amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Thanksgiving Week Nor'easter Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At hour 168 you have a ridge out west centered just east of Idaho which is pretty ideal. You also have a northern stream low that blew up and is sitting in the 50/50 position. Low sitting over the FL Panhandle.

The progressive pattern that we have been in, still favors the 12Z GFS outcome. Of all the possible solutions, I still believe that this one has the highest likelihood of verifying. We shall see.

WX/PT

The progressive pattern that we have been in, still favors the 12Z GFS outcome. Of all the possible solutions, I still believe that this one has the highest likelihood of verifying. We shall see.

WX/PT

I don't know about the double low solution it shows, but yes progressive is more likely than wrapped up/phased.

A little bit of blocking would do wonders with this. The cold air doesn't look like it would be a huge problem for snow away from the immediate coast.

WX/PT

The overall evolution of the GFS is starting to look more and more like a classic miller A setup. Of course sometimes those miss us to the south if everything isn't perfectly timed.

The 12z GEFS mean has a much better phase than the OP. The northern stream is slower and the southern stream is a bit faster.

The phase is much cleaner than the op and for now that's all we can hope for.

I don't think it's correct to describe a model mean solution the same way as an operational run.  Maybe we could say the GEFS mean suggests there are several ensemble members with a good phase.  The mean solution doesn't use mathematical models and equations to compute the outcome.  It just averages a family of member solutions.  So it can't phase.  Even if the mean solution looks like a phased contour plot, it's still just an average and not a discrete solution.

The pattern is fine for phasing as long as that northern stream doesn't out run the southern stream.

There's nothing to slow down the pattern and force the trough to dig and grab the southern stream disturbance. There's a ridge in the West, but the flow is flatter to the east and it's a neutral NAO at best. This allows the northern stream disturbance to zoom east and flatten the southern stream disturbance, causing everything to shear out to sea. Not saying that's going to happen but it certainly could happen.

Eventually there will be a storm, it's late November..... I would take the fact that there is going to be cold and run with that at this point. It's not going to be dry all winter. I'm actually happier seeing cold at this point.

Man the euro is frigid for t day. Those are low 20s for highs in interior New England

Archived