northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Thanksgiving Week Nor'easter Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 850 clears NW areas at 150 and by 156 it's over eastern LI. I never said anything about the surface, however by 156 it's clearing KMMU.

ECMWF_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f156.png?138505866

That .10 had fallen by hr 156 and after that we don't get much, Their is not decent backend snow on those maps. Also don't post paid maps

The Euro matches up well with most of the ensemble guidance. As soon as it phased the two streams I knew it was going to come up the coast.

I can't see the new Euro run coming out but there is likely interaction between the streams, but not a full phase. If there was a real phase, the storm would blow up much quicker and more cold air would be available on the west side for snow. Looking at the GFS and Canadian, the southern stream vort gets out ahead of the northern stream, which does not dive down to catch it. There is enough of a ridge east of the southern stream that the storm rides up the coast, but it overall looks strung out and there is no precip in the cold air. A phased storm wouldn't look that way.

It's not a clean phase though, which is why we aren't seeing more cold air with this system. Perhaps we'll see more aggressive phasing where we could wrap some more cold air into it, though we still don't have full agreement with the models on this. 

I hope this system happens because it would mark a huge change from the dry weather pattern we've been experiencing and it would be a good omen for the upcoming winter.

It's not a clean phase though, which is why we aren't seeing more cold air with this system. Perhaps we'll see more aggressive phasing where we could wrap some more cold air into it, though we still don't have full agreement with the models on this. 

I hope this system happens because it would mark a huge change from the dry weather pattern we've been experiencing and it would be a good omen for the upcoming winter.

I just saw the charts for the Euro run at 12z, and the phase doesn't take place until the storm is gone, into Canada. You can see at that point that the low wraps up into a comma shape and there's a significant CCB precip band. For us, we get a strung out low and rain because the streams are still separate at that point. Maybe there's a chance a phase can happen sooner, but there's no mechanism to make the northern stream dive in (a block). Therefore, the low for us is southern stream based and rides up the coast because of the ridge east of it.

If anything, this has to be the game changer. Last time we have seen high amounts of precip like this was back in June and it happened after a dry spell.

Yes, after looking closer, the phase never really occurs until the low is passed us. I like the trends today and lets hope for a quicker cleaner phase as we get closer. This is still a day 5-6 threat.

Yes, after looking closer, the phase never really occurs until the low is passed us. I like the trends today and lets hope for a quicker cleaner phase as we get closer. This is still a day 5-6 threat.

I thought you said you knew it was coming up the coast when you viewed the phase?

I can't see the new Euro run coming out but there is likely interaction between the streams, but not a full phase. If there was a real phase, the storm would blow up much quicker and more cold air would be available on the west side for snow. Looking at the GFS and Canadian, the southern stream vort gets out ahead of the northern stream, which does not dive down to catch it. There is enough of a ridge east of the southern stream that the storm rides up the coast, but it overall looks strung out and there is no precip in the cold air. A phased storm wouldn't look that way.

Right, there is not enough blocking for a full phase...plus that ridge out west even flattens a bit. A full phase would've actually drawn the cold air into the system; instead some energy gets drawn into the system allowing it to pump up heights and turn northward, but the cold air remains well to the west. It's a partial phase. 

Hopefully this can be a drought-denter with some good rains if the ridge is strong enough to force a close to the coast track, but I see little hope for much snow anywhere unless the northern stream can come in quicker and phase sooner. A strung out low and strung out precip won't be fun for pretty much anybody. And as many have mentioned, there's no mechanism to force a quicker phase since we still have a very progressive pattern and +NAO. Notice behind the system the quick cold shot but then 1-2 days later there's already a big ridge about to build in, while the NAO is uncooperative as ever. A pattern like this won't yield us any kind of big winter storm unless we luck out extremely well.

Archived