underdoing the cold again. Fresh dumping of snow may help as well. Only one way to find out. Either way I'm enjoying this bitter cold, love extremes! 

We don't see intrahour data but it may have ended up being colder today than in January 2004. 

Milwaukee put out the wind chill warning.  It has only just occurred to me how rare a high of -15 is around here!  Hopefully people take it seriously.

Just noticed the winter weather advisory for blowing snow too.

Not too up on my biology. So those temps will kill even dormant trees? Impressive coTd

The trees should live, its the flower blossoms that will be killed.  There will also be branches that get killed off (i've seen it happen before with peaches).  Hybrid plums, apples are very hardy...some apples can handle -50F...hybrid plums can handle close to that as can sour cherries.  The iffy ones will be the sweet cherries (i have 3 older ones) and apricots (2 of them)...the trees will live, but the flower buds/some branches may be damaged.  I also have some Japanese plums that i think are toast and a nectarine tree that will probably be killed back to the roots.  

Not too up on my biology. So those temps will kill even dormant trees? Impressive cold.

Temperate zone trees should be just fine at those temps.  If you have some trees that don't belong in this area they may not do well.  Even most fruit trees should be OK being it is January.  Getting this kind of cold after a decent thaw say in March and then I would be more concerned as the tree sap would be moving to the buds.

The trees should live, its the flower blossoms that will be killed.  There will also be branches that get killed off (i've seen it happen before with peaches).  Hybrid plums, apples are very hardy...some apples can handle -50F...hybrid plums can handle close to that as can sour cherries.  The iffy ones will be the sweet cherries (i have 3 older ones) and apricots (2 of them)...the trees will live, but the flower buds/some branches may be damaged.  I also have some Japanese plums that i think are toast and a nectarine tree that will probably be killed back to the roots.  

Yeah you have a couple trees that don't belong ... they will not like it ...

The Sweet Cherries should be OK being the sap is not moving to the buds yet.  Apricots I don't know as I don't have experience there.

Temperate zone trees should be just fine at those temps.  If you have some trees that don't belong in this area they may not do well.  Even most fruit trees should be OK being it is January.  Getting this kind of cold after a decent thaw say in March and then I would be more concerned as the tree sap would be moving to the buds.

Yeah, I have a lot of shrubs and plants that are borderline for this area. Typically I'm in zone 6b with temperatures getting down to between 0 to -5 at the lowest, and this upcoming extreme cold episode might kill off some of the more tender things. Deep snowcover may be the only saving grace, but some of the Azalea/Rhododendrons might lose their flowers for this year. :violin:

Archived