Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree I think sunday will tell the tale. I also want to say thank you to everyone ive been sittin back for a while and just recently joined. But I have learned so much from you guys and I really aprishiate all the time and effort you put in. God bless!

Welcome to the board!  

One thing ive noticied on the gfs and im just a wienie correct me if im wrong. Is the high pressure in the Midwest at hr 78 on 0z yesterday now is in the northeast around upstate New York. As it slides out to sea could that result in blocking and help track the low more nw? I personally would love to see this thing turn into a piedmont runner for us here in the mtns. Measure in feet instead of inches for a change! Either way the cold coming in afterwards and even a possible noreaster in late march is rare and fun to watch. IMO

Starting to look like hoping for a bomb won't help the mountains. Just wants to track offshore, putting snow at the coast. Perhaps instead of wishing for a phase, hope the back piece of energy just does its own thing for the mountains. Canadian and GFS are not too bad for a few inches in the mountains. Frankly, I'd rather be in the mountains for this instead of wish-casting a bomb on the coast. Good luck for a mountain encore!

Any word on ski areas going past March 23?  :ski:

Starting to look like hoping for a bomb won't help the mountains. Just wants to track offshore, putting snow at the coast. Perhaps instead of wishing for a phase, hope the back piece of energy just does its own thing for the mountains. Canadian and GFS are not too bad for a few inches in the mountains. Frankly, I'd rather be in the mountains for this instead of wish-casting a bomb on the coast. Good luck for a mountain encore!

Any word on ski areas going past March 23?  :ski:

I was wondering why GSP said "a clipper system" will come through in their HWO. That explains it. Usually these are quick hitters and moisture starved this time of year, at least around here. Maybe this one will be different.

Looks like a WWA type flow snow for some of the boarder counties.  A good push of some really cold March air for a couple days. This has been a great thread this year (Thanks 85!) with some epic cold & one pounder. Really enjoy having our own area to banter about. I am off to the Panhandle on Thursday night and Spring fever is setting in. Been a great Winter with you guys!

Looks like a WWA type flow snow for some of the boarder counties.  A good push of some really cold March air for a couple days. This has been a great thread this year (Thanks 85!) with some epic cold & one pounder. Really enjoy having our own area to banter about. I am off to the Panhandle on Thursday night and Spring fever is setting in. Been a great Winter with you guys!

Thanks Don! It has been a great year! We have acquired some more people and we have some really knowledgeable people in here! I was thinking about making a spring/summer thread for us. What do you all think about that?

Thanks Don! It has been a great year! We have acquired some more people and we have some really knowledgeable people in here! I was thinking about making a spring/summer thread for us. What do you all think about that?

It will just be hundreds of posts ranting about Florida drivers.

Yeah thanks Met!  I would love to have a spring/summer thread simple because of the micro-climate we live in.  I know Mike is participating in the NASA (I believe) precip study and it would be cool for him to have a place to post those.  Hopefully I can add a few time-lapse's this year as I have taken that up as a new hobby.  I still think we see flakes maybe .5" here in the valley Tuesday but I am ready for spring!

Edit: Haha Jburns

All right Mr Greenie, I resemble that remark!......except maybe the 45 part. The half backs give us true Floridians a bad name. I gotta say though it's kinda funny how everyone moans & groans as soon as they see a Florida tag but the backer spittin farmer in the rusty pick up truck doing the same thing gets a free pass!???

Lol they are the worst in the mountains! They drive 45 in a 60 mph zone!

LOL, I see what you mean after tonight. One of them nearly killed me and others in my car while in Polk County on way back from Myrtle. Slowed down to 30 suddenly from 60 and we had to dodge him... SMH. 

All right Mr Greenie, I resemble that remark!......except maybe the 45 part. The half backs give us true Floridians a bad name. I gotta say though it's kinda funny how everyone moans & groans as soon as they see a Florida tag but the backer spittin farmer in the rusty pick up truck doing the same thing gets a free pass!???

Not where I from, haha. These tractors going 10 mph from one tobacco field to another are so annoying!

Yeah thanks Met! I would love to have a spring/summer thread simple because of the micro-climate we live in. I know Mike is participating in the NASA (I believe) precip study and it would be cool for him to have a place to post those. Hopefully I can add a few time-lapse's this year as I have taken that up as a new hobby. I still think we see flakes maybe .5" here in the valley Tuesday but I am ready for spring!

Edit: Haha Jburns

Good points about this summer thread. Maybe some more mountain folks can chime in. I am liking the look of tonight through Wednesday morning for some snow. Seem like we get two batches of snow. One from batch coming from the south then some upslope snow. The name looks pretty good but think it is under doing the upslope effect.

Good points about this summer thread. Maybe some more mountain folks can chime in. I am liking the look of tonight through Wednesday morning for some snow. Seem like we get two batches of snow. One from batch coming from the south then some upslope snow. The name looks pretty good but think it is under doing the upslope effect.

How about, 

"NC Mountain Weather-Warm Season Discussion Thread"? 

What happen to the snowstorm that Jason and a couple of others thought the wnc area was going to get? at one time Jason thought Buncombe County would do pretty good with this storm. did it fizzle out or go to far south of the area? I'm in Hilton Head and thought I was going to miss a good snowstorm.

What happen to the snowstorm that Jason and a couple of others thought the wnc area was going to get? at one time Jason thought Buncombe County would do pretty good with this storm. did it fizzle out or go to far south of the area? I'm in Hilton Head and thought I was going to miss a good snowstorm.

Majority of the storm is offshore (and an epic storm at that). Cape Cod and Nova Scotia will get impacted pretty hard, but it's no big deal otherwise for USA. 

Lol they are the worst in the mountains! They drive 45 in a 60 mph zone!

Yeaah but the driving is the least im worried about look at all the land there buying up and makin them big ole fancy gated comminuties. Makes me sick And land just keeps goin up up up its guna get to were the mtns are a retirement home! And the ppl that have lived here for generations will be gone.

Edit: Sorry guys for a rant but it just really hits at home I love these mtns more than anything. Gone are the days of tha ol timers. Really have enjoyed this winter thanks for everyones input I really have learned a lot from you guys and really apprishiate the time and effort yall have put in and the detail to witch u go has taught me a lot Thanks God bless

Yeaah but the driving is the least im worried about look at all the land there buying up and makin them big ole fancy gated comminuties. Makes me sick And land just keeps goin up up up its guna get to were the mtns are a retirement home! And the ppl that have lived here for generations will be gone.

You paint a depressing picture but ya they have drove up the prices also on land which makes it darn near impossible for locals to buy land. Shoot I was just looking last night and there was lots of 1 to 2 acres that was trying to be sold for 100 thousand dollars in a gated community.

Archived