• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

meatwad

Im gonna be pessimistic and say that we dont see a decent storm this year its either clippers or we are in the wrong place, or the temps are an issue.

That's SWPA climo, nickle and dime our way to 40 inches. Even if you discount the rest of this week, we still have 6 weeks at least that its reasonable to expect wintry weather. Given most long range guidance, at least as of today, has cold in the works for the next several weeks we probably have a higher than average shot still at seeing a bigger storm of 6+. Given all that, one can't deny that statistical odds favor your statement.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, you had a rough start to winter if I remember correctly. While those of us a bit to the North were cashing in, you had rain or missed out. Guess this is mother natures way of evening the score. :snowing:

Yeah..  it feels good.  lol.  Looks to be a couple more chances within the next week for more accumulating snow.

In case anyone's wondering..  we're over 5" here.  So I'm pretty satisfied about that.  Should be shutting down here soon, it seems.

I could care less about the cold....I would like a nice snow fall!..... :weenie:  :snowing:

I want both lol. If I had a choice, id take a 6 inch storm with temps in the 20s and cold afterwards vs a 10 inch storm at 32 then rising to the 40s afterwards.

You can't tell me your not jealous reading the obs threads from other regions with heavy wind driven snow and temps in the teens.. even just a bit.

I'll admit though, I want to see more than these coatings to an inch deals so I can be persuaded otherwise.

Final measure - looks between 4.5" to 5" here.  Although technically I busted on my own prediction, it was nonetheless wise to cut back on amounts from some of the earlier estimates toward 8" (thanks for nothing, GFS).  NAM was the winner, and I noticed that when the NAM is dry it tends to be correct, whereas if it is wetter than the other models, it tends to be very wrong.  Odd how that works.

A week from today has some potential, but if we want something really big, the clippers aren't going to do it.  We need STJ influence and the Gulf to open up, bringing in a true Miller A system with loads of moisture.  Not sure what the prospects are on the STJ getting going this year.

Final measure - looks between 4.5" to 5" here. Although technically I busted on my own prediction, it was nonetheless wise to cut back on amounts from some of the earlier estimates toward 8" (thanks for nothing, GFS). NAM was the winner, and I noticed that when the NAM is dry it tends to be correct, whereas if it is wetter than the other models, it tends to be very wrong. Odd how that works.

A week from today has some potential, but if we want something really big, the clippers aren't going to do it. We need STJ influence and the Gulf to open up, bringing in a true Miller A system with loads of moisture. Not sure what the prospects are on the STJ getting going this year.

all of the mets are thinking feb will start the beginning of the stj being in play.

Yeah.. like I said earlier, it feels good to be on the higher end of things around here for once.  Who knows when that might actually happen again?  Haha.  Guess that's what I get for not coming on here and crying about it all of the time.

I, too, read about the southern jet being back in action in the longer range.  

Quick look at the NAM for this weekend.. winds look to be cranking as the front moves into the area. Could get interesting.

last post for tonight. We could possibly see some blizzard conditions if we get heavy precip. Somewhere idk if it will be us will see some heavy snowfall and blizzard conditions with squalls coming through.

I am gonna post this just for fun. Mondays threat according to the gfs 00z. Wish we could look this in.

C3CA743F-F8DF-4D93-A87D-1A88944D4588_zps

Looks similar to the storm we just had, just a much further North track. I'd lock that in right now for sure, but who knows it could be gone by 12z today, or 300 miles north or south lol. So much variability and uncertainty in anything past 72 hours right now with regards to SLP placements.

Then again, it is going to hit just in time for the morning rush which seems to be the seasonal trend this year, so its a lock! ;)

Final measure - looks between 4.5" to 5" here. Although technically I busted on my own prediction, it was nonetheless wise to cut back on amounts from some of the earlier estimates toward 8" (thanks for nothing, GFS). NAM was the winner, and I noticed that when the NAM is dry it tends to be correct, whereas if it is wetter than the other models, it tends to be very wrong. Odd how that works.

A week from today has some potential, but if we want something really big, the clippers aren't going to do it. We need STJ influence and the Gulf to open up, bringing in a true Miller A system with loads of moisture. Not sure what the prospects are on the STJ getting going this year.

I did see an 8" and a 7.5" out of Morgantown

Archived