joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want a torch soooo bad.  Back in the depths of winter I use to wake up and look at the 10 day euro hoping for snowstorms and deep troughs, now I look for signs of a torch and pumped up southeast ridge.   

I'm so done, and not because of this recent disappointment.  Even if we had gotten 10" I'd be saying the same thing.  It is time...it's just time to end this...it's been going on since November.   A great run indeed, I'll give this winter an A-, but enough already.   I'm tired of a salt-encrusted car, month-old glacier mounds, the shock of walking out of a warm building into the biting cold, the endless gray skies, cabin fever, desolate sidewalks and streets as a result of everyone hibernating, chapped lips and dry skin, stale inside air....etc etc.

I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, see joggers, walkers, and neighbors out and about again, the smell of cut grass, the breeze blowing through an open window, fishing, hiking, and just driving with the window down.   You done good old man winter, now it's time to move on.

I want a torch soooo bad.  Back in the depths of winter I use to wake up and look at the 10 day euro hoping for snowstorms and deep troughs, now I look for signs of a torch and pumped up southeast ridge.   

I'm so done, and not because of this recent disappointment.  Even if we had gotten 10" I'd be saying the same thing.  It is time...it's just time to end this...it's been going on since November.   A great run indeed, I'll give this winter an A-, but enough already.   I'm tired of a salt-encrusted car, month-old glacier mounds, the shock of walking out of a warm building into the biting cold, the endless gray skies, cabin fever, desolate sidewalks and streets as a result of everyone hibernating, chapped lips and dry skin, stale inside air....etc etc.

I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, see joggers, walkers, and neighbors out and about again, the smell of cut grass, the breeze blowing through an open window, fishing, hiking, and just driving with the window down.   You done good old man winter, now it's time to move on.

Ready for winter to be over!!!! May go to NC the end of the month just to see sun and warm again!!

+10000  that was beautiful LOL

Nice soliloquy, Buckeye.

Feels like Winter is over, so I will bid you guys adieu.

Enjoyed coming here and reading your posts for so many snows, so much frigid air.

Only a few months until it starts all over again.

Won't be long before folks are talking about the possibilities of a white Christmas!

Enjoy the warm weather and the great outdoors.

See ya in November

Winter is definitely doing all it can to hang on. How many analogs can you find where cold air simply overpowered WAA in March? This last storm isn't a normal occurrence this late in the winter. I don't think winter is done yet. I look for one last hoorah mid to late month then a warm up soon after. But winter does not want to loosen it's grip yet.

Winter is definitely doing all it can to hang on. How many analogs can you find where cold air simply overpowered WAA in March? This last storm isn't a normal occurrence this late in the winter. I don't think winter is done yet. I look for one last hoorah mid to late month then a warm up soon after. But winter does not want to loosen it's grip yet.

I agree. If there is going to be a Winter with late season snows, this is the one. Snow in April?

I know we're not finished.   But getting a 'break' to near normal for a few days will be awesome.   Later next week already looking ominous.   Euro has big snows just to our north with a storm coming out of the center of the country.   The fact that it's March, and recent trends have been to the south, doesn't bode well for us on the southern fringes who are yelling 'enough already'.  

Steve,

I'm a bit superstitious so next year you need to fire up the new thread on Sept. 25th again....this should ensure another snowy winter, hopefully not as long though.

Hoosier,

Thanks for not breaking the thread once it got so long.  I'm not sure if that was a conscious decision or not, but it's nice to be able to refer back to this as one long thread.

I know we're not finished.   But getting a 'break' to near normal for a few days will be awesome.   Later next week already looking ominous.   Euro has big snows just to our north with a storm coming out of the center of the country.   The fact that it's March, and recent trends have been to the south, doesn't bode well for us on the southern fringes who are yelling 'enough already'.  

Steve,

I'm a bit superstitious so next year you need to fire up the new thread on Sept. 25th again....this should ensure another snowy winter, hopefully not as long though.

Hoosier,

Thanks for not breaking the thread once it got so long.  I'm not sure if that was a conscious decision or not, but it's nice to be able to refer back to this as one long thread.

Looks like "potential" on 168 hour Euro. Will it happen? Nope. Not this year. Dam King!

Looks like "potential" on 168 hour Euro. Will it happen? Nope. Not this year. Dam King!

bump....man, cricket, cricket in here. I know you are all ready for spring but there is potential here for one more disappointment, I mean storm. LOL Yes, this one mid-next week looks messy, but still many, many more model runs to go. C'mon! Let's go out with a bang!

Larry C. is talking about a big snowstorm next week..Mentioned Columbus as one of the cities to get snow!! REALLY??

Ah, hello, c my posts from yesterday & few days ago. I'm on an island here!!!! Jeez. Every1 so pumped 4 spring. I am 2 but it wld b nice 2 go out w/ a bang!

He's getting pissed at me. Lol. Idc really. As of now his map is wrong. I like Larry and he's a damn good met but as of now he is off on this. Ggem is a good hit. Gfs is warm, 0z euro was a slop storm rain to snow. NAM is warm. He has the snow line down in KY. I just don't see it. Not yet at least.

Haven't been impressed with this one, even when models were further south, (and yes they've come north a bit except for the ggem).   I think it's a combination of winter fatigue and the reality that this will be nothing more than a slushy accum at best on grassy surfaces.   No one in the subforum gets clobbered that hard, (much over 6").   The euro shows the greatest axis around 6" cutting from central IN to northern OH...the ggem has the same location but tops amounts at around 4"...and those are from the overly generous wxbell snowmaps.   One big factor against anyone hoping for a clobbering is the fact that most of us will be close to, if not above 60 the next two days.   You guys recall a snowfall we had, (I think it was back in December), when it warmed to upper 50s the day before and we ended up with like 6" of snow that looked like 3" and didn't even accumulate on paved surfaces?   I remember commenting it looked like a March snowfall.   Consider that was when the sun angle was at it's lowest too.

As far as LC's map, it's hard to critique because there are no specifics.  Afterall, it could very well snow heavily in the areas he's showing for a few hours, accums are the question.

Haven't been impressed with this one, even when models were further south, (and yes they've come north a bit except for the ggem).   I think it's a combination of winter fatigue and the reality that this will be nothing more than a slushy accum at best on grassy surfaces.   No one in the subforum gets clobbered that hard, (much over 6").   The euro shows the greatest axis around 6" cutting from central IN to northern OH...the ggem has the same location but tops amounts at around 4"...and those are from the overly generous wxbell snowmaps.   One big factor against anyone hoping for a clobbering is the fact that most of us will be close to, if not above 60 the next two days.   You guys recall a snowfall we had, (I think it was back in December), when it warmed to upper 50s the day before and we ended up with like 6" of snow that looked like 3" and didn't even accumulate on paved surfaces?   I remember commenting it looked like a March snowfall.   Consider that was when the sun angle was at it's lowest too.

As far as LC's map, it's hard to critique because there are no specifics.  Afterall, it could very well snow heavily in the areas he's showing for a few hours, accums are the question.

I read a disco from one met who mentioned that snowfall totals may be dependent upon when spotters take their measurements.

ACCUMULATIONS IN THESE AREAS ARE EXPECTED TO BE NEAR ADVISORY
CRITERIA. THE NAM HAS BEEN COMING IN WITH A LOT LESS PRECIP THAN
OTHER MODELS COVERING THE SAME TIME. SOUTHERN ORIGIN SYSTEMS HAVE
BEEN BEATING US UP THIS WINTER WITH A SNEAKILY LOWER QPF AND
GENERALLY WARMER ATMOSPHERIC PROFILE.
THINGS THAT THE NAM HAD BEEN
POINTING TO WHEN THOSE STORMS WERE COMING IN ITS SHORTER TIME
FRAME. WITH THIS IN MIND...DO NOT SEE THE WARNING CRITERIA OF 6
INCHES OVER NORTHERN CWA AND A WATCH IS NOT THE PRUDENT PRODUCT AT
THIS TIME.

Thought this was a strange comment from ILN.  The only southern system that was warmer and drier than expected was the Jan 5th event.    The early Feb system that dumped 10" on us was colder and wetter than expected.   The last system, last Sunday was drier, but that was because it missed us to the south and therefore was colder.    Am I missing something here?   Other than Jan 5th we really haven't fallen victim to the WTOD or miss to the north much at all this winter.

Archived