• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Snowfall maps

HoarfrostHubb

Will (or anyone), do you happen to have some snowfall numbers for Jan 13, 2002 for the GYX CWA?

Thanks!

I'm not sure they were that impressive. The storm was supposed to be better IIRC, even up there. Did you try the archive site? They should have it if its 2002.

The GYX PNS online archive begins in Nov '02

I'm sure Mike could get his hands on something.

No, the NWS products archive. You can get any office back to 2001 I think.

I just grabbed the GYX pns from there:

PNSGYX
MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-140100-
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
900 PM EST SUN JAN 13 2002
THE FOLLOWING OBSERVATIONS WERE COLLECTED FROM TRAINED WEATHER
SPOTTERS, HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS, EMERGENCY MANAGERS, AND THE
MEDIA. THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
OBSERVATIONS.
...MAINE...
...ANDROSCOGGIN...
AUBURN                  3.5  INCHES      2 PM
LISBON FALLS            3.5  INCHES      8 PM
LEWISTON                3.0  INCHES      6 PM
...CUMBERLAND...
GRAY (NWS)              4.1  INCHES      5 PM
GORHAM                  3.5  INCHES      4 PM
BRIDGTON                7.2  INCHES      6 PM
RAYMOND                 5.0  INCHES      7 PM
CAPE ELIZABETH          3.0  INCHES      4 PM
SOUTH CASCO             3.0  INCHES      3 PM
YARMOUTH                2.5  INCHES      6 PM
WESTBROOK               2.0  INCHES      8 PM
SOUTH WINDHAM           1.8  INCHES      5 PM
NORTH SEBAGO            1.5  INCHES      9 PM
PORTLAND (DEERING CNTR) 1.0  INCH        5 PM
PORTLAND (FAIRCHILD)   0.75  INCH        5 PM
SOUTH PORTLAND         0.75  INCH        1 PM
...FRANKLIN...
WILTON                  5.3  INCHES      5 PM
EUSTIS                  5.2  INCHES      3 PM
PHILLIPS                4.0  INCHES      1 PM
JAY                     3.0  INCHES      3 PM
...KENNEBEC...
ALBION                  9.5  INCHES      8 PM
AUGUSTA                 5.0  INCHES      9 PM
LITCHFIELD              3.5  INCHES      7 PM
...KNOX...
ROCKPORT                2.0  INCHES      4 PM
...LINCOLN...
BOOTHBAY                3.0  INCHES      5 PM
BOOTHBAY HARBOR         2.5  INCHES      3 PM
...OXFORD...
HARTFORD                6.9  INCHES      4 PM
WATERFORD               6.0  INCHES      7 PM
...SAGADAHOC...
NO REPORTS
...SOMERSET...
JACKMAN                 3.4  INCHES      NOON
...WALDO...
NO REPORTS
...YORK...
CORNISH                 6.2  INCHES      4 PM
HOLLIS                  3.0  INCHES      8 PM
...NEW HAMPSHIRE...
...BELKNAP...
ALTON BAY               7.0  INCHES      4 PM
SANBORNTON              7.0  INCHES      3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
ALTON                   6.0  INCHES      4 PM
GILFORD                 6.0  INCHES      3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
CENTER HARBOR           5.0  INCHES      1 PM
GILFORD                 5.0  INCHES      4 PM  SPOTTER
LACONIA                 6.0  INCHES      6 PM
MERIDITH                2.5  INCHES     10 AM
...CARROLL...
CONWAY                  6.0  INCHES      3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
WOLFEBORO              5.75  INCHES      3 PM
MADISON                 4.5  INCHES      3 PM
JACKMAN                 3.0  INCHES      7 PM
NORTH CONWAY            2.5  INCHES     11 AM
CRAWFORD NOTCH          1.5  INCHES     11 AM  NHDOT REPORT
...COOS...
GORHAM                  5.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
LANCASTER               5.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
TWIN MOUNTAIN           5.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
PINKHAM NOTCH           1.0 INCHES      11 AM  NHDOT REPORT
...GRAFTON...
KANCAMAGUS HIGHWAY      5.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
LOST RIVER              5.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
ALEXANDRIA              4.0 INCHES       4 PM
ENFIELD                 4.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
...MERRIMACK...
SUTTON                  4.5 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
CANTERBURY              4.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
HENNIKER                3.0 INCHES       5 PM
HOOKSETT                3.5 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
NEW LONDON              3.0 INCHES      11 AM
CONCORD                 2.5 INCHES       4 PM
...ROCKINGHAM...
DEERFIELD               8.0 INCHES       4 PM
EAST DERRY              3.5 INCHES       4 PM
HAMPTON                 2.0 INCHES       2 PM
NORTH HAMPTON           2.0 INCHES       NOON
SALEM                   2.0 INCHES       3 PM  NHDOT REPORT
SEABROOK                2.0 INCHES       2 PM
...STRAFFORD...
ROCHESTER              1.75 INCHES       5 PM
...SULLIVAN...
NEWPORT                 6.5 INCHES       4 PM
EAST LEMPSTER           5.0 INCHES       NOON
LEMPSTER                5.0 INCHES       1 PM
WASHINGTON              5.0 INCHES       NOON
SUNAPEE                 4.5 INCHES       3 PM
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WOULD LIKE TO THANK WEATHER SPOTTERS...
COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...AND LAW
ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES FOR THEIR VALUABLE AND TIMELY SNOWFALL REPORTS.

As I guessed, it really wasn't that great. I remember it being a disappointment. It kind of bombed and then slid E a little quicker than thought.

I forgot about that. I was using... http://www.erh.noaa....er/gyx/pns.html

Yeah normally if I'm just looking up BOX, I'll use their archive since it goes back to 1997....and GYX goes back decently too. However even BOX doesn't have all events listed. I used the general product finder to help correct some of the ORH snow (like October 2002 conversion to 3.0" from 1.0" that wasnt on the BOX site) that occurred in smaller events in which they didn't bother to save the PNS.

And its obviously great for getting old AFDs.

• 4 months later...

Boy do those CT valleys get screwed.

It was particularly bad in '09-'10. '07-'08 wasn't too bad, it looks a little worse on my map than it is because I used an erroneous total from weatherwiz that year (he didn't count any snow that had sleet tainted in his totals for some reason)...I corrected it on the hard copy, but that's on my PC, I just pasted that one from eastern.

But they've def had a bit of a cruddy run compared to the rest of the region the last few years, but this year's map should fix a lot of that. Also the '05-'06 map is pretty good there, but I only have that year about half done.

It was particularly bad in '09-'10. '07-'08 wasn't too bad, it looks a little worse on my map than it is because I used an erroneous total from weatherwiz that year (he didn't count any snow that had sleet tainted in his totals for some reason)...I corrected it on the hard copy, but that's on my PC, I just pasted that one from eastern.

But they've def had a bit of a cruddy run compared to the rest of the region the last few years, but this year's map should fix a lot of that. Also the '05-'06 map is pretty good there, but I only have that year about half done.

Well I'm glad you corrected it, but I explained to you why I did that. I just made a mistake, you can see from the other years I'm pretty damn close to BDL so it's just that one year I made a mistake.

I see you're doing the NYC region now more carefully: feel free to use my 10-11 measurement of 69.5", as I was here in Dobbs Ferry for all the snow events this season and measured using the official techniques...Boxing Day was the only event that was really difficult to measure with the 60mph winds, but I did the best average possible and got 13"...I'm sure I'm a little higher than some stations in Southern Westchester although elevation didn't matter as much this year since all the main storms were cold whereas the 2/25 Snowicane last year was highly elevation dependent.

I see you're doing the NYC region now more carefully: feel free to use my 10-11 measurement of 69.5", as I was here in Dobbs Ferry for all the snow events this season and measured using the official techniques...Boxing Day was the only event that was really difficult to measure with the 60mph winds, but I did the best average possible and got 13"...I'm sure I'm a little higher than some stations in Southern Westchester although elevation didn't matter as much this year since all the main storms were cold whereas the 2/25 Snowicane last year was highly elevation dependent.

Dobbs Ferry coop is usually pretty good. Their elevation is 240 feet FWIW. But I use a lot of people's totals. I won't remember yours though, I'll start a thread when I'm ready to do the map.

We had a very good year, especially considering that december, march, and april totaled 6"!

66" +- a couple on the valley floor. Well above average. Sure beats the <30" from last year

Dobbs Ferry coop is usually pretty good. Their elevation is 240 feet FWIW. But I use a lot of people's totals. I won't remember yours though, I'll start a thread when I'm ready to do the map.

Yeah they used to be very good but I've had trouble with some of their recent measurements.

They measured 3.1" on 1/18 this year, I believe, when I had 1.5". That was really a minor event here, no idea how anyone got that much.

They also only measured 18" in the 2/25/10 Snowicane compared to my 26", but I noticed that elevation and being outside the heat island downtown helped in that storm, as it was probably like 34F most of the day downtown and 33F here, making it easier to accumulate.

I believe they also measured a little less in 2/21 this year, I had 8" but I think most Westchester spotters were around 7". Not a big difference though, and could be explicable by banding patterns.

Archived