northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Thanksgiving Week Nor'easter Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Thanksgiving looks chilly. I don't remember a Thanksgiving in the 30s for years.

last year was a torch.   I remember being outside with no coat.   With the dry weather, we may have back to back months here with less than .50 inch of precip.  Simply amazing for the time of the year.

The gfs shows a cold T-day and Black Friday. Anyone planning on waiting hours in line Thursday night or Friday morning better bundle up as lows could be in the teens in spots. I can't remember the last time teens were forecast for November, that's very cold even for January. 

Not that I ever do it, but those days are pretty much over with stores opening Thanksgiving PM instead of early Friday AM-not to mention you can get the same deals online without ever leaving your living room.

Thanks for your observations everyone. I don't know whether this is the best place to ask. Apologies if the question is lame. Amateurish of amateur here.

But how the rain/snow line is determined? Or how do we know from the model maps that precipitation is rain or snow ? Is it based on the 0 line in the 500mb map?  All I understood from these forum was that it is not a single factor which determines that. Water temperature in Atlantic, surface temp or even just being Oct or Nov has been some reasons I've seen.

For example, in this model run for this storm ( http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conusncep.php?run=2013112018&var=PCPPRSTMP_850mb&hour=177 ), how do I know that the 0.1in precipitation is going to be snow or rain over central NJ?

Please delete/move it to a different if not appropriate here. Thanks.

You need to look at temperatures at different levels.  Surface, 925 mb, 850 mb, even 700 mb in some cases.  Warm layers can prevent precipitation from being snow all the way up to that level.

If its above freezing at a higher level, but then below freezing near the ground, you could get sleet or freezing rain.

Soundings are really the best tool if you just want to focus on a particular point.

Keep in mind that precipitation on the model maps is usually what fell in the PREVIOUS 3 or 6 hours (usually 6), while temperatures listed are the INSTANTANEOUS temperatures (i.e., the temps at the end of those 3 or 6 hour periods).  This means you need to look at temperatures both at the beginning and end of those periods to get an idea of what kind of precipitation may fall.

Archived