Newest Member
    joxey
Predict/Guess the Number of Tornadoes and the First High Risk of 2014

andyhb

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It's early in the game, but Sarurday and/or Sunday could go high risk based on the current model forecast output.

I think Saturday may get a High Risk, but not solely based on tornadoes, but also on wind / hail parameters. Sunday increasingly, to my eye, looks to have problems with low-level veering (relative weakening of the southernmost low over OK / KS on the 18Z vs. the 12Z GFS), the northward dislocation of the best upper-level support from the best thermodynamics, and the not-as-perpendicular-to-the-dryline deep-layer shear. There are simply too many unknowns for Sunday. Saturday gets more and more impressive but the tornado threat might be localized due to mesoscale factors. I'm still skeptical that multiple significant tornado families will evolve on Saturday, so the High Risk would likely come from wind / hail.

I think Saturday may get a High Risk, but not solely based on tornadoes, but also on wind / hail parameters. Sunday increasingly, to my eye, looks to have problems with low-level veering (relative weakening of the southernmost low over OK / KS on the 18Z vs. the 12Z GFS), the northward dislocation of the best upper-level support from the best thermodynamics, and the not-as-perpendicular-to-the-dryline deep-layer shear. There are simply too many unknowns for Sunday. Saturday gets more and more impressive but the tornado threat might be localized due to mesoscale factors. I'm still skeptical that multiple significant tornado families will evolve on Saturday, so the High Risk would likely come from wind / hail.

Way, way too early to be ruling out any of these days, c'mon now.

You can't get a high risk from hail, and this isn't a high wind setup. If any HR happens from Sat-Mon it will be from tornadoes, plain and simple.

You can't get a high risk from hail, and this isn't a high wind setup. If any HR happens from Sat-Mon it will be from tornadoes, plain and simple.

Absolutely.

It's all pointless speculation, but IMHO the greatest probability of getting it with this system is easily Sunday. You have to keep in mind that coverage is a big factor. The ceiling for total impacts is higher Sunday, even if Saturday is a "nicer" setup in some ways.

Here's another... One of the few years with no tor deaths this late in the year.

1016951_612811155481093_6495834302929462

The lack of activity has been frustrating, but it sure is nice to see that particular stat.

Both 1900 and 1915 were extremely slow years except for a few isolated high-impact events.

I can confirm that is Joplin.

*Image*

I hear during these severe events that too much crowding of storms/convection near a supercell will rob energy or disturb the inflow channels to it which weaken either the cell or the tornado that might try to form or has formed...here there are a lot of storms around an EF5 tornado and it didn't seem to do anything. Does it have to be other supercells?

My prediction for the first High Risk is long busted and looks like the same will be the case for numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously leaning under at this point. Our late April activity gave us a nice uptick in numbers, but with us being still so far down and the next two-ish weeks looking the way they are, It's going to take one active end of May/June on top of an above average fall season and a tropical cyclone landfall or two for us to get around 1000 at this point.

I'll say under, given that tropical activity has a good chance of being anemic this year, it's looking pretty likely that we're heading for the third straight sub-1000 year in a row considering the deficit so far, somewhat like the late 1980s, although we've had more notable events in this stretch than then.

Just another thing regarding 2011 vs. 2004 in terms of numbers of tornadoes, 2011 is clearly the more active year from a mid-latitude cyclone perspective, considering the sheer number of TC related tornadoes in 2004 with Frances and Ivan each producing over 100 alone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Preliminary numbers for July also outpaced the last few years. August is off to a near record low start. Dating back to 2000, on pace for the least amount of August tornadoes this year. (A grand finale on Sunday could bring them out of the bottom spot with 15 tornadoes, but those are just preliminary numbers and may not be 100% accurate)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived