Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some people are afraid to post sometimes for whatever reason. I further think the lack of anything concrete to track isn't doing any favors for activity.

Also, this is a very new forum to cover this particular area. I think that over time it will build up and that if we can get something consistent to track, it will also help.

I think some people are afraid to post sometimes for whatever reason. I further think the lack of anything concrete to track isn't doing any favors for activity.

Also, this is a very new forum to cover this particular area. I think that over time it will build up and that if we can get something consistent to track, it will also help.

When i post i post what i see.I understand where people. are scared to post what they think they see and isn't right,but this is how you learn.Heck i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and dont have a degree in weather,but i learned from other peeps

Excellent points...I might also add that many are meaured in what they say, and that is not a bad thing. Some days I read more and post less. We have several folks posting who have not posted before and many are now posting who have not in a while. It is possible to put too much clutter in a thread and make it next to unreadable. I try, usually, to post big sections of text instead of quick blurbs. Always enjoy reading your posts BTW.

I'm just glad we aren't having a rash of "winter cancel" then arguing about that type posts. If we are going to have them, I hope they happen in this thread and not in the pattern thread.

oxHTX02.jpg

Avoiding whining and drama would be refreshing, and I believe this crew is capable of that. 

I think the sub-forum is off to a great start.  Especially considering we've not had any thing solid to track and also it being late December.  I know that I personally have not had much time to study the weather or post on forums during the holidays.  Those of you that have been keeping up with the model runs and posting your thoughts I salute you.  I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating the dialog on the roller coaster runs.  All it will take is one good event to track with snow threatening inside of 3 days and this place will explode with new members, lurkers coming out of the wood work, and lots of chatter.  I've seen it happen before with new forums. 

Again, thanks to all that have been contributing.  I believe we will get in on some frozen action soon and climo has my back!

Holy heck at the models. They are nigh on to unbelievable. But keep in mind, this kind of stuff can happen in the Tennessee Valley. -10 degree cold happens. Big snow events happen. We've just not saw it enough lately to justify thinking it could actually take place. But if it does, holy goodness, we'll remember this forever. I still clearly remember 1985. Sheets of ice on the sides of houses. Icicles that hung from the second floor to the ground. Icicles in the bright sun January 20th, that weren't even dripping.The air, filled with ice crystals, taking a sledge to bust ice out of the pond for the cows. It was 6-8 inches thick by Jan 22nd. 

This may not happen, it probably won't...but it's possible.

Holy heck at the models. They are nigh on to unbelievable. But keep in mind, this kind of stuff can happen in the Tennessee Valley. -10 degree cold happens. Big snow events happen. We've just not saw it enough lately to justify thinking it could actually take place. But if it does, holy goodness, we'll remember this forever. I still clearly remember 1985. Sheets of ice on the sides of houses. Icicles that hung from the second floor to the ground. Icicles in the bright sun January 20th, that weren't even dripping.The air, filled with ice crystals, taking a sledge to bust ice out of the pond for the cows. It was 6-8 inches thick by Jan 22nd. 

This may not happen, it probably won't...but it's possible.

This cold shown on the Euro isn't likely to happen.  Even the ensembles are mostly north with the PV.  Still fun to look at though and history WILL repeat itself at some point.  Either way this cold looks to be in and out without a -NAO to hold it in.  We are going to need great timing, hopefully someone can score once or twice!

Well, 0z Euro will be interesting to say the least.  Will the roller coaster theme continue and our hopes get dashed as usual or will it show historic pipe bursting cold for another run to tease us?  This is night three of the 4 night Phish concert in NYC and the wife and I are live streaming it.  So, I'll probably be up for my first late night Euro run of the season.  Hopefully the ol' Doc is on to something!

This cold shown on the Euro isn't likely to happen.  Even the ensembles are mostly north with the PV.  Still fun to look at though and history WILL repeat itself at some point.  Either way this cold looks to be in and out without a -NAO to hold it in.  We are going to need great timing, hopefully someone can score once or twice!

Yeah, I'm sure the cold wouldn't be as intense as the Euro shows but just to think that you could add 20 degrees to that run and it would still be colder than many have seen in quite a while! 

I mentioned the '85 outbreak on another forum and how I remembered the pipes freezing and my mom going under the house (she looked like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man) with the hair dryer trying to thaw them out.  It was so cold the extension cord she was using froze and broke into pieces.   I think we got down to like -22 in Cookeville.   You don't see that every day..

I have to temper my love for extreme weather as an insurance agency owner. Part of our revenue includes profit sharing with various carriers. If we have pipes busting all over town or heavy snow causing trees to fall on homes it KILLS any chance for being profitable. it can literally take 40-60,000 out of your pocket in the blink of an eye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to temper my love for extreme weather as an insurance agency owner. Part of our revenue includes profit sharing with various carriers. If we have pipes busting all over town or heavy snow causing trees to fall on homes it KILLS any chance for being profitable. it can literally take 40-60,000 out of your pocket in the blink of an eye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you nut. I'm sure it only takes one heavy snow, one artic freeze or one episode of straight line winds to eat into your profits in a serious manner!

Of course, working outside I temper my love for extreme weather as well. The longer I'm in this profession, the tougher it is to take 8 hour days in extreme heat/cold. But I would love to see this develop, nonetheless. I remember vividly that cold during 1985. I was a youngin' of 21 and had been married a year. I was going to school during the day and working graveyard at night at a local department store stripping floors. I draped a quilt over the engine of my '69 Mustang trying to keep it from getting too cold while it sat all night in a parking lot and didn't think there was any hope it would fire the next morning. She turned over slow then fired up, much to my surprise! Wow...that sounds like a "walking to school 3 miles uphill each way" story, huh?

I would also love to see a significant measurable snow (c'mon clown map! LOL) in our area. My daughter was 10 months old during the last big one (which was actually two big ones during a few day stretch in January of 1996). It's a shame that my kids who are 18 and 16 haven't seen much over 4" of snow in their lifetimes. At this point anything 3+ inches IMBY is huge. Pulling for everyone in the TN Valley on this one! Even if it misses the KTRI area, I hope everyone else gets hammered! In a good way, of course...

Back in the groove now.  One of my parents had to have some same day cardiac work done.  I would say routine, but it is only routine....unless it is you.  Anyway, things are looking up.  Great wx disco today.  Keep it up.  kvskelton, great to see you posting.  WxSouth had a good update on FB just after dinner. 

The 12z Euro wunderground snow maps are a thing of beauty for the TN valley.  I'm too lazy to screen cap all the 6 hour increments together but it looks NICE!  Yeah yeah I'm being a weenie this far out but it's been a great day for clown maps and we've not had that in a while so....

kKE7hm6.gif

MRX has finally bit and it's less than 72 hours til it could be starting, I think it reasonable to start a thread for the potential light accumulating snow for basically all of Tennessee, Southern Kentucky, and far N. Alabama.

To me, the sudden emergence of all these threads leaves things a bit cluttered.

BNA said no to the extreme cold, and a half inch N I-40,rest in rn/sn mix for the 1st system

Archived