e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
November Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea if they had a plan for being stuck there for longer than a week? 

Didn't sound that way but hopefully it was in the back of their minds. I'm not completely sure they could have known what they were in for.. I mean, I guess those guys would.. but maybe not.

Didn't sound that way but hopefully it was in the back of their minds. I'm not completely sure they could have known what they were in for.. I mean, I guess those guys would.. but maybe not.

Of course they would have the common sense to not go to a Bangladesh port city for the next Cat-4 monster cyclone hurtling towards the coast.... I do wonder how much analysis they did of what post-storm conditions would be like for this location in a Category 5. 

I understand the prevailing board attitude of defending chasers and their decisions, but in this case, it reads pretty lame to me for people to just be discounting the opinion of someone who's lived in the Philippines through a similar disaster.

Disagree, ok... But it's very clear why Tullioz would feel that way.

I'm probably going to skip that thread and all the FB stuff lol. I was legitly worried about Josh and obviously care for him in that sense but pretty much everything else about it is irresponsible and sad. No offense to them and I am glad they are fine. But maybe if you force yourself into a situation like that you shouldn't be able to be one of the first out. ;)

I'm probably going to skip that thread and all the FB stuff lol. I was legitly worried about Josh and obviously care for him in that sense but pretty much everything else about it is irresponsible and sad. No offense to them and I am glad they are fine. But maybe if you force yourself into a situation like that you shouldn't be able to be one of the first out. ;)

The only problem I have with making judgments right now is that we don't have a full story. I think it's only fair that Josh is given the opportunity to give a more full account of the event and their evacuation before people dogpile on him.

The only problem I have with making judgments right now is that we don't have a full story. I think it's only fair that Josh is given the opportunity to give a more full account of the event and their evacuation before people dogpile on him.

I'm not dogpilling at all. They chose to be there. While again I was worried about him mainly (I don't know the others), they put themselves there. In a region known for major water disasters during one of the biggest storms on record. You almost hope they leave scarred enough not to do it again..

I'm not dogpilling at all. They chose to be there. While again I was worried about him mainly (I don't know the others), they put themselves there. In a region known for major water disasters during one of the biggest storms on record. You almost hope they leave scarred enough not to do it again..

Oh yeah I wasn't saying you specifically were dogpiling - probably used that term too loosely. Just was speaking more to the fact that without any of us actually being there we can't say for sure what the circumstances were behind their being pulled out of the area on that transport. I have to imagine the things they saw are probably enough to keep them out of the game at least for a while. 

Was it crazy to go into a cat 5? Yes

Was there a chance to be killed? Yes

Were all precautions taken even when the choice was made to go? Yes

Would any of us do the same? Some would, some wouldn't

I agree with Kenny that we need to hear the whole story. I'm just glad they are ok and were able to help others. They knew the risks and seemed to do their best to not become a casualty. Sounds like any injuries were a result of assisting people as opposed to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Well based on a couple vids I watched this morning, they helped the locals. I'm not going to be quick to judge why they got a seat on a military vehicle until josh posts the story. None of us know exactly what happened and all the details.

Was it stupid to be there? Sure, I wouldn't go personally. But they did, they are ok and we should be relieved that they are ok. I'll wait until further details emerge before passing anymore judgement over their actions.

If by Josh now chasing a cat 5 can safely check it off his list then maybe we won't need to debate this again in the future. He's still gonna chase. I'm sure you will still chase and you probably have a strong desire to see an EF5 up close.

Well based on a couple vids I watched this morning, they helped the locals. I'm not going to be quick to judge why they got a seat on a military vehicle until josh posts the story. None of us know exactly what happened and all the details. Was it stupid to be there? Sure, I wouldn't go personally. But they did, they are ok and we should be relieved that they are ok. I'll wait until further details emerge before passing anymore judgement over their actions.

Those were well placed cuts. Josh is the man. I was very worried about him. I am glad he is safe. I can keep the blinders off though.  I do hope they got some data... that's the missing link in this storm. 

If by Josh now chasing a cat 5 can safely check it off his list then maybe we won't need to debate this again in the future. He's still gonna chase. I'm sure you will still chase and you probably have a strong desire to see an EF5 up close.

Maybe. I moved the opposite direction of El Reno. I value my life more than imagery.  This is a disaster worshiping board. It's not that surprising how people react here. Again, I have no qualms with Josh's reasoning to chase.. but I do overall hold more concern for the local population than people who put themselves in harms way and I'd say the exact same thing if I end up getting killed by an ef5 the same day a city gets shredded.

I don't have blinders on, Ian. I'm just not gonna get all pissed bc they took three seats on a C-130. Well placed cuts? That's ridiculous, sorta makes it sound like they just took a quick shot of them helping to look good.

you are not that naive...

No, I'd like to think I'm not. But not sure how else to take your well placed cuts comment.

I think you took my comment mostly correct.   I might have framed it slightly differently but little doubt it was included in the first cut to help stave off "why the hell were you guys there" comments.  Pretty standard chaser fare. 

Maybe. I moved the opposite direction of El Reno. I value my life more than imagery.  This is a disaster worshiping board. It's not that surprising how people react here. Again, I have no qualms with Josh's reasoning to chase.. but I do overall hold more concern for the local population than people who put themselves in harms way and I'd say the exact same thing if I end up getting killed by an ef5 the same day a city gets shredded.

If Josh and crew had died we would all be saddened but realize he put himself there. I think it is safe to say we all hope that there is as small of a number of lost lives as possible due to this storm. I prefer cat 5s that recurve to be honest. Let us ooh and ahhh over satellite images over water.

But since there is a breed of people that chase wx events there will be those who feel the need to go to where they happen. How that affects local efforts to recover is not known unless we are there.

No, I'd like to think I'm not. But not sure how else to take your well placed cuts comment.

I think you took my comment mostly correct. I might have framed it slightly differently but little doubt it was included in the first cut to help stave off "why the hell were you guys there" comments. Pretty standard chaser fare.

Ok

I have to agree with Ian here.

Again if Josh wants to chase I don't expect a rational explanation as to why. Big storms are memorizing. But he got maybe FB 1 like per death in a few mile radius [thousands] ... It's an ugly hobby that is hard to fully justify. Trust me I'm torn liking tornadoes and the scale is usually much smaller.

Again if Josh wants to chase I don't expect a rational explanation as to why. Big storms are memorizing. But he got maybe FB 1 like per death in a few mile radius [thousands] ... It's an ugly hobby that is hard to fully justify. Trust me I'm torn liking tornadoes and the scale is usually much smaller.

That part about FB likes might be a little much, Ian. I'm sure you will admit to hoping more people see your chase experiences whether it's from a scientific aspect or people who like visual images

Archived