joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

meatwad

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to go over to Passavant Hospital in the North Hills for a medical emergency last night and arrived at the Hospital at 10:00. It was just starting to flurry when I went in. I left the hospital at Midnight and there was 3 inches of snow on my car and it was snowing harder than I have seen this year ( at least 1/8 mile visibility or less) . On my 7 mile trip home I saw one other car and almost the entire trip had "zero" tire tracks on the roads. It was one of the worst times to be driving. You couldn't see and tell what lane you were in.  When I pulled in to house the snow was starting to mix and turn to sleet and freezing rain. Must have picked up 4 inches in 2 hours before the changeover. 

Losing confidence in weekend system, at least anything meaningful.  The whole flow looks like it flattens out, definitely not conducive to a prolonged, amplified event.  It's possible the pattern breaks for a week coming into this weekend then re-establishes in time for V-day/President's day.  Little faith in any long-term solutions anymore.  This storm looked great for maybe five days in a row, and now the models have almost completely flipped the look of the upper levels.

I had to go over to Passavant Hospital in the North Hills for a medical emergency last night and arrived at the Hospital at 10:00. It was just starting to flurry when I went in. I left the hospital at Midnight and there was 3 inches of snow on my car and it was snowing harder than I have seen this year ( at least 1/8 mile visibility or less) . On my 7 mile trip home I saw one other car and almost the entire trip had "zero" tire tracks on the roads. It was one of the worst times to be driving. You couldn't see and tell what lane you were in. When I pulled in to house the snow was starting to mix and turn to sleet and freezing rain. Must have picked up 4 inches in 2 hours before the changeover.

Similar experience last night - i was out during most of the actual falling snow, but no plows out yet.

Storm arrived in spectacular fashion like Feb '10. No messing arround waiting for the heavy stuff. Different end result of course

Losing confidence in weekend system, at least anything meaningful.  The whole flow looks like it flattens out, definitely not conducive to a prolonged, amplified event.  It's possible the pattern breaks for a week coming into this weekend then re-establishes in time for V-day/President's day.  Little faith in any long-term solutions anymore.  This storm looked great for maybe five days in a row, and now the models have almost completely flipped the look of the upper levels.

hahaha so you lose faith in a storm that hasn't "Been there" for 2 days BUT you really Have High Hope fo storm over a week away  :axe: STOP Living & Dying Run to Run 

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

1156 AM EST WED FEB 5 2014

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

CHANGES TO THE LONG TERM FORECAST INCLUDED AN UPWARD ADJUSTMENT TO

SUNDAY POPS GIVEN GFS/ECMWF AGRMNT ON PHASING...CROSSING SHRTWV. AS

THIS SOLN LOOSELY CORRELATES WITH PREVIOUS TRENDS...HAVE PROGGED

HIGH END CHC NMBRS WITH LIMITATIONS IMPOSED VIA A NRN LOW TRACK AND

PROGGED MID LVL DRY SURGE.

So looks like a bust on the cold side, the torrential rains and heavy ice never came, this was mostly a snow event for a majority of the Pittsburgh metro area. Maybe a lesson for the Eeyores here so quick to bellyache about .."Oh it always rains here, it always does"

I'm not sure it was the cold that busted so much. The low was forecasted pretty well. We picked up most of our snow in a 2.5, 3 hour window, followed by 3-4 hours of ice. If anything busted it was how heavy the precip was. That certainly helped keep the layers cool enough to keep us all snow a little longer than expected. 

I'm not sure it was the cold that busted so much. The low was forecasted pretty well. We picked up most of our snow in a 2.5, 3 hour window, followed by 3-4 hours of ice. If anything busted it was how heavy the precip was. That certainly helped keep the layers cool enough to keep us all snow a little longer than expected. 

NOPE!! NWS had just changed my forecast to brief period of Sleet & Freezing Rain to all rain & Possible heavy Rain as it was starting to dump snow 

I'll give till the 00z runs tonight, but I think the weekend storm is likely not going to materialize. Henry is still hyping it, but he always does this and then blames the models if they dissappear... Same with jb.

i kind of agree but all it takes is the s/w to dig deeper than the models are showing and the east coast gets a big storm. We shall see, it seems like the good storms are the ones that dont show up till 2 days before.

yea Im gonna take a break until tomorrow night or friday morning....I almost guarantee its going to show something for the weekend....even if only 3-6".....

Same here, probably check the models once per day for 12z runs and see if anything is moving in the right direction.

Could be another storm mid week next week too, right now its a bit to far south, but at 7-8 days out maybe things can work out for it.

Still not sure what to make of the weekend storm. Too early to just dismiss it given how storms have popped up or changed dramatically in relatively short lead times this year. No reason to think that won't continue, of course it could end up completely missing too. Would love to see those amped and phased solutions (so long is it doesn't turn into a cutter) again but a 2-4 or even 3-6 would be nice.

So just want to say that I hate TWC. someone I work with came up to me and showed me an article on their site. Of course it read, "A mega blizzard this weekend?" The article was about how that control run map was showing huge amounts of snow. It wasn't a bad article but that headline is gonna mislead a lot of common folk.

So just want to say that I hate TWC. someone I work with came up to me and showed me an article on their site. Of course it read, "A mega blizzard this weekend?" The article was about how that control run map was showing huge amounts of snow. It wasn't a bad article but that headline is gonna mislead a lot of common folk.

It's a sensationalist headline to drive traffic, pretty much all media is guilty of this.  TWC does it all the time.  I've noticed the control maps and the Weather Bell maps can all be ignored; for whatever reason the snow outputs on those are way overdone.

Archived