• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

BOX is holding to a chilly Sunday and Monday, but the low 40's progged out this way are just a couple degrees cooler than the 44-46 we had on Oct 24, 25, and 29th. 

I'm not so sure they will run much colder here than forecast, but I think they'll be a bit more widespread allowing others who may have been warmer on those days to enjoy a couple cooler days.  My two cents.

61.6/50

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the Euro ensembles aren't a good look if you extrapolate the D15 pattern...obviously that is dangerous to do given the time range, but we do not want to see the lowering heights near AK...with the AO strongly positive on that composite, that would definitely furnace us beyond that time range.

We'll see if that is a trend or not though. We did have some brief runs a week or two ago that showed a more positive looking EPO than is actually verifying. Still, with the AO staying pretty positive in the means, it doesn't leave a lot of ways to get deep cold...you end up relying on the EPO so much more.

Yeah the Euro ensembles aren't a good look if you extrapolate the D15 pattern...obviously that is dangerous to do given the time range, but we do not want to see the lowering heights near AK...with the AO strongly positive on that composite, that would definitely furnace us beyond that time range.

We'll see if that is a trend or not though. We did have some brief runs a week or two ago that showed a more positive looking EPO than is actually verifying. Still, with the AO staying pretty positive in the means, it doesn't leave a lot of ways to get deep cold...you end up relying on the EPO so much more.

Agreed with this. 

Didn't the 00z euro ensemble mean have more ridging in the EPO region D15?

Looks like Nov 12 if you ask me, but like you said it is a day 15 prog on both ens,and it is only Nov.

Yes, which is why we have to wait and see if today's 12z run is a trend or just a hiccup. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet, it is still early in the month and we havent had persistent vortex over the EPO region in late autumn like we've seen in so many positive EPO winters...it broke up in early October.

Still, I think the leaning tendency is definitely tilting toward a +AO winter. We can get away with with a +AO winter like we did in '07-'08 (at least central and northern regions) along with years like '92-'93 or '83-'84 or '75-'76...but you'd obviously rather not gamble on trying to beat the odds in the +AO winters.

Yeah but there is also a tendency to flatten it and have retro or rebuild further west closer to Kamchatka which will only enhance the lower heights over the west. That's where I'm seeing a warmer signal. It doesn't mean torch with +10 temps, but AN I think is a good bet.  If it starts to build poleward then that's where you get the cross polar flow and dump of cold further south into the US. At the very least the deep south and possibly Mid ATlantic will be rather warm.

Not a big fan of the 11-15 day but it could be worse I guess. Subtle signs of +NAO easing a bit, but then EPO starts to go into the crapper.

we will have to see where this takes us going forward as you have stated its only Nov and so far no epic death vortex. I do like the tendency to drop AO NAO a bit, maybe signs of something later, who knows but perhaps we go into real winter with better chances and outlooks, right now it seems pretty typical November type weather, its not a winter month anywhere until the last week when NNE starts winter. 

00z Euro ensembles still signaling dropping heights over AK by D14/D15. 

Almost seems like the low heights over Kamchatka retrograde a bit and the whole thing goes to hell. 

GEFS a bit better... but the ridging backs west from the EPO region to the Aleutians. Not a furnace but a mild pattern.

Note the SE ridge/positive height anomalies that continue to pop up on both models. Gradient -PNA pattern with storm track west keeping us on the mild side. 

Better hope the longer term ensemble forecasts are incorrect about the EPO neutralizing toward mid/late November, as that set-up going into December would mean furnace city (+EPO/+AO/+NAO/-PNA). Overall there's more bad than good on modeling right now going forward.

something I like to do with the 8-14 day SUPERGEFSENS analog lists is to plot the analogs and roll them forward 4 weeks. what it shows is the Yo Yo pattern continuing into Dec. This of course leads to variable outcomes for the NE but like now the predominate feature is warmth, however as we approach the first week of Dec huge height falls appear suggesting potential for storminess. sometimes these analogs have worked out very well over the years, sometimes not so well. I did it for this past week a month ago and it was solid. Lets see what happens.

current days 8-11 outlook

Week 3 which would be roughly 11/23

Week four roughly 11/30

Week five roughly 12/7

Week six roughly 12/14

Better hope the longer term ensemble forecasts are incorrect about the EPO neutralizing toward mid/late November, as that set-up going into December would mean furnace city (+EPO/+AO/+NAO/-PNA). Overall there's more bad than good on modeling right now going forward.

Be that as it may, if events can time just so, we can still manage some wintry events in spite of mild regime--especially since each passing day the norm drops and the temp of the AN will tend to follow.

I'm still thinking a white Thanksgiving here in GC is within reach.

56.4/44

Thanksgiving 1993?  I don't remember that too well.....I was living in Stamford, CT then, and probably was in Old Lyme for Thanksgiving.  Vague recollection of a little snow there on the shoreline.  I wonder how that was up this way.

Thanksgiving 1993? Think Leon Lett.

Archived