• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

The NWS has snow for us Saturday night and Sunday morning. Winter just wont give up!

Looks like it may get windy also lol.

Haha I love it!  The new simulated radar on weather bell for the Euro absolutely slammed the high mountains.  A few pinks(+9") accumulation showing up on the snowfall map with the 2" stripe making it all the way into downtown, but I doubt the latter happens.  Nonetheless, it will be fun to track a cutoff going right over top of us and seeing snowfall once again.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I love it!  The new simulated radar on weather bell for the Euro absolutely slammed the high mountains.  A few pinks(+9") accumulation showing up on the snowfall map with the 2" stripe making it all the way into downtown, but I doubt the latter happens.  Nonetheless, it will be fun to track a cutoff going right over top of us and seeing snowfall once again.

Man you never know in these situations especially with these upper lows and deep moisture. Might be some crazy conditions Saturday night into Sunday morning with the High Winds and heavy snow.

Man you never know in these situations especially with these upper lows and deep moisture. Might be some crazy conditions Saturday night into Sunday morning with the High Winds and heavy snow.

Yeah I agree you could see some blizzard like conditions at your house!  The timing is near perfect too.  I am really liking how this is unfolding.  Hopefully we can get the low to pop a 546 contour earlier then the GFS and its ensemble insist on producing.  I know that I will be up for this event, ha thats for sure.

The NWS has snow for us Saturday night and Sunday morning. Winter just wont give up!

A builder friend working nearby took this pic of my mtn top yesterday.  It is clear that Winter is lingering in the high country. However, after the pending minor event that is coming tonight..I will declare Winter over and time to move on to all the warm stuff that occurs during the warm season!

post-9361-0-01298000-1396086528_thumb.jp

...THE FORECAST FOR GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN NC AT 5946 FT...

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM EDT

SUNDAY...

.REST OF TODAY...CLOUDY...SHOWERS. IN THE CLOUDS ALL AFTERNOON.

HIGHS AROUND 50. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 25 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 36 MPH.

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS UNTIL MIDNIGHT. A CHANCE

OF SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH THE NIGHT. IN THE CLOUDS AT TIMES DURING THE

EVENING. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 40 TO 45 MPH...

INCREASING TO 55 TO 60 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 96 MPH. WIND

CHILL VALUES IN THE LOWER TEENS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE UPPER

30S. NORTHWEST WINDS 60 TO 65 MPH...INCREASING TO 65 TO 70 MPH IN

THE AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP TO 107 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE LOWER

TEENS.

So is it January or is it March? Temps are dropping like a rock! Temp down to 35 degrees with wind whipped rain. Winds are really howling out there. I think we could see one heck of a snowstorm in the favored areas tonight into tomorrow morning. Man I love this weather!

I have 40.5 with some pretty gusty winds.  The radar looks like a beefed up NFWS.

Almost there. Well vehicles and patio furniture are covered with snow. Big flakes.

Oh yeah we are working our way down there!  37.4 right now with possible flakes mixing in with the big gusts.  This one looks to have all the tangibles of a decent mountain snow.  Precip on radar looks to be making it to the buncombe/madison line and then we have some radar blockage so things could get interesting in the valley in the next hour or two.

Oh yeah we are working our way down there!  37.8 right now with possible flakes mixing in with the big gusts.  This one looks to have all the tangibles of a decent mountain snow.  Precip on radar looks to be making it to the buncombe/madison line and then we have some radar blockage so things could get interesting in the valley in the next hour or two.

Ya I agree. Hope yall see some snow on the ground in the morning. We are at 30 degrees with moderate to heavy snow falling still.

Several inches ended up falling on the mtn top as it appears that winds were so strong that there was some spill over of snow showers from the Smokies into the Centeral & Northern parts of the Balsams.  Mt.LeConte was buried under 12" of snow with 2 foot snow drifts!!

Winds are gusting up to 92 mph at Grandfather at the present time.

This was likely the final storm of the season except for perhaps elevations above 4500 feet. All in all-not too shabby of Winter although snowfall was a little on the lean side locally.

Pic of Hemp Hill this morning:

post-9361-0-27006000-1396182478_thumb.pn

Nice Mike! We ended up with 3 inches of heavy wet paste. Looks like middle of winter out there. Man I love this weather. This will not be our last snow. Look for the second week of April to bring some fun.

I must admire your enthusiasm for second consecutive winter what will not quit.

Nice Mike! We ended up with 3 inches of heavy wet paste. Looks like middle of winter out there. Man I love this weather. This will not be our last snow. Look for the second week of April to bring some fun.

Euro Ensemble agrees with you somewhat.  Had around a half inch when I went to bed and its all gone now!

Archived