joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the wunderground radar, that band you talk about looks like its headed right for us in the LSV.

Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but I've learned to never get too exited about downstream radar returns. Just because it looks like it's going to hit doesn't mean it will. More often than not (for me anyway) those promising bands nearly always seem to fall apart before they reach my location.

Reports closing in on 5" in central WV. Elkins now has heavy snow.

Impressive. 

Also impressive is the HRRR's depiction of accumulated snowfall. Anywhere between a coating and up to 6-8" near the Mason-Dixon line, according to this. I do find the HRRR snowfall forecast to be overdone many times...but cutting these amounts in half is not unrealistic.

post-5336-0-04345000-1386511674_thumb.jp

Southern strip of counties good luck fellas, this could be a very nice snowfall! UNV, IPT, SEG may be a smidge too far north looking at radar trends, but we had a nice little event Friday anyway!!

Yeah, I'm not expecting much more than an inch here. The Euro and GFS seem to be in good agreement with that scenerio and the current radar picture. The 06z and now the 12z NAM seem way too high with QPF. That model is just too unreliable to take seriously.

I can't believe how many times I'm "on the edge" here in Tamaqua as far as winter storms are concerned. I suppose 1-2 inches (possible) isn't TOO bad, but still...

Oh well, going to have an interesting afternoon as we are going to the 3:00PM TSO show in Hershey. It might be a fun drive back home this evening.

FYI we went from two snowflakes to a half inch in about 20 minutes.

EDIT:  Location is New Windsor in Carroll County.  Band is working to your locations.

Seeing the Mid-Atlantic forum with their pictures is pretty amazing. Solid accumulating dendrites from BWI northward to the M-D line. Hoping that band can jog 50 miles northward!

Archived