• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe weather and tornado threat 12/21-22

Spans a couple of regions so posted here.

This is beginning to look like we may have another chance at a few strong tornadoes in the Mid-South/lower MS Valley Saturday as the old CA upper low ejects with a negative tilt which will bring some very strong low- mid-level wind fields into the area which should have more than enough moisture. I expect a MOD risk day with at least several tornadoes perhaps with individual supercells and/or imbedded line segments.

post-357-0-59622200-1387486531_thumb.gif

I was waiting for someone to mention the possibility of strong tornadoes, my question would be the degree of surface instability given the SST's in the NW Gulf of Mexico.

There are 65-70˚+ dewpoints projected across a large portion of the south ahead of this system, with low level flow not just from the Gulf, but deep in the Caribbean as well. This event does have significant potential, with a pre-frontal trough being shown by many models. This may initiate discrete convection well in advance of the cold front across the Arklamiss and perhaps moving into AL with time.

Just looking at some GFS soundings locally (SETX) around 18Z Saturday, about action time locally per GFS, besides a warm nose around 700 mb that has to be overcome, the best speed and directional shear are surface to 850 mb, where the poorest lapse rates are.  So I'm thinking at least in SETX that would tend to limit the tornado threat.  One thing in favor of tornadoes, LCLs will be below 900 mb.

OTOH, NETX, around GGG, the cap looks much more breakable, and the lapse rates near surface are't as poor as SETX,   At least per 18Z NAM.  18Z GFS forecast sounding, not as impressive, at least partly because winds already shifting from SSE to SW.

I assume NAM will trend towards somewhat quicker Euro/GFS guidance as we get closer, but there are still differences.  Still using GFS at this point, and if the cap can break, while I have concerns about low level lapse rates, 850 mb winds  40-50 knots and strong bulk shear 0-6 km, we could have quite a show locally.

18Z GFS has some decent LI for December.

GFS_3_2013121918_F45_LFTX_SURFACE.png

GFS_3_2013121918_F45_SHRM_500_MB.png

So much potential with this one, but things just might not hook up right in SETX. With a faster surface low, there's not going to be much time to break the cap prior to fropa Saturday around midday or so, and by then, veer-backing will probably be prevalent. Still looks like things could get interesting around here, but it looks like a lot will end up being left on the table with potential to be so much more...

So it looks like I have the choice to chase in either darkness or in trees. Even before taking storm mode into consideration, I think I might pass on this one. And I had so much hope for this one too...

day1probotlk_1300_torn.gif

LATER TNGT AND...ESPECIALLY...EARLY SAT...APPRECIABLE /ON THE ORDER
OF 60 M/ HEIGHT FALLS WILL BEGIN TO OVER SPREAD S CNTRL TX AS THE
BAJA SYSTEM APPROACHES THE REGION. COUPLED WITH AN ASSOCIATED
STRENGTHENING OF SSWLY 850 MB FLOW /SPEEDS INCREASING TO AOA 65 KTS/
AND PERSISTENT MOISTENING...SETUP SHOULD SUPPORT A FAIRLY WIDESPREAD
BLOSSOMING OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS ALONG AND N OF THE FRONT FROM WRN
AND S CNTRL TX NEWD THROUGH THE ARKLATEX INTO SE MO/SRN IL.

MOST OF THE ELEVATED ACTIVITY SHOULD REMAIN NON-SVR...ALTHOUGH
SUFFICIENT ELEVATED BUOYANCY MAY ARISE FOR MARGINALLY SVR HAIL IN S
CNTRL TX. OF GREATER SVR CONCERN...HOWEVER...WILL BE THE CONDITIONAL
RISK FOR SFC OR NEAR SFC-BASED STORMS ALONG THE IMMEDIATE FRONT...OR
PERHAPS JUST AHEAD OF IT...LATER TNGT AND EARLY SAT FROM S CNTRL TX
NE TO THE ARKLATEX.

GIVEN THE STRENGTH OF THE LLJ...700 MB FLOW INCREASING TO AOA 60
KTS...LIKELY PROGRESSION OF UPR TROUGH...AND SFC DEWPOINTS
APPROACHING 70F OVER WRN PARTS OF THE TX CSTL PLN...SETUP MAY YIELD
A CONDITIONAL RISK FOR SUPERCELL/LEWP CIRCULATIONS CAPABLE OF DMGG
WIND AND/OR TORNADOES. THIS THREAT WOULD BE GREATEST AFTER 09Z...AND
LIKELY WILL PERSIST/SPREAD FARTHER E/NE BEYOND 12Z SAT.

So it looks like I have the choice to chase in either darkness or in trees. Even before taking storm mode into consideration, I think I might pass on this one. And I had so much hope for this one too...

Even if I was in the region, storm motion alone would of cancled my chase for this one. Perhaps doable if your a local and you know your favorite spots and watch it go by.

Still have subtle veer-back profiles in the soundings across the MDT risk area as forecast by the GFS and NAM. Something to watch out for tomorrow.

There's actually a lot less of it with the NAM than there was in previous runs over the main threat area, owing to a stronger SSW-NNE component of the 700 mb jet streak. Also, these storms are going to be racing with the H7 jet streak at 60-80 kts.

Getting things started a day early. TOR on the ground per trained spotters.

TORNADO WARNINGMSC049-210015-/O.NEW.KJAN.TO.W.0073.131220T2324Z-131221T0015Z/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS524 PM CST FRI DEC 20 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN JACKSON HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  NORTHERN HINDS COUNTY IN CENTRAL MISSISSIPPI...* UNTIL 615 PM CST* AT 522 PM CST...A TORNADO WAS INDICATED NEAR EDWARDS...AND MOVING  NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.  HAZARD...TORNADO.* THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...  BOLTON AROUND 540 PM CST.  BROWNSVILLE AROUND 555 PM CST.  POCAHONTAS AROUND 615 PM CST.

Follow-up from Redfield:

0033         Redfield         Jefferson County

AT LEAST FOUR HOMES SUFFERED ROOF DAMAGE ... WITH TREES AND POWER LINES DOWNED. NO INJURIES WERE REPORTED. A BRIEF TORNADO MAY HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE.

No warning was issued for the storm, an SPS appeared at 0036.

From what I viewed seeing it live, a Microburst-type velocity signature

appeared at 0018, and a potentially tornadic scan at 0036.

I'm thinking that mdt risk might need to be expanded quite a bit to the N and E.  It appears increasingly likely that widespread wind damage and both mesovortex and embedded supercell tornadoes are likely at least from the OH River (maybe all the way to I-70) all the way to darn near the Gulf Coast.  And if we do get embedded supercells or some supercells ahead of the main line, there's going to be a very high threat of significant tornadoes with the enormous low-level hodos and instability in place with any of those features.  Hell, some of the QLCS tornadoes are probably going to be EF2 or even EF3 with this kind of shear.  And I'd expect that threat to exist at a pretty high level well through the night and well east of the current mdt risk, likely across much of AL, middle TN, central KY, and even SW OH.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2096
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   0757 AM CST SAT DEC 21 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF E TX...WRN/NRN LA...AND SRN AR

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 211357Z - 211500Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT

SUMMARY...TORNADO WATCH ISSUANCE MAY BE REQUIRED BY 15-17Z FOR PARTS
   OF EAST TX INTO WRN/NRN LA AND SRN AR.

DISCUSSION...LIGHTNING TRENDS THROUGH 1330Z SHOWED TSTMS CONTINUING
   TO DEVELOP FROM NERN TX /NEAR THE COLD FRONT/ AND SSWWD ALONG A
   PRE-FRONTAL CONFLUENCE ZONE TO 45 NNE KVCT.  THIS CONVECTIVE
   EVOLUTION IS LIKELY OCCURRING AS STRONGER HEIGHT FALLS/DEEP LAYER
   ASCENT IS BEGINNING TO SPREAD NEWD FROM CENTRAL TX.  ENVIRONMENT
   ALONG AND E OF THE FRONT/PRE-FRONTAL CONFLUENCE ZONE IS SUFFICIENTLY
   SHEARED TO RESULT IN ORGANIZED STORMS...GIVEN 50-60 KT SLY LLJ.
   HOWEVER...THE STRONGER ASCENT TO SUPPORT STORMS BECOMING ROOTED IN
   THE BOUNDARY LAYER REMAINS WEST OF THE SURFACE FRONT.  AS THIS
   ASCENT MAKES NEWD ADVANCEMENT...SUSTENANCE OF UPDRAFTS IS EXPECTED
   TO BECOME GREATER ESPECIALLY BETWEEN 15-17Z.

..PETERS/CORFIDI.. 12/21/2013

ATTN...WFO...JAN...LZK...LCH...SHV...HGX...

And so we begin.  Not going to be able to chase these storms with speeds like this today.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MEMPHIS TN  1132 AM CST SAT DEC 21 2013    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MEMPHIS HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...    NORTHEASTERN MISSISSIPPI COUNTY IN EASTERN ARKANSAS...    WEST CENTRAL DYER COUNTY IN NORTHWEST TENNESSEE...    SOUTHERN PEMISCOT COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MISSOURI...    WEST CENTRAL LAUDERDALE COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE...    * UNTIL NOON CST    * AT 1132 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A    SEVERE THUNDERSTORM PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH.     THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR KEISER...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 80    MPH.    * LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO    BLYTHEVILLE...GOSNELL...KEISER...LUXORA...OSCEOLA...    CARUTHERSVILLE...DENTON...STEELE...TEMPLES CORNER...BRAGGADOCIO...    SHADE...STUBTOWN...CANADY AND NEW SURVEY.     THIS WARNING ALSO INCLUDES AREAS NEAR BIG LAKE.  

Archived