• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Yeaah but the driving is the least im worried about look at all the land there buying up and makin them big ole fancy gated comminuties. Makes me sick And land just keeps goin up up up its guna get to were the mtns are a retirement home! And the ppl that have lived here for generations will be gone.

Edit: Sorry guys for a rant but it just really hits at home I love these mtns more than anything. Gone are the days of tha ol timers. Really have enjoyed this winter thanks for everyones input I really have learned a lot from you guys and really apprishiate the time and effort yall have put in and the detail to witch u go has taught me a lot Thanks God bless

land and housing prices are in the toilet and most subdivision have gone bankrupt.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every model now shows some type of accumulating snowfall for wnc tomorrow morning as the GFS follow suit behind the nam and rgem.  Good trends fellas, it looks like there will be a nice surprise to wake up to tomorrow morning.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of you higher mountain folks above 3500' get 4"+ total overall.

You paint a depressing picture but ya they have drove up the prices also on land which makes it darn near impossible for locals to buy land. Shoot I was just looking last night and there was lots of 1 to 2 acres that was trying to be sold for 100 thousand dollars in a gated community.

To be fair, it was 10K for the land and 90K for the gate.

Back on topic here in a weather thread.

Every model now shows some type of accumulating snowfall for wnc tomorrow morning as the GFS follow suit behind the nam and rgem.  Good trends fellas, it looks like there will be a nice surprise to wake up to tomorrow morning.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of you higher mountain folks above 3500' get 4"+ total overall.

I agree.

MADISON-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-
INCLUDING THE CITY OF...WAYNESVILLE
256 PM EDT MON MAR 24 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
MIDNIGHT EDT TUESDAY NIGHT ABOVE 3500 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY ABOVE 3500 FEET FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN
EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT EDT TUESDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS...ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3500 FEET IN THE CENTRAL AND
  SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS OF WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA.

* HAZARDS...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL LIKELY DEVELOP FROM THE SOUTHWEST DURING THE
  EARLY MORNING HOURS TUESDAY. STEADY SNOWFALL WILL BECOME
  OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH LATE TUESDAY...AND SLOWLY TAPER
  OFF LATE TUESDAY EVENING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES...WITH SOME
  4 TO 5 INCH TOTALS ALONG THE HIGHEST RIDGE TOPS...OVER THE 24
  HOUR PERIOD.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WILL CREATE SLIPPERY CONDITIONS
  ON AREA ROADWAYS.

* TEMPERATURES...MAINLY IN THE LOWER 30S.

* WINDS...LIGHT WINDS EARLY. WEST WINDS INCREASING TO 10 TO 20 MPH
  WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW
WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW
COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

One thing I have noticed is that the GFS shows some upslope snow and the NAM does not. I think the GFS is right with this guidance and the NAM is wrong. Looks like we get a pretty decent burst of snow through the mountains tomorrow morning and then upslope later in the day. Also man it is going to get cold. I mean are we in February or March? Could see several places anywhere from 10-15 degrees come Wednesday morning.

One thing I have noticed is that the GFS shows some upslope snow and the NAM does not. I think the GFS is right with this guidance and the NAM is wrong. Looks like we get a pretty decent burst of snow through the mountains tomorrow morning and then upslope later in the day. Also man it is going to get cold. I mean are we in February or March? Could see several places anywhere from 10-15 degrees come Wednesday morning.

Yeah 85' I expect the radar to light up over East Tenn. & Kentucky similar to the most recent event that we had.  Might have pretty decent snowfall from 7pm thru 11pm or so, later the higher up you are.

Yeah 85' I expect the radar to light up over East Tenn. & Kentucky similar to the most recent event that we had.  Might have pretty decent snowfall from 7pm thru 11pm or so, later the higher up you are.

Yes it did. We had three inches that round. The thing we have going for us is the temps will be dropping tomorrow through the day I believe or most likely stay at or below freezing which is very impressive for this time of the year.

I'm going with trace to one inch for this one manly because models don't see this microclimate well...

however, HRRR, SREF, and 4km NAM all look pretty good so far with 1-2 inches in Bumcombe County increasing toward the mountains on either side of the county. RAP do not like WNC, however.

Nice! Still pouring here. 2 inches on the ground. Roads are white and temps have fallen. Very slick out. Jab had reports near the boarder of already 3-4 inches on the ground. GFS still holds serve.

Wow thats crazy!  The flakes are huge here, very impressive lift associated with this storm!  No accumulation here yet but its starting to stick to cars.

Nice! Still pouring here. 2 inches on the ground. Roads are white and temps have fallen. Very slick out. Jab had reports near the boarder of already 3-4 inches on the ground. GFS still holds serve.

A good 4 hours of moderate to heavy snow fell on the mtn top with temp in the low 20's.  The upslope snow that should kick in later looks interesting. Very high inversion heights....excellent snow growth in the clouds..convective nature..March sun heating..looking for snow squalls this afternoon. The squalls should have no problem crossing the TN line this afternoon although I think it should mostly be confined to near the TN line tonight. 

Current pic of Balsam Gap:

post-9361-0-82095100-1395742643_thumb.jp

Morning fellas, I have about .75" on the ground in Weaverville. Shot about a minute of vid. about 6:20 am while it was really coming down. Temp is 31.8°. Great to see some white ground. Boarder guys are going to cash nicely on this one. Gotta love March weather.....Snow & Cold but, in 72+ hours I will be fishing in 70°+ temps!

Archived